Verify, always.

bnt83

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian
Got a brand new $1100 headset the other day. The invoice, the registered headsets in my account and the OEM box had a different serial number than the actual unit in the box.

It was ordered directly from the mothership through their website.

Which headset? What do you think happened? Do you think the company would not honor the warranty?

Which headset? What do you think happened? Do you think the company would not honor the warranty?
Lightspeed Delta Zulu. I have no idea and it has yet to be addressed. Maybe the "contact us" portal is broken so I need to call them next. I emailed them directly yesterday so I'll give that a few days before I call them.

The headset they show I have is not the one they sent me. My luck they would assume it was stolen when requesting warranty or service.

Always check this stuff. Even $15K avionics need this verified, or your iPads and iPhones and anything else you can imagine.

Last edited:
Why not call them instead of imagining what they might say? Why wait? Talk to a person and resolve the discrepancy.
Writing them has always worked before and no waiting on hold and asking to repeat things over and phone service at my desk sucks? Plus if I were ever resell this thing I can print out the email chain which explains why the paperwork doesn't match the unit?

Lightspeed has always been great to talk to for me. I'll bet they make things right to your satisfaction if you give them the chance. They take customer service seriously.

I have had issues with delays using the email method. I think it's just numbers of requests vs staff on hand.

I have had issues with delays using the email method. I think it's just numbers of requests vs staff on hand.
That's what I'm thinking too. Also, if mine is goofed up, how many others are that don't know?

That's what I'm thinking too. Also, if mine is goofed up, how many others are that don't know?
Mistakes happen. Its hard to tell with text but it sounds like you may be reading a lot more into it than is there. I would have chalked it up to someone accidentally putting headset A in box B, called the company, corrected the error, and not thought it significant enough to mention to anyone.

I picked a DZ up at Oshkosh....with my luck i probably got your box lol; better check....

I while back I bought a small UPS. I was impressed with the box including a printout of the QA production test of the unit... until I saw the serial number of the unit tested didn't match the unit in the box.

Not a mistake that QA should make.

I picked a DZ up at Oshkosh....with my luck i probably got your box lol; better check....
LOL! The serial number can be found on the headband under the pad. It also shows up when paired with the app (which you prob already know)

I while back I bought a small UPS. I was impressed with the box including a printout of the QA production test of the unit... until I saw the serial number of the unit tested didn't match the unit in the box.

Exactly. Always check this stuff.

Sending out a component for repairs/overhaul, take pictures of the data tags, then make sure the paperwork matches the parts that are returned.

Got a brand new $1100 headset the other day. The invoice, the registered headsets in my account and the OEM box had a different serial number than the actual unit in the box.

Lightspeed Delta Zulu. I have no idea and it has yet to be addressed. Maybe the "contact us" portal is broken so I need to call them next. I emailed them directly yesterday so I'll give that a few days before I call them.

The headset they show I have is not the one they sent me. My luck they would assume it was stolen when requesting warranty or service.

Always check this stuff. Even $15K avionics need this verified, or your iPads and iPhones and anything else you can imagine.
I sent you a PM.

I've gotten equipment with a "QA test sheet" that was obviously copied and included with every unit shipped. Seems to be a part of the standard Chinese documentation set.

One of the greatest stories to prove that you should "Verify, always" ...

There is simply no explanation for this that would be acceptable ... :dunno:
I can see being given the 162, but I can't see accepting the 162. I take it that is what you meant...

I can see being given the 162, but I can't see accepting the 162. I take it that is what you meant...
Yes. Those models are worlds apart in so many ways. The FBO guy made a mistake but the error of the pilot cannot be said to be reasonable by any measure ...

Any resolution yet?

A human replied and looking for a way to fix it. Hopefully it's just these two serial numbers goofed up and they don't have like 20 of them this way.

My guess is that their QA had a few unboxed looking them over and they got placed in the wrong box before being added to stock or something. The two serial numbers are 12 units apart

Last edited:
Resolved, and there is an email trail that I can add to the box if I ever sell it to third party explaining why the box serial number doesn't match the unit.

I guess I'm uber lazy. I would have never done any of this. I can't recall it ever being an issue in my life. Seems like it would be more efficient to only worry about this if it became an issue rather than worrying about it becoming an issue, but maybe I'm just lazy.

I guess I'm uber lazy. I would have never done any of this. I can't recall it ever being an issue in my life. Seems like it would be more efficient to only worry about this if it became an issue rather than worrying about it becoming an issue, but maybe I'm just lazy.
I get it, there are owners out there that get $25K of avionics installed and they don't even read the logbook entry. Then go nuts at the next prebuy because they can't locate said logbook entry.

I get it, there are owners out there that get $25K of avionics installed and they don't even read the logbook entry. Then go nuts at the next prebuy because they can't locate said logbook entry.
For a $15,000 gps, sure, I'm going to record my serial number. But, I have a good mechanic and he's really particular to put all serial numbers in his log entries, so its pretty easy for me.

When Sarasota Avionics swapped my -650 to a -650Xi, the log book entry included the part number and serial number of the one removed and the one that was installed.

Gotta watch it. I've never heard of it with headsets, but a common scam is to steal avioncs from two planes, put the unit from plane #1 into plane #2, then sell the #2 unit which isn't reported stolen since the #2 owner never knows about it.

Gotta watch it. I've never heard of it with headsets, but a common scam is to steal avioncs from two planes, put the unit from plane #1 into plane #2, then sell the #2 unit which isn't reported stolen since the #2 owner never knows about it.
I've been looking at tamper seals to put over the retaining screw holes just for that reason.

I think in reality half the stuff in the panel would be inop because so much of the newer avionics depends on proper programing to talk to each other.

I've been looking at tamper seals to put over the retaining screw holes just for that reason.
I wonder if simple rubber bungs would be sufficient. I doubt a thief would be mindful enough to avoid losing those tiny little things when doing the swap.

Back