Used GNX 375 install

oldtrucksrule

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
oldtrucksrule
I've found a certified GNX375 I'd like to purchase and have installed in my Cessna 170. My questions:

1) Can I have it installed by someone other than an authorized Garmin installer? can my mechanic do it?
2) it's new in box, he decided to go another direction, how do I verify it's legit?

Thanks..

Garmin’s requirement to have a dealer install it is not a legal requirement, so if you have a unit, anyone can install it.

That is what I assumed. Why do you think they say "authorized dealer install only" with a new purchase of some avionics but, not others?

They sell some items “over the counter”, so a dealer can sell without installing.

Call Garmin with your serial number to confirm it is legit and get information on activating the warranty.

I called Garmin today, they basically said it MUST be installed by an authorized installer.

Of course, the did. Money grubbing bastards. Don't get me started about my audio panel.

Or my G5 battery that failed after 3 months. Garmin wouldn’t talk to me at all since I wasn’t the dealer. I was pretty ****ed with the lack of warranty support. The dealer was airplanes stacked and too busy to deal with a battery in Jan 2020 with the ADSB mandate looming at that time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I called Garmin today, they basically said it MUST be installed by an authorized installer.
I'm facing a similar, but slightly different situation. I want to buy a GNX375 and GI275 (AI) and install the unit myself. Not because I want to save a bunch of time and money, but rather because I want to control the work done on my airplane just as I have done with every other aspect of the maintenance. So I am looking for an avionics shop that will cooperate with me. They can make their money on the sale of the equipment and performing the final testing and sign-off. I don't mind paying a fair price. Any suggestions on a shop that would cooperate on an owner-installed project?

I'm facing a similar, but slightly different situation. I want to buy a GNX375 and GI275 (AI) and install the unit myself. Not because I want to save a bunch of time and money, but rather because I want to control the work done on my airplane just as I have done with every other aspect of the maintenance. So I am looking for an avionics shop that will cooperate with me. They can make their money on the sale of the equipment and performing the final testing and sign-off. I don't mind paying a fair price. Any suggestions on a shop that would cooperate on an owner-installed project?

the problem is there is no money in the sale of the units. margin is razor thin. the shops rely on installs to make bank.

Regardless of where you get your 375, make sure you get an installation manual with it. It's not included with the unit and it's absolutely essential. Garmin was holding onto them pretty tightly when I got mine. It's likely that a mechanic who is not an authorized installer will have (or have had) the same issue.

Nauga,
squawking

Last edited:
The dealer was airplanes stacked and too busy to deal with a battery

You're upset with Garmin because you bought from a dealer with poor customer service? That's an odd perspective.

You're upset with Garmin because you bought from a dealer with poor customer service? That's an odd perspective.
How did poor customer service cause a battery to fail in 3 months?

Nauga,
who can break things with his smile.

How did poor customer service cause a battery to fail in 3 months?

The complaint he made here was not about the battery, it was with the warranty support, which is provided through the dealer he chose.

There is so much misinformation out there about pilots and Avionic Installs. A pilot can install any approved Avionic Unit and have it signed of by your Engineer who has that rating.
Garmin has nothing to say about any Garmin product...that only approved shop can do install. Garmin dealers only serve one purpose...sell Garmin products.

The only thing they can control is who can get the install manual, and without it it cannot be legally installed.

When unit is not installed by Garmin Dealer...they can try to wiggle out on warranty. If you remove your unit yourself and walk it into Avionic Shop...they dont ask for your Log Book Entry to see who installed it. That would be silly...of course they dont...they repair and Return To Service.

Oops...almost forgot...you can find all Garmin install info on the Internet. Engineer only needs manual number so Engineer can sign out install...I.A.W. manual number...done.

Could be wrong, but I think Garmin "enforces" the dealer installation by giving only dealers the authorization to use the STC. Don't know if that applies to the GNX 375. But how would someone get the authorization? Is it required?

Some STC require written permission or money to use. Garmin STC are considered open...no prior consent required.

Could be wrong, but I think Garmin "enforces" the dealer installation by giving only dealers the authorization to use the STC. Don't know if that applies to the GNX 375. But how would someone get the authorization? Is it required?

Historically Garmin has had an open STC permission letter in the install manual. The G5 is an exception, where you have to have the registration card and get the permission letter specific to your N#.

FYI, it took me all of 5 minutes to locate all info necessary to install a GNX375 .

Install manual/maintenance manual, AFMS, ICA , STC and AML. It is all online.
The Approved Model List shows all aircraft approved under STC SA02636SE.

Hmmm....I still can't find the install manual online. Note that the maintenance manual is not the install manual, they are two separate documents. There's a lot related to installation in the maintenance manual (like pinouts) but I needed the intallation manual for things like protocol definitions and communicating with other boxes, and could only get the installation manual from Garmin. They were very accommodating, but mine is in an experimental airplane and I was dealing with experimental support.

Nauga,
the collector

Nauga, I found a link to a guy who had a copy...he was nice and sent me a copy of the install manual. All other from G website.

Nauga, I found a link to a guy who had a copy...he was nice and sent me a copy of the install manual. All other from G website.
Hi Doug,

Could you PM me a link to the GNX 375 install manual?

Hi Doug,
Can you also send me the link to the install manual. Thanks much.

Its pretty simple,

FAA: anyone qualified person can install approved alteration using appropriate equipment and practices. (see STC certificate for limitations)

Garmin: Only authorized dealers are authorized to use Garmin owned STCs to modify aircraft.

The latter is a licensing agreement more than anything.

If an owner brings me a radio and an STC install manual has item #2 of the STC limitations been met?

upload_2021-6-4_10-40-15.png

If an owner brings me a radio and an STC install manual has item #2 of the STC limitations been met?
There is also an FAR and a USC law to go along with item 2. Its up to the STC holder whether they issue an authorization letter to use the STC. However, there's nothing that prevents anyone from installing the used item. You just can't use the STC data as your reference without that letter.

There is also an FAR and a USC law to go along with item 2. Its up to the STC holder whether they issue an authorization letter to use the STC. However, there's nothing that prevents anyone from installing the used item. You just can't use the STC data as your reference without that letter.

Exactly. For some things, the vendor's STC is really the only practical way to install it. Autopilots are at the top of that list.

Back