[VIDEO] Cherokee 6 crash caught on video

Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by AggieMike88, May 3, 2017.

1. AggieMike88

AggieMike88 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Now offering reverse discounts.
  2. Rebel Lord

Rebel Lord Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Rebel Lord
    Traffic pattern stall looks like :(

Edit: ok went back and read the article and they survived thank god! I just watched the video and figured they were goners

3. Rebel Lord

Rebel Lord Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Rebel Lord
    Found this gem in the commments

Jason Edwards
    9:44 AM CDT

We are getting far too many smaller aircraft in OUR skies. Many of these planes are not only poorly maintained, but are flown for sport and just total waste. Most have no noise abatement or very poor muffling on their engines. We need more control over who flies these and why. Keep these troublesome cowboy small aircraft away from our cities. Make sure they are flown from small rural airports only. Return control of OUR skies to us -- not just a few who always abuse the privilege. We do NOT return to our posts.

Cooter likes this.
  4. Tantalum

Tantalum Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    San_Diego_Pilot
    That came up on my newsfeed this morning, and right under it so did this - the frustrating part is the difference in reaction in the comments. There was also a crash a few months ago in my home town on the east coast at LWM, turned out the plane was a home built... well the comments on WBUR's FB home page were remarkable, suggesting that the builder be given a Darwin award for flying a "home built"

Times like this I become very disappointed in society and am thankful that I'm part of a group of individuals (see: pilots) who generally have a higher level of logic and rationality to their thoughts, and I can retreat to my PoA-Airport-Club-FBO safe space (no, not a skinny jeans mocha latte coffee sheep safe space, rant for another time). We disagree on these threads often, but I've found that pilots are generally a smart and pragmatic group of people who don't just have blind opinions but stand by them with evidence, etc. Sure the pilot community can sometimes a little stand-off-ish... but maybe part of that is just a product of everything else

I do wish AOPA did more to educate the public and work to improve the perception of small planes. That's honestly become one of my top motivators to be a safe pilot, to not give another reason for a career activist to come after GA

Cykoguy likes this.
  5. SkyDog58

SkyDog58 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Old dog w/o new tricks
    And that idiot probably owns a dirt bike and a speed boat and other toys just for sport.

6. BigBadLou

BigBadLou En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Lou
    Spoiler alert: majority of general populace is comprised of dumbsh*t bast*rd inbred rednecks or plan sh*theads.
    Sorry, you can't change it. Well, unless you make the government repeal laws that prevent natural selection. :)

So don't be surprised to read stupida** comments like these anywhere. Especially if the video ends up on FecesBook, that will be fun to read. :D

Art VanDelay and tawood like this.
  7. Caramon13

Caramon13 Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Romeo
    Was watching an old episode of Airplane Repo (yeah i know...) the other day and Kevin Lacey had just lifted a twin from someplace, engine was dying and two things just stuck out knowing what I know now..

1 - The "narrator" was saying how if the plane got below 84 knots it would stall AND CRASH. Uh...maybe that's blue line but stall and crash, geeze..over dramatic much?
    2 - Kevin presumably had an engine out and during an approach just "went around" on one engine after deciding against a landing spot. The ease at which he climbed out further reinforces the stupid notions shows like this feed to the general public as in, one engine generates the same power as two engines and it's a "spare".

Comments like the one in that new article make you wonder if someone is really THAT stupid, or just trolling for responses. Probably a little bit of both. I too am glad that I have more knowledge about flying then the general unwashed population. I can call BS on anyone that tries to be an "expert" about small planes but has never been in one.

TRocket likes this.
  8. SkyDog58

SkyDog58 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Old dog w/o new tricks
    APOA does quite a bit but possibly not all they can do in the area of public perception of GA. So I agree. But let me ask you and others what you do in the way of GA advocacy.

One thing that I have been doing though very minor is sharing positive stories about GA with people who might find the story interesting or meaningful to them.

For instance, my wife is involved in animal rescue (primarily dogs). So whenever I see a story or video about flying rescues, I forward it to her and she shares it with her circle.

My sister has a kid with special medical needs so whenever I see a story about a pilot flying sick kids, guess who I send it to?

I've also done it for other people with other causes when the opportunity arises.

What if we all did this every time we had the chance? How large of an impact could it have on public perceptions of GA?

9. Skyrys62

Skyrys62 Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Skyrys62
    This makes me feel both better and worse about flying.

As to the 'comments' by others.. I agree that there are much more unsafe people on the roads, rivers, and even sidewalks nowadays.
    I bet there have been more killings over road rage alone, than aircraft crashes (especially fatal ones)...much less the number of deaths from car accidents.

FloridaPilot likes this.
  10. MickYoumans

MickYoumans Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    MickYoumans
    What is so amazing to me is that 100 people die in car wrecks every day in the US, but nobody gets up in arms over that. Let a plane crash anywhere in the country and the activist crowd starts their 'chicken little' complaining about the sky falling. We as a pilot community need to do better about educating the less informed public.

11. BigBadLou

BigBadLou En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Lou
    I dare you to post that as a response to the stupid comments by the retarded monkeys. Good luck! :D

12. Skyrys62

Skyrys62 Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Skyrys62
    Hilarious.

I double dare

TRocket likes this.
  13. cowman

cowman En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Cowman
    When I read stuff like this I am really glad that GA is such a niche thing that few people outside of it's own community pay much attention to. Seems like everywhere I look there's always some fool trying to take away another joy I have in life because of the 1 in a billion chance of injury or because it offends their delicate sensibilities. I wonder how someone gets so miserable.... or so self-important that they think they have the right.

Tantalum likes this.
  14. Bobanna

Bobanna Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bobanna

We are getting far too many smaller aircraft in OUR skies. Many of these planes are not only poorly maintained, but are flown for sport and just total waste. Most have no noise abatement or very poor muffling on their engines. We need more control over who flies these and why. Keep these troublesome cowboy small aircraft away from our cities. Make sure they are flown from small rural airports only. Return control of OUR skies to us -- not just a few who always abuse the privilege. We do NOT return to our posts.
    [/QUOTE]

Definitely "fah'qwad."

Omalley1537 and denverpilot like this.
  15. drotto

drotto Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    drotto

Definitely "fah'qwad."[/QUOTE]
    I wish there was an explosion of interest in GA with new planes and new pilots. The world would be a better, cheaper, and more excepting place for us existing pilots. Added bonus would be scaring the crap out of people like this who have no idea what it takes to be a pilot, or how much mantinance is required on these "crappy" planes.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

16. Anthony

Anthony Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Anthony
    A lot of it is just ignorance as most of the general public know only large, commercial airliners as there only contact with aircraft. The rest is jealousy because they do not have the freedom, and/or wherewithal to fly airplanes. They can't do it, so they don't want us to be able to do it.

Omalley1537 and TRocket like this.
  17. drotto

Display Name:

Display name:
    drotto
    I also love that almost all non pilots think that everyone that owns a plane of any type is a multi millionaire.

18. Tantalum

Tantalum Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    San_Diego_Pilot
    Someone recently must have been connecting through MSP from a wide body, because the person boarding the 757 infront of me on the phone was complaining of how "small" the connecting flight plane was since it only had 1 aisle

*Then there was the guy getting on the brand new Dash 8 complaining to his companion that he didn't know airlines still flew old propeller planes around

denverpilot likes this.
  19. jordane93

jordane93 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jordan
    When people say, "this is the smallest plane I've been on (CRJ)" to me, I just say "this is the biggest plane I've flown!"

20. ARFlyer

ARFlyer En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    ARFlyer
    I've said that before. Someone had the nerve to reply, "then your not a real pilot"!

It took a lot for me not to punch that dude.

iflyvfr and jordane93 like this.
  21. denverpilot

denverpilot Taxi to Parking

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    But I don't know of any charities that cater to transporting morons!

(The airlines have a lock on that one, I think!)

:)

LOL!

NealRomeoGolf and SkyDog58 like this.
  22. ircphoenix

ircphoenix Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    ircphoenix
    Why? My reply would have been like "And you're riding in my airplane. Best of luck to both of us!"

Tantalum likes this.
  23. SkyDog58

SkyDog58 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Old dog w/o new tricks
    True!!!!

:lol:

24. TRocket

TRocket Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Uncle Jesse
    I would say that is pretty close, and then of course the ignorance of the general public overall, seems these days everyone is an expert on things they know nothing about and are the first to tell you what is wrong about it. You don't know whether to politely educate them, just ignore them, or choke slam them. We fly on chartered 737's every week for work out of a smaller regional airport here (JQF) and it blows my mind how many passengers critique the landings or even approaches EVERY DANG WEEK (granted we have had a couple rough ones over the years but its a smaller field for that plane). "We're comin' in too hot!", "We are way to high", "There were way too many of those little blue lights before we landed!" A couple years ago had to actually go around, and oh dear. This guy's wife lost it, "OMG, what just happened, this is so dangerous, I am complaining and never flying on this plane again!" All I could think of.....

FloridaPilot and Zeldman like this.
  25. Ravioli

Ravioli En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Pasta Man
    Oh lordy. You are out of your mind.

You sound like @Ravioli when he says cars kill more people EVERY year than guns do in ANY year. And that if you dodge the "bullet" or the "Dodge" those cigarettes or fatty foods will take you out.

People don't protect themselves from what they do. They protect themselves from what they don't think other people should do.:cheers:

denverpilot likes this.
  26. jordane93

jordane93 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jordan
    You should say, "what kind of plane do you fly?"

denverpilot and ircphoenix like this.
  27. SkyDog58

SkyDog58 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Old dog w/o new tricks
    So are you with one of the race teams flying on Miami Air?

28. TRocket

TRocket Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Uncle Jesse
    Guilty.

29. overdrive148

overdrive148 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    overdrive148
    Speaking of ignorance...

A while back, a Cirrus stopped responding and overflew the SFRA and crashed into the Atlantic (referenced in this thread). I looked online (at a Yahoo! article specifically) and was blown away by the public's ignorance when it comes to aviation.

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

30. ircphoenix

ircphoenix Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    ircphoenix
    Well... I hope those are all dedicated trolls working on mastering their craft. 'cause good lord.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

iflyvfr and overdrive148 like this.
  31. Caramon13

Caramon13 Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Romeo
    No kidding..sheesh...

overdrive148 likes this.
  32. Floatplanes

Floatplanes Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Floatplanes
    I have to believe that 75% of those people are all trying to look dumb, the other 25% just genuinely don't know. The net thing seems half reasonable if you don't know much about aerodynamics and weight restrictions.

A few of my favorites:
    more hours and evaluated every year
    too bad they don't have horns
    climb into his plane and take the controls
    keep military pilots away from elderly and young people? wtf?

overdrive148 likes this.
  33. SkyDog58

SkyDog58 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Old dog w/o new tricks
    Cool.

34. drotto

Display Name:

Display name:
    drotto
    Another comment on the Washington Post article. I really want to punch this guy in the face. The ignorance concerning who flys, what we fly, what it takes to fly, and what GA is all about is astounding. Why do I read stuff like this and get myself ticked off?

"Niko Bellic
    9:27 AM EDT
    why do rich middle aged white guys think they have what it takes to fly single engine planes when so many of them keep crashing like this? Find another way to get rid of your mid-life crisis. Red Corvette perhaps?"

35. denverpilot

denverpilot Taxi to Parking

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    Awww c'mon. Niko sounds like a nice modern hipster carefully trained to blame everything on middle aged white guys. :)

Zeldman likes this.
  36. simtech

simtech Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Simtech
    Yeah I wonder what plane that d-bag flew..mhmm..

37. Omalley1537

Omalley1537 Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Sean
    Exactly. It's also worth reminding that many in America seem to have developed a jealous hatred for anyone with financial success, and a feeling that someone's business or personal wealth should be theirs for allocation, not for the person or business to enjoy.

Zeldman likes this.
  38. simtech

simtech Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Simtech
    Yeah but doesn't he realize a red corvette can go the wrong way down and interstate and hit head on with a fuel tanker, explode, impede traffic, and kill someone in a first crash...i wonder how many people heard of that crash that just happened. Though it wasn't a red corvette.

My coworker asked me of this plane crash and if it scares me and how dangerous blah blah blah. I showed him that car crash that exploded and I asked if he seen that and if he is scared to drive home. And guess what he never heard of that crash andnit just happened days ago but he heard of the plane crash.

39. FloridaPilot

FloridaPilot Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    FloridaStudentPilot
    I believe that we are ALL ignorant on one level or another. From the passage, the person who posted mentioned we need more "Control" over who flies. This Jason Edwards guy doesn't realize how regulated aviation already is.

40. FloridaPilot

FloridaPilot Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    FloridaStudentPilot
    Thank you, I needed that laugh. I forgot how funny airplane the movie really is. I got to watch it again one of these days!

TRocket likes this.