Victor Black - worth it?

2nd505th

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
2nd505th
This is the approximate cost - as best as I know. The VB is an actual quote. Wondering what others think.

Lycoming O-235-L2C
Standard overhaul: ~ $22,000
Factory overhaul: ~ $25,500
Factory new: ~ $40,670

Black V: $54,878
Black VI: $61,378
Black VII: $67,878

Sounds more like Victor gold , diamond or platinum!

Ha. Put me down as a no thanks. Even if it were the same cost I wouldn’t choose it over new.

Wondering what others think.
Look at it this way. With a Lycoming factory new engine you get a Total Time zero engine and a new logbook. And at $40k you will have change left over to save toward your next new factory engine when compared to the Black VI overhauled engine that keeps the existing engine total time and logbook regardless how they massage it.

Marketing sells apparently. Even with the totality of what they're selling what are you really gaining? Are they guaranteeing more power? Guaranteeing you make it to tbo? Will you even be the owner when it's close to tbo? How much difference in performance or reliability are you really going to gain over a field overhaul? I guess it wouldn't be black and shiny... but you don't see it when you're flying anyway.

Marketing sells apparently. Even with the totality of what they're selling what are you really gaining? Are they guaranteeing more power? Guaranteeing you make it to tbo? Will you even be the owner when it's close to tbo? How much difference in performance or reliability are you really going to gain over a field overhaul? I guess it wouldn't be black and shiny... but you don't see it when you're flying anyway.

Agree 100%.

In reading through their website, it appears to throw out a bunch of engine performance-related terms with minimal proof or substance behind the claims.

It reminded me of a recent bid review at work in which some of the largest bid packets actually had the least total responsive information once the marketing fluff was removed.

Also reminds me of the guy on In Living Color who sold the vocabulary self-help program from prison, where he used lots of big words at all the wrong times…

Am I looking at this correctly?

The Victor website makes no sense.

Using the prices the OP listed, the Black V is a 35% price increase over a $40,670 factory new Lycoming 0-235 L2C. I can't imagine what the Black V offers for that $14,208 premium.

The Black VII is even farther out there in crazy territory. The $27,208 premium over the factory new engine cost is a 67% upcharge.

But looking at the Victor website prices, it lists the new Lycoming at $42,000, and their engine at a cost less than the Lycoming. It makes no sense.

What aircraft are we discussing? A Cessna 152? A Citabria? Installing that premium engine in a rather pedestrian airframe isn't going to make the aircraft suddenly more desirable or increase its market value.

But it'll certainly make the guy selling the Black happy.

Back