Uses for plastic certificate.

TK211X

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Him
I'm eagerly awaiting my initial PPL plastic certificate to come in the mail. :rolleyes:
While doing so, I came across a joke about how some guy was speeding and got pulled over. Cop joked and asked him for his pilots license. You know the rest.

That got me thinking. What are some instances when you had to use your pilots license? (For anything) It seems like it doesn't do much good after the initial wow factor wears off and you put it in your wallet. Unless maybe you get ramp checked or renting from a new place for the first time?

Ok, so far we have.....

Frost off the car windshield/Frost off airplane windshield when hell freezes over in Texas

Signal mirror for help.....

Discounts at Harris Ranch for dinner

Taking frost off things

Flirt with women

Bragging rights

Protecting other cert's in wallet

Discounts wth hookers

Second form of I.D.

When you have an itch

To cover a sucking chest wound...

Show it to TSA and expect privileges

Show it to cops at traffic stops and, you know, hope....

Government discounts

Gap your spark plugs with it

Last edited:
I always use it when a photo I.D. is required.

I think I gave it to the flight school to make a copy of it when I started working on IR. And insurance for the plane I think.

Other than that, not one damn thing.

Um...discounts when I fly to Harris Ranch for dinner?

Taking frost off things

Was going into a club and standing under a huge black light. For some reason the pilot cert. was above my drivers license in my money clip. When I went to show my ID to the bouncer I noticed a really cool marking on the pilot license. Never noticed that before...anyway, that is the only time it has been out of my wallet. Or when a flight school needs a copy of it. Military ID gets me out of tickets more than a pilot's license ever would.

when a hot bartender chick ID's you, you can accidentally hand her your PPL. "whoops, I'm so sorry about that......"

when a hot bartender chick ID's you, you can accidentally hand her your PPL. "whoops, I'm so sorry about that......"

Most will have no idea what it is unless you point it out, which just gets kinda sad

I don't have a picture Ppl license??

It protects my medical certificate. By putting them together in the wallet, its easier to get the medical certificate out without ripping it when I have to prove to the FBO that I really did go get one.

Blacklight Test

Yeesh, I think we are all actually in the Illuminati or something.
Orville and Wilbur go away and the symbols appear.

attachment.php

Attachments

• blppl.jpg
    blppl.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 541
Before I had my CHP, I used the pilot certificate as my second form of ID to buy guns. Virginia requires a driver's license and a second ID with the same address.

Once used it to prove my age to get into a bar in NYC. I was visiting from the UK, and didn't have my driver's license on me (was in the habit of not carrying it, since I never drove and never needed to prove my age). When I realized it at the door, I convinced them that since the pilot's license had name and DOB, and university ID had name and picture, they should let me in.

Blacklight Test

Thanks for taking a picture! I couldn't remember how it looked, I was already 8 whiskeys+ in when we went to the club and I tried googling but couldn't find a picture.

I know I'm waiting for a certificate in the mail. Maybe it will be plastic but I have never had my photo taken. How do you go about getting your picture on it?

Your cert WILL be plastic when it comes, and it will say "English proficient" down at the bottom. The only pictures on it are of Orville & Wilbur Wright, facing each other on the back.

I used mine when I moved into the house last month. Needed two forms of ID, one govt issued with a photo, to get water turned on. ??? All other utilities were handled with a 90-second phone call, but the water people are incredibly choosy. Also had to provide birthday and Soc Sec number.

They were completely unable, and uninterested in, to answer my question about why the water company needed enough information about me to obtain a credit card in my name, or why they are the only utility that cared about anything other than the service and billing addresses and a name to put on the bill each month. So they got a copy of my Drivers License (with the address where I was living before, not at the house I was about to move into), and the old PPL.

No pictures because it makes too much sense for the FAA to do it. Right after 9/11 it was mandated... in 2004 it was law... in 2010 it was announced by the FAA... but STILL not done today. No, all they're good for is frost and jimmying doors.

I know I'm waiting for a certificate in the mail. Maybe it will be plastic but I have never had my photo taken. How do you go about getting your picture on it?
no worries....none of them have photo IDs. :no:

"Oh, you just got this last year?" :mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

Back in the day of paper driver's licenses and paper pilot certificates, I used to use mine in bars all the time. I remember when we were in Colorado with my Maryland coworkers. The bouncer is checking the IDs...Maryland...Maryland...Maryland...United States of America.

How do you keep a turkey in suspense?.......................................

Wait the required 50 years for the FAA to decide to make it happen.

Anyone remember when they stopped putting your picture your PPL? I still have my original paper PPL with my picture on it. In those days you had to get a "Passport" type photo to put on it. When I got out of the Air Force that had all changed.
I keep my drivers license, my ppl and my VA card together in my wallet. I refer to them as my "License to drive, licence to fly and licence to kill." The sweet young thing at the credit union asked "Which is which?" Oddly, I see her point.

I've seen someone flash it at the TSA when they were hassling him over something in his bag. I think he was actually the pilot for my flight.

mirror..........blow........plastic ppl card. perfect together. well, that plus the previously mentioned hookers.

Back