Vans Files For Chapter 11 Bankruptcy

The risk is that those contracts get restructured, builders pay a bunch more money to stay in the line for a kit and then the company still goes under or is bought out and those new contracts are now worthless. I'm not building an RV but I wouldn't give the company any more money until my kit is complete and ready to ship. The scenario Van's is going through is one of the.major reasons I built a sonex. The A model plans included every detail needed to build every part. If the company went under I could still finish my build.
100% agree. Absolutely no way I'd start building a Vans kit right now. And I feel bad for the folks who are currently mid-build and have their flying futures hanging in the balance of this reorg.

The most vulnerable are those who had faith that Van's was a well run company and had enough faith to commit their money to the deposits. In a truly just situation, they would be at the top of the list to recoup money ahead of the other creditors, unfortunately they will probably be last. The investors knew, or should have known what they were getting themselves into. The vendors, when the orders starting stacking up, should have set a limit to how much credit they were willing to grant.
The secured creditors, possibly including vendors if they have a security interest in unpaid inventory, will have priority up to the limit of their security. Then unsecured creditors like employees and customers with deposits, then equity holders will be last. "Investors" with equity will get screwed. "Investors" who took security in exchange for debt will get more, but that's the trade for putting cash into a potentially failing business. The customers wouldn't have been better off of that investment hasn't happened.

Arguably, anyone who would build an airplane from a kit is nuts. It's a matter of degree, not kind. There are so many marginally insane decisions you have to make between your first inkling of building a kit plane and your first flight that the kit supplier's bankruptcy court record seems like a whisper on a scream.
There are more than 11 000 or so RV planes flying out there - not sure what is the actual completion rate but cant be that bad if there are so many of them flying …

If I were a builder I'd far prefer they restructure the contracts (break them and set new prices), than just file for liquidation and disappear entirely. Neither is a good outcome and both show the company sucks at managing their business, but a "we're gone forever" is a lot worse than reorg.
Vans needs suppliers. In aviation those suppliers are limited. I wouldn’t anticipate a supplier that got burnt to run back into the fire. Payment in advance or no goods.

Vans needs suppliers. In aviation those suppliers are limited. I wouldn’t anticipate a supplier that got burnt to run back into the fire. Payment in advance or no goods.
There's no limit to good suppliers that can form sheet metal.

Brakes, weldments, canopies, engines, props, landing gear, some (all?) fiberglass components are sourced...
There are a limited number of suppliers that can do engines and props but everything else on your list is easily sourced. Also, the "suppliers get screwed" thing is not necessarily true. It can be, but it's not a foregone conclusion. In a lot of chapter 11 bankruptcies the suppliers are made whole after a bit of a delay.

Agreed, at least COD with a limit to how much I'd build up front or PIA, pay in advance.

There are a limited number of suppliers that can do engines and props but everything else on your list is easily sourced. Also, the "suppliers get screwed" thing is not necessarily true. It can be, but it's not a foregone conclusion. In a lot of chapter 11 bankruptcies the suppliers are made whole after a bit of a delay.
Not really, especially in the volume Van's is working in, someone who can hit tolerances, quantities and delivery is probably not easy to find. When I was selling stuff, I dinged twice, learned my lesson and it didn't happen again.

I predict Van's will survive this and the price increase will have some impact on future kit sales, but marginally. IMO the vast majority of RV builders today don't build bare bones, day-VFR, scrounged component aircraft. New builders aren't going to bat an eye at what would manifest roughly as a $15K-$25K price increase if that 30% holds true. Don't forget that the kit price is roughly only a third of the completed aircraft price (kit/engine/avionics). In my own build, besides the kit, the only major component I bought from Van's was the prop as they have (or had) an OEM supplier deal with Hartzell just like they did with Lycoming.

Bring forward someone with the tooling to make the Wittman tapered rod landing gear in quantity and to close enough tolerances that it fits a weldment made by another supplier. Bring forward someone with the molds and fixtures to make the dozen different cowlings, 3 types of wingtips, the RV-10 cabin top and doors, plus all the other smaller fiberglass parts that go with the airplanes. Oh, and they have to fit and the supplier needs to be able to produce thousands of those items a year.

Alternately, find someone who's willing to invest in all of the tooling to make those items, given Vans Chapter 11 status...

Its anything but trivial.

Agreed, at least COD with a limit to how much I'd build up front or PIA, pay in advance.

Pre-pay or COD is typical for a company going through bankruptcy and for some period after they emerge. Yes, some suppliers will drop them but it sounds like Van's needs to do some soul searching on how they choose and deal with suppliers anyway.

Not really, especially in the volume Van's is working in, someone who can hit tolerances, quantities and delivery is probably not easy to find. When I was selling stuff, I dinged twice, learned my lesson and it didn't happen again.
I worked in Tier 1 automotive for 30 years. Thousands a year is small volume and we'd outsource those jobs because they weren't worth our time. We never had any trouble finding suppliers in the midwestern US, Asia, or Mexico that could handle small volumes like Van's deals in and our parts & assemblies were much more complex than anything that goes into an RV. Those smaller shops didn't have the in-house quality systems or personnel of the big players. We'd help them set up quality plans and our quality engineers would make regular visits and in some cases we'd do incoming inspections. I'm sure Van's learned their lesson on that. There's nothing in a Van's kit that is challenging from a tolerance point of view. They aren't being made by people beating metal on anvils - even small mom and pop operations have modern machines that can hit +/- a few thousandths all day long and sub-thousandths for critical parts. Van's isn't building turbine engines. Brakes, weldments, gear legs, etc just aren't that challenging these days.

Bring forward someone with the tooling to make the Wittman tapered rod landing gear in quantity and to close enough tolerances that it fits a weldment made by another supplier. Bring forward someone with the molds and fixtures to make the dozen different cowlings, 3 types of wingtips, the RV-10 cabin top and doors, plus all the other smaller fiberglass parts that go with the airplanes. Oh, and they have to fit and the supplier needs to be able to produce thousands of those items a year.

Alternately, find someone who's willing to invest in all of the tooling to make those items, given Vans Chapter 11 status...

Its anything but trivial.
My experience is that tooling is owned by the customer, not the supplier. Every custom molded or formed part I've ever worked with required us to pay for the tooling up front, and we always have a bailment agreement in place so that we can recover the tool if the supplier becomes untenable for any reason. You might have a challenge finding a supplier with the right machine to run the tool, but it's not impossible.

Machined parts are another story. Find a shop with the right mill, lathe, and press capability, and you simply send over the CAD files. Yes, you have to do you FAI/PPAP, but that's just part of critical component manufacturing.

The suppliers that make the more specialized components for RV's need Vans to survive as well. Lange put out an announcement to the effect that as long as Vans is producing kits his company will supply gear legs. I suspect every aviation depending supplier will feel the same way since Vans is probably 75% of their business. I also fully expect the more generic suppliers will still work with them but under more strict payment terms. If they miss out on money from chapter 11 they still wouldn't pass up the opportunity to continue making money off the tooling and design that have already invested in their product.

If you're going to use JimBob's Laser Cutting and Beef Jerky you need to keep an eye on them.
Any business that employs anyone knows employees have a tendency to go off script despite explicit instructions 10 minute prior.

It sounds like Vans gave a vendor the gcode with everything nested. Complete with inside/outside offsets, lead ins/lead outs, cut sequence and part spacing to minimize the heat affected zone on individual parts. Aluminum being such a good thermal conductor and alloys being sensitive to temper, that's critical.

I'll speculate a bit as we know the vendor took the files and changed the already created lead ins/outs. But why would someone do that? They probably saw part spacing and thought they could get more parts per sheet if they tightened up part spacing. They probably saw the cut sequence and thought they could minimize rapid movements between starts. Vans probably went conservative, and vendor saw waste. More wasted material means putting more sheets on the table. Depending on sheet size, good chance unloading and loading sheets took the most time in the cut cycle with the speeds they'll see on thin gauge aluminum.

Bottom line, don't care if it's JimBob or most well known laser cutter out there. It's on Vans to QC EVERY part...or at least a handful per batch. New vendor, old vendor, or in house part. Don't expect what you don't inspect. But ESPECIALLY new vendor using a new process.

Now, I also think builders hold some responsibility as well. Not for the health of Vans business, but their own build. They should be checking their kits as they arrive. I'm sympathetic. But if I paid for final size holes, and got the pictured...continued on, and now have to drill em all out...that's at least partly on me. As bell206 said previously, hole quality/fitment is absolutely critical.

Screenshot_20231031-232115.png

Once a company goes into Chapter 11, there are usually covenants that suppliers get paid for every thing done after the filing.

The suppliers that make the more specialized components for RV's need Vans to survive as well. Lange put out an announcement to the effect that as long as Vans is producing kits his company will supply gear legs. I suspect every aviation depending supplier will feel the same way since Vans is probably 75% of their business. I also fully expect the more generic suppliers will still work with them but under more strict payment terms. If they miss out on money from chapter 11 they still wouldn't pass up the opportunity to continue making money off the tooling and design that have already invested in their product.
New orders will suffer from Vans previous announcements and substantially decline from the Chapter 11 announcement.

If Vans is 75% of an aviation suppliers business, that supplier is in risk of closure with the current Vans situation. Tough to keep the lights on when a supplier loses a substantial % of their business and the available market is very limited.

Last edited:
New orders will suffer from Vans previous announcements and substantially decline from the Chapter 11 announcement.

If Vans is 75% of an aviation suppliers business, that supplier is in risk of closure with the current Vans situation. Tough to keep the lights on when a supplier loses a substantial % of their business and the available market is very limited.
Their new pricing isn't out of line with other 2 seat experimental aircraft on the market and is actually less than most while providing a better all around airplane. Over on the Vans forum the new pricing seems to be the least of their concerns, most are annoyed at the long wait for kits and parts. If all goes to plan, by the time Vans catches up with the backlog of existing orders the Chapter 11 should be long gone history. If anything was to substantially hurt their business moving forward aside from consumer confidence it will be their new down payment and kit ordering terms. 23k down on a 62k kit that you want see for 1-2 years is a tough pill to swallow. Their new policy on no component deletion from kit orders has rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. There are a lot of aftermarket parts builders would rather use than the OE sourced ones. 2-3 years from now is when the staying power will be determined. There are so many wealthy RV fanboys I don't expect the company to disappear even if current management crumbles.

Now, I also think builders hold some responsibility as well. Not for the health of Vans business, but their own build. They should be checking their kits as they arrive. I'm sympathetic. But if I paid for final size holes, and got the pictured...continued on, and now have to drill em all out...that's at least partly on me. As bell206 said previously, hole quality/fitment is absolutely critical.
What about builders who (a) questioned the quality of some of these parts and were initially told, "build on," or (b) bought quickbuild kits with these parts already integrated? True, "the manufacturer" (i.e. builder) is ultimately responsible for the condition of his/her airplane but I think the hole was pretty well dug before they got assembled anything.

Their new policy on no component deletion from kit orders has rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. There are a lot of aftermarket parts builders would rather use than the OE sourced ones.
I'm behind them all the way on this one. They ain't Burger King and Vans is not stopping anyone from using the aftermarket parts.

Nauga,
and blamestorming

Last edited:
I'm behind them all the way on this one. They ain't Burger King.
In a way they actually are. It's not like they have kits sitting on the shelf pre-packaged and ready to go as soon as an order is placed. Each kit is built to order and hand packaged before going out the door. On the other hand, the credit on some of the substitutions is so small it's not worth crying over. Most of the big dollar deletions are going to be FWF so instead of ordering a FWF kit, just buy the individual components you need.

In a way they actually are. It's not like they have kits sitting on the shelf pre-packaged and ready to go as soon as an order is placed. Each kit is built to order and hand packaged before going out the door.
That was then, this is now:
"Historically, Van’s allowed customers to make numerous additions, deletions, modifications, and customizations to each kit order (whether a standard or quick build kit). This led to a substantial variance in the number of kits that could be picked, crated, and shipped per day, which ultimately impacted our purchasing, planning, costs, and revenue. Thus, we can no longer continue these practices." (source: Van's)

Most of the big dollar deletions are going to be FWF so instead of ordering a FWF kit, just buy the individual components you need.
Exactly.

Nauga,
and S.E. Hinton

it will be their new down payment and kit ordering terms. 23k down on a 62k kit that you want see for 1-2 years is a tough pill to swallow. Their new policy on no component
23k down with a multi year wait on a company that just filed for Chapter 11... that's a tough sell

yeah, I was daydreaming about getting serious about retiring in the next couple years...and doing an RV-15...but even before this mess, the lead time was a tough sell, especially with such a big outlay of money just to get the clock started... Now add the price increase on what was already an expensive venture.... and even worse a lack of confidence, even if it's slight....ummm, probably not

23k down with a multi year wait on a company that just filed for Chapter 11... that's a tough sell
That plan is called an interest free loan with no guarantee your principal is secure. At todays interest rates one would be effectively sending Vans >$25,000

In a way they actually are. It's not like they have kits sitting on the shelf pre-packaged and ready to go as soon as an order is placed. Each kit is built to order and hand packaged before going out the door. On the other hand, the credit on some of the substitutions is so small it's not worth crying over. Most of the big dollar deletions are going to be FWF so instead of ordering a FWF kit, just buy the individual components you need.
that was part of the problem. vans was operating a medium to large operation and using small business processes. my family company recently went through this, luckily we saw it before the bottom line was hit as hard. at some point in your operation, manual processes must go a way and automated processes need to take over. erp systems are the way you do it. all processes are integrated in a computer system. that means that pick list, production lists, inventory all are standardized. we were amazed at how much small changes to single orders really cost in terms of man hours and production costs.

As to the 1 to 2 year wait, realistically, if the order book is that big, its time to raise prices to slow down orders. the bottom line is thats what got them in trouble. the large cost increases in the last couple of years meant that those orders taken a year or more ago were sold at a loss now. that will do you in a short time.

that was part of the problem. vans was operating a medium to large operation and using small business processes. my family company recently went through this, luckily we saw it before the bottom line was hit as hard. at some point in your operation, manual processes must go a way and automated processes need to take over. erp systems are the way you do it. all processes are integrated in a computer system. that means that pick list, production lists, inventory all are standardized. we were amazed at how much small changes to single orders really cost in terms of man hours and production costs.
Absolutely. My business went through the exact same thing as we grew, and ERP was the solution. Then it takes sustained management focus and executive skill to draw insight from ERP data and turn that into action and effect. That is why many small business entrepreneurs cannot make the leap to CEO of a medium to large business. Smart founders recognize when it is time to bring in a pro. Thinking maybe that is where Van lost the script.

A really good example of a company that has made the leap well is Aircraft Spruce. They grew from a family-run store to the 500 pound gorilla of aircraft supply precisely because they invested in automation across their enterprise.

Absolutely. My business went through the exact same thing as we grew, and ERP was the solution. Then it takes sustained management focus and executive skill to draw insight from ERP data and turn that into action and effect. That is why many small business entrepreneurs cannot make the leap to CEO of a medium to large business. Smart founders recognize when it is time to bring in a pro. Thinking maybe that is where Van lost the script.

A really good example of a company that has made the leap well is Aircraft Spruce. They grew from a family-run store to the 500 pound gorilla of aircraft supply precisely because they invested in automation across their enterprise.
i wouldn't say so much that he lost the script. giving his conservative views on business, i would say it was more balking at the cost. im sure you know well the cost of starting up running an erp system. expensive, but in the long run, cost effective.

i wouldn't say so much that he lost the script. giving his conservative views on business, i would say it was more balking at the cost. im sure you know well the cost of starting up running an erp system. expensive, but in the long run, cost effective.
6 figures, which sounds expensive until you realize it saves the cost of several 6 figure accountants.

Seems pretty likely they expanded with leverage when rates were low, and used deposits for operating expenses. Rates went up, costs went up, and the curtain came down. Add the laser cut fiasco and (total speculation) new deposits going down it paints an ugly picture.

So I'm actually wondering if now is the time to hop off of the fence and try my hand at an RV-14 build. I've been hemming and hawing about it for a long time.

My thinking is -- I'm "new money" so I get to cut line in front of the rubes who are renegotiating their BK'ed contracts. Parts QA scrutiny is likely at a high point right now. I can plant the flag on my build as a "post-snafu" build which will avoid the cloud of the older planes. It's going to be like the ruddervator fiasco for RV sellers for the next decade or two. "Did you have them thar laser holes in your plane?" -- I can skip that entire category of BS.

Of course, building a plane seems to be its own category of BS, so I'm still hesitant to commit to 2 or 3000 hours of frustration and my own ineptitude. But maybe it'd be fun? :) We have a new EAA chapter at my airport, so seems there is a lot of support or commiserating available.

So I'm actually wondering if now is the time to hop off of the fence and try my hand at an RV-14 build. I've been hemming and hawing about it for a long time.

My thinking is -- I'm "new money" so I get to cut line in front of the rubes who are renegotiating their BK'ed contracts. Parts QA scrutiny is likely at a high point right now. I can plant the flag on my build as a "post-snafu" build which will avoid the cloud of the older planes. It's going to be like the ruddervator fiasco for RV sellers for the next decade or two. "Did you have them thar laser holes in your plane?" -- I can skip that entire category of BS.

Of course, building a plane seems to be its own category of BS, so I'm still hesitant to commit to 2 or 3000 hours of frustration and my own ineptitude. But maybe it'd be fun? :) We have a new EAA chapter at my airport, so seems there is a lot of support or commiserating available.
I'm thinking there will be a lot of partially completed kits for sale at a discount as people try to salvage some of their investment. If your risk tolerance is higher, you should be able to get a good buy.

How do you know you're getting the "new" parts? vs the old ones? o_O
They aren’t shipping the old parts any longer, so that shouldn’t be a consideration. My question would be around the security of any new deposits you place. I don’t understand how they are sequestering those funds. Previously, deposits were not sequestered, so “old” deposits are mixed up in the bankruptcy and may or may not be recoverable.

I wouldn't jump in, not until I was really sure I wouldn't lose my money. When I was considering a Van's a few years ago, the delivery was in the 6 month range I believe, I had decided that I would buy and accept delivery of the whole kit plus engine. I was worried about exactly what happened. Not so much I knew it was going to happen, I just didn't want to chance it. I ended up not doing it, a friend told me that when you are building you aren't flying.

Back