Use of compassion callsign

Mopauly

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Paul Steklenski
99.5% of the flying I do is animal rescue. I founded a non profit for this and it's what I enjoy. However I rarely use the compassion callsign in my travels; rather I plan my VFR flights around restrictions, airspace, and approach/departure ends of airports.

For example, when leaving my home airport of KDYL, I never try to get clearance through the PHL class B direct going south, but always plan to vector out to MXE then south to avoid the arrivals/departures. I've learned after being rerouted enough this is the most logical choice to make.

Most all of my flights have me traverse the Philly Brave outbound and inbound, and on occasion the NYC Bravo as well. Philly typically directs me straight through to the NJ airports I'm going to, but I figure that's mainly because I'm cutting through the southeast corner of their airspace and not in the way of commercial traffic.

On my last 2 flights NYC has accepted the flight advisory handoff inbound as I made my way to KMMU or KCDW, however still directs me under the Bravo at 2500 feet. I understand both PHL and NYC airspace can be extremely busy, so I just normally don't use the callsign.

That said, as a controller, does the compassion callsign make a difference in handling? Should I use it more for my flights? Obviously only when loaded with shelter animals en-route to their rescue.

As a pilot, we are taught to tell ATC when we can't comply, however with all of my real world experience and hearing what they have to deal with, I try to accommodate ATC as much as I can.

Last edited:
As a pilot who has used the CMF, I can tell you that it is treated differently. It is an alert to ATC that we may require special handling and many pilots have reported it making a difference especially when heading into busy airspace.

I personally haven't used it when transporting animals. I haven't been into areas where it's busy enough to be a factor. But if I was heading, say, to a Class B primary, I've no doubt it would help.

I've used the one for Animal Rescue Flights - goes by "Animal flight 3AB". It ended up being a headache because the controller at the departing airport didn't believe it was a real call sign and had to look it up after a while of disagreement. I was right but no one in that tower had heard it before...

EDIT: Though all of the enroute controllers were very nice and asked what we were carrying... happened to be an owl.

I used "animal flight" once too. It was hard to remember to keep it straight given that I reflexively use my tail # to reply to calls.

It did generate a few questions from ATC about "what kind of animals", etc....

I'm not familiar with "animal flight", just the general compassion callsign. That said, when I eventually get an aircraft, I do plan to apply for a custom call sign.

I'm not familiar with "animal flight", just the general compassion callsign. That said, when I eventually get an aircraft, I do plan to apply for a custom call sign.
Someone can correct me on this, but IIRC to get a custom call sign you have to fly a certain # of hours in a year as well as some other requirements. I don't recall a single pilot being able to do so.

I used "animal flight" once too. It was hard to remember to keep it straight given that I reflexively use my tail # to reply to calls.

Oh no! Nonstandard phraseology! Wasted bandwidth! :p

upload_2016-3-4_14-18-34.png

Someone can correct me on this, but IIRC to get a custom call sign you have to fly a certain # of hours in a year as well as some other requirements. I don't recall a single pilot being able to do so.

I need to find the requirements for that - was hoping to get something custom for the org. Right now I'd say I fly about 100-120 hours per year doing this.

Never heard the compassion callsign before, wonder how it is handled compared to a angel flight.

Using the compassion flight call sign won't result in a landing fee at a few places since they don't have your full N number recorded. :) Whenever I've flown into BKL under CMF I never got a fee. When I didn't use it the one time, I did.

Huh, even as a full on medevac we get charged

Using the compassion flight call sign won't result in a landing fee at a few places since they don't have your full N number recorded. :) Whenever I've flown into BKL under CMF I never got a fee. When I didn't use it the one time, I did.

Thanks for the tip... every flight to anywhere that charges just became a "compassion" flight for my wallet. LOL...

This is why we can't have nice things. :)

They got your full tail number? I think BKL just listens to the radio. My full tail number was never used, so they have no idea who to send the bill to.

What part of your N number did you leave out?

What part of your N number did you leave out?

First two digits. I was in there under CMF12R (filed), and radio calls were Compassion Flight 12R when IFR and VFR. I was in there 3 or 4 times for Lifeline Pilots. So anyone listening on the radio was clueless as to the full tail number.

Normally just the first number, they still get my full N number from my IFR flight plan, or more often from when they fuel us up, we have international 14ish inch numbers on the side of the plane, which are hard to hide.

Only one or two airports that normally charge won't charge us due to being medevac

First two digits. I was in there under CMF12R (filed), and radio calls were Compassion Flight 12R when IFR and VFR. I was in there 3 or 4 times for Lifeline Pilots. So anyone listening on the radio was clueless as to the full tail number.
Interesting. Back when I flew air ambulance, we would file as LN123AB but the radio calls were "lifeguard 123AB" (this was before they switched to "medevac").

There's no official priority or expeditious handling that is offered to the Compassion call sign. I'm sure they'll do they're best to get you where you need to be though.

I know some Angel Flight organizations (possibly all?) have recently been told to stop using "Angel Flight" call sign and switch to "Compassion Flight". I find that disturbing, since in theory Animal flights may use the same. I love animals, but I have experienced situations with an Angel patient not feeling well, where having the Angel Flight call sign would have helped. And yes, Angel Flight call sign is not instant formula for priority handling, but it does help a bit in many cases (traffic permitting etc.).

That does not surprise me... I assume a full on medevac is generally a business? The pilot and company are getting paid for the flight. Priority handling yes, but I wouldn't expect any slack on the fees.

Angel flights or pilots n paws, generally the pilots are donating their time and likely paying some or all of the fuel/airplane expense from their own pocket, some may come from donations. In that case I can see why FBO's might cut them some slack.

I've used the one for Animal Rescue Flights - goes by "Animal flight 3AB". It ended up being a headache because the controller at the departing airport didn't believe it was a real call sign and had to look it up after a while of disagreement. I was right but no one in that tower had heard it before...

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Order/Basic7340.2B.pdf

Registered to:
ANIMAL RESCUE FLIGHTS (NORWALK, CT)

So should only be used for flights sponsored by that organization, right?

I need to find the requirements for that - was hoping to get something custom for the org. Right now I'd say I fly about 100-120 hours per year doing this.

Assuming that the org is a registered entity, the problem will be that you don't have scheduled operations. So you'll have to convince someone to sign off on the discretion provided by the final bullet below.

https://www.nbaa.org/ops/airspace/issues/call-signs/

In order to be eligible to apply for a call sign, a company must fall into one of the following categories:
  • Scheduled aircraft operators that operate seven or more non-seasonal international air operations each week, or at least 15 non-seasonal, domestic round-trip air operations each week
  • Chartered aircraft operators that may require use of the aeronautical fixed telecommunications network
  • Aircraft operators that require an ICAO three-letter designator for security purposes
  • Flight service companies and organizations that meet none of these requirements, but are deemed worthy of an ICAO three-letter designator

You guys a non-profit medevac? We use to give fuel discounts to the Angel Flight, Pilots N' Paws and other non-profit guys. AirEvac, PHI and the other for profit guys paid the fees like everyone else.

We pay the same fees as everyone else while doing air ambulance. We get fuel discounts at some places based on the card we use but that's about it.

The "MEDEVAC" gets us priority with ATC. In reality, priority doesn't mean a whole heck of a lot either. Its not like they're clearing a path for us.

You guys a non-profit medevac? We use to give fuel discounts to the Angel Flight, Pilots N' Paws and other non-profit guys. AirEvac, PHI and the other for profit guys paid the fees like everyone else.

Oh gods no, just sayin ;)

We pay the same fees as everyone else while doing air ambulance. We get fuel discounts at some places based on the card we use but that's about it.

The "MEDEVAC" gets us priority with ATC. In reality, priority doesn't mean a whole heck of a lot either. Its not like they're clearing a path for us.

Yup, you'll need "Air Force One" for that. :)

Yup, you'll need "Air Force One" for that. :)

Even that's confusing. Some say since we're above presidential aircraft on the priority list, we have priority but the list isn't in order of precedence.

I'd say in the extremely rare occurrence where we're up against AF, RR, VV, or VM1, we'd probably get priority. If not, it wouldn't look good for the POTUS to hold up a MEDEVAC flight.

Last edited:
Assuming that the org is a registered entity, the problem will be that you don't have scheduled operations. So you'll have to convince someone to sign off on the discretion provided by the final bullet below.

https://www.nbaa.org/ops/airspace/issues/call-signs/

In order to be eligible to apply for a call sign, a company must fall into one of the following categories:
  • Scheduled aircraft operators that operate seven or more non-seasonal international air operations each week, or at least 15 non-seasonal, domestic round-trip air operations each week
  • Chartered aircraft operators that may require use of the aeronautical fixed telecommunications network
  • Aircraft operators that require an ICAO three-letter designator for security purposes
  • Flight service companies and organizations that meet none of these requirements, but are deemed worthy of an ICAO three-letter designator

Cool, I'll check that out. All of these flights are rescue flights, so a custom call-sign makes sense (at least to me)

Even that's confusing. Some say since we're above presidential aircraft on the priority list, we have priority but the list isn't in order of precedence.

I'd say in the extremely rare occurrence where we're up against A, R, VV, or VM1, we'd probably get priority. If not, it wouldn't look good for the POTUS to hold up a MEDEVAC flight.

I had to search for your abbreviations; for those interested, see TBL 2-3-8 and TBL 2-3-9 here.
(or search for "VM1")

View attachment 44354 Well since it's an ATC folder I decided to use their abbreviations. What pilots refer to as "AF1" on a flight progress strip, it actually looks like this...minus the C-9.:)

I guess it's someone's sense of humor, to name POTUS "A1", vs. the AF1 on the 7110.65V. I guess it's kind of cool (thinking of the office, not the office holder. :) )

I know some Angel Flight organizations (possibly all?) have recently been told to stop using "Angel Flight" call sign and switch to "Compassion Flight". I find that disturbing, since in theory Animal flights may use the same. I love animals, but I have experienced situations with an Angel patient not feeling well, where having the Angel Flight call sign would have helped. And yes, Angel Flight call sign is not instant formula for priority handling, but it does help a bit in many cases (traffic permitting etc.).

I rode along on an Angel Flight mission last week. The pilot only used the Angel Flight call sign on the leg were we were transporting the blood. Just his normal call sign for the other legs. The only special handling I recall us getting was not being charged a ramp fee by Clay Lacey at KBFI when we delivered the blood. That, and being able to use their cart to deliver the blood to a set aside area in the hangar.

I rode along on an Angel Flight mission last week. The pilot only used the Angel Flight call sign on the leg were we were transporting the blood. Just his normal call sign for the other legs. The only special handling I recall us getting was not being charged a ramp fee by Clay Lacey at KBFI when we delivered the blood. That, and being able to use their cart to deliver the blood to a set aside area in the hangar.

The ramp and landing fees waiving is unrelated to the call sign. You can call yourself N12345 and still get them waived, or not (I've always had mine waived). In some (typically class B) airports, you need to carry special letters (which are supposed to be faxed in advance to the FBO, but sometimes get lost) to get the waivers. Again, nothing to do with your call sign.
The Angel Flight (or Compassion Flight) call sign is normally only supposed to be used on the "mission leg".
I often hear flights calling themselves "Angel Flight" on the air, but definitely some Angel Flight organizations have been clearly told to cease doing it (and the ACA, which is the loose umbrella group for all the domestic chapters specifically says so on its website).
So I am not really sure what's up with that call sign, does anyone know?

I only use Compassion when I'm carrying Pilots for Patients folks. All my dog rescues are just my regular old tail number.

Never heard the compassion callsign before, wonder how it is handled compared to a angel flight.
When I was flying AF missions we always used the Compassion call sign, it was in our SOP.

The ramp and landing fees waiving is unrelated to the call sign. You can call yourself N12345 and still get them waived, or not (I've always had mine waived). In some (typically class B) airports, you need to carry special letters (which are supposed to be faxed in advance to the FBO, but sometimes get lost) to get the waivers. Again, nothing to do with your call sign.
The Angel Flight (or Compassion Flight) call sign is normally only supposed to be used on the "mission leg".
I often hear flights calling themselves "Angel Flight" on the air, but definitely some Angel Flight organizations have been clearly told to cease doing it (and the ACA, which is the loose umbrella group for all the domestic chapters specifically says so on its website).
So I am not really sure what's up with that call sign, does anyone know?

According to the latest AngelFlight West documents (Jan 2015), we still use "Angel Flight" on the radio, and file the flight plan as NGFXnnn (where X is either 6 or 7, nnn is the AFW pilot ID), put Angel Flight and the aircraft's N number in the Remarks section.

According to the latest AngelFlight West documents (Jan 2015), we still use "Angel Flight" on the radio, and file the flight plan as NGFXnnn (where X is either 6 or 7, nnn is the AFW pilot ID), put Angel Flight and the aircraft's N number in the Remarks section.

I suspect there is some kind of behind the scenes political power-play in this area, though I am not sure who the actors are and what their motivations might be (I suspect financial, but no idea).
I try to avoid the politics and just fly the missions, but something like a call sign that would get you (i.e. your patient, who sometimes has just had chemo and/or radiation treatment etc.) a chance of a slightly easier trip, is beyond politics.

If the patient is critical, the "LIFEGUARD" call sign or "lifeguard mission" along with the normal call sign. clears a path.

I'm registered with Pilot n Paws and the use of the compassion call sign will get you discounts on fuel, waived landing fees but special handling...no so much.

If the patient is critical, the "LIFEGUARD" call sign or "lifeguard mission" along with the normal call sign. clears a path.

I'm registered with Pilot n Paws and the use of the compassion call sign will get you discounts on fuel, waived landing fees but special handling...no so much.

Sure, I get priority with "MEDEVAC" or my company call sign with a critical patient but it's not like they have to do much. My altitude and route of flight is generally not in conflict with anyone else.

I've also gotten vectors and altitude restrictions during heavy traffic.

I'm curious how you guys are getting fuel discounts. Everywhere I go never hears my call sign, they just see the plane when I pull up on the ramp. I have had FBO's waive fees before, but that was because I called first and told them what I was doing.

Back