USA Today story on General Aviation Crashes

Seems like a manufacturer witch hunt ignoring the fact that most crashes are pilot error. Who's he working for? Follow the money.

Low blow using the photo of the kids from the Superstition Mountains crash a few years ago.

Actually frank is a well respected writer with a very good education. How about you? I would be very surprised if his articles are not carefully researched.

Actually frank is a well respected writer with a very good education. How about you? I would be very surprised if his articles are not carefully researched.

I've had turds that have garnered more respect than that moron.

"While the airline crash rate has plummeted to near zero, the general-aviation rate is unchanged from 15 years ago -- and roughly 40 times higher than for airlines."​
Whaaa?? You mean "IMSAFE", "PAVE", the "5 Ps", the "3 Ps", "SELF" assessment, "ADAPT", "TRACK", the "3 Ts", "WINGS", "FITS", "TAAs", "SRM" and the FAA's "FAAST" team haven't even made a dent!!

Why am I not surprised. :dunno:

dtuuri

Last edited:

Hmmm

597,689 People die of Heart disease A YEAR!

569,490 People die of Cancer A YEAR!

37,000 People die in car accidents A YEAR!

30,000 People die from Obesity A YEAR!

10,000 People die from lightning strikes A YEAR

I know people die in airplanes but 45,000 in 50 years (900/year) is pretty good compared to the other beasts I mentioned above.

The story is pretty inflamatory, but with that said, the NTSB does like to blame the pilot too much. I've seen pilots take a fuel exhaiustion wrap even though they drained 18 gallons of fuel (where PoH says 2 gal unusable), crashes with missing propellers, etc.

Sent from my SM-T325 using Tapatalk

I do not see much coming from it except maybe for Robinson helicopter. I noticed that the writer mentioned the Cessna seat track issue but did not mention the AD to fix it. Piper was not mentioned at all. I get tired of people telling me what to do with my life.

This was listed as one of his "deadly defects"...

•Helicopter blades that flap wildly in flight and separate from the mast or cut through the helicopter tail;
:rolleyes:

Yeah, they do that all by themselves with no warning...

This guy obviously has it out for GA. With that being said I had a seat in a 172N fly backwards on me during a touch and go once- bad design by Cessna IMHO. To be fair the FBO did not follow the AD that was issued for it, so it was also their fault as well.

This guy obviously has it out for GA. With that being said I had a seat in a 172N fly backwards on me during a touch and go once- bad design by Cessna IMHO. To be fair the FBO did not follow the AD that was issued for it, so it was also their fault as well.

What? The AD wasn't complied with and it's still Cessna's fault the seat slid back?

I dunno about the rest of you but when I'm flying an unfamiliar Cessna, I work the seat vigorously prior to taxiing the aircraft to make sure it's not going anywhere...

What? The AD wasn't complied with and it's still Cessna's fault the seat slid back?

I dunno about the rest of you but when I'm flying an unfamiliar Cessna, I work the seat vigorously prior to taxiing the aircraft to make sure it's not going anywhere...

I've owned my Bo for two years and I do that before every flight. A seat slide isn't the way I want to go out,

The seat in the Maule slides back every once in awhile. The adjustment is a small flat plate that you pull up. Which sometimes doesn't hold the locking pin in place. Especially, if its one of our older ones.

However, I'm already too tall for the cabin to begin with. So I'm normally either all the way back or one notch from the last position. So it is more of an annoyance then a danger. But if it happen to my student who needs an extra seat cushion, the outcome might not be so pretty. He already has a hard time reaching the controls.

The real problem is it isn't expensive enough. We need some more red tape to keep those dangerous airplanes out of the sky.

WOW.... took a lot of dancing around to write that whole article citing all those mechanical issues and totally missing the whole problem with regulatory red tape making it too expensive to get newer/better/safer engines certified...

Hmmm

597,689 People die of Heart disease A YEAR!

569,490 People die of Cancer A YEAR!

37,000 People die in car accidents A YEAR!

30,000 People die from Obesity A YEAR!

10,000 People die from lightning strikes A YEAR

I know people die in airplanes but 45,000 in 50 years (900/year) is pretty good compared to the other beasts I mentioned above.

I must disagree. The half million who die of heart attacks every year are out of a population of 300,000,000, making the heart attack rate 0.2%. The car accident rate becomes 0.01% if treated such (most people drive cars or are driven in them).

The population of active GA pilots is diminutive, about a quarter million according to my Google-Fu. Thus the rate of pilots dying in airplane accidents is 0.4%, or twice as high as the most common thing Americans die of. Moreover, you are susceptible to heart attacks at all times, whereas you are only susceptible to dying in an airplane crash when flying. Thus the fatality rate for GA is frighteningly high.

All that said, people do dangerous things all the time. Part of freedom, which this nation is supposed to be all about.

That article was the most worthless piece of **** I have read since I last visited Bernath's website.

I've owned my Bo for two years and I do that before every flight. A seat slide isn't the way I want to go out,

I just practice flying gangster style (seat all the way back and reclined) from time to time. That way if the seat ever slides back on me, i'm ready. :rofl:

I must disagree. The half million who die of heart attacks every year are out of a population of 300,000,000, making the heart attack rate 0.2%. The car accident rate becomes 0.01% if treated such (most people drive cars or are driven in them).

The population of active GA pilots is diminutive, about a quarter million according to my Google-Fu. Thus the rate of pilots dying in airplane accidents is 0.4%, or twice as high as the most common thing Americans die of. Moreover, you are susceptible to heart attacks at all times, whereas you are only susceptible to dying in an airplane crash when flying. Thus the fatality rate for GA is frighteningly high.

All that said, people do dangerous things all the time. Part of freedom, which this nation is supposed to be all about.

But it's not only considering pilot's dead. Citation crashes with 9 passengers?, that's 9 fatalities.
You have to account not only for active GA pilots, but also for active GA passengers.
And while you are always at risk of a heart attack, there are times when you are more at risk. Same thing with planes, I'm always at risk of a GA aircraft falling on my head, I'm just more at risk when I'm flying in a GA aircraft :D

How about this - absolutely NO airplanes involved in ANY of these photos and this happens many thousands upon thousands of times more often than it does in aviation - every single day in fact. Also they are almost always multi, rather than single, vehicle accidents.

tn.jpg

1.jpg

caraccident.jpeg

0862e503e-1.jpg

Last edited:

0.4%??

That is still low considering the risks involved and especially the way this article portrayed GA. I'm not downplaying the dangers, but I'd bet if you take out all of those "Watch this/I'm trying to impress people/I can still make it with 1/4 of a tank of gas. The fatality amount would be much lower. I just don't like the portrayal that: "Airplanes fall out of the sky all of the time" because that is not true. I rather see the numbers of pilots who did the right thing and died because that is the kind of pilot I would become.

How about this - absolutely NO airplanes involved in ANY of these photos and this happens many thousands upon thousands of times more often than it does in aviation - every single day in fact. Also they are almost always multi, rather than single, vehicle accidents.

tn.jpg

1.jpg

0862e503e-1.jpg

This looks like someone was speeding in a Ferrari! This happened here in Florida a while back. The only coverage it's gotten was on the traffic report.

The bottom one was Paul Walker from "Fast and Furious" and although it's pretty hard to tell it wasn't a a Ferrari it was a Porsche. The point is, even if small airplanes were falling out of the sky on a regular basis they'd mostly be crashing into empty bean fields rather than other people.

0.4%??

That is still low considering the risks involved and especially the way this article portrayed GA. I'm not downplaying the dangers, but I'd bet if you take out all of those "Watch this/I'm trying to impress people/I can still make it with 1/4 of a tank of gas. The fatality amount would be much lower. I just don't like the portrayal that: "Airplanes fall out of the sky all of the time" because that is not true. I rather see the numbers of pilots who did the right thing and died because that is the kind of pilot I would become.

The article in question was misleading to the point of out and out fabrication. That said, there is nothing inherently safe about amateurs flying small aircraft. We manage risk as best we can, but despite this there are crashes and likely always will be. Most of us haven't space engines, redundant instruments and an extra pilot like the airlines. So GA is dangerous, there are no two ways about it. Just not for the reasons listed in that hack article.

...part of a massive and growing death toll from small-aircraft crashes...

Where's the chart? I wanna see something in private aviation that's "growing"

I also want to know how you can be an idiot, show everyone and get paid for it? :dunno:

This dude is on to something here

Where's the chart? I wanna see something in private aviation that's "growing"

The death toll they refer to is the number of people who are dead from flying. That number can only grow, unless some of the previously dead people get resurrected.

I'd bet if you take out all of those "Watch this/I'm trying to impress people/I can still make it with 1/4 of a tank of gas. The fatality amount would be much lower.

Many pilots comfort themselves with imaginary statistics of that sort. But if you look at a sample of the NTSB fatality reports, you see that very few fatalities fall into those categories. Excluding them would barely make a dent in the fatality rate.

Many pilots comfort themselves with imaginary statistics of that sort. But if you look at a sample of the NTSB fatality reports, you see that very few fatalities fall into those categories. Excluding them would barely make a dent in the fatality rate.

I have looked for numbers of actual pilots who own airplanes to have an accurate idea of the death percentage rate but I couldn't find any. This is a difficult task because you have many pilots who own airplanes but do not put it in their name for legal reasons which makes sense.

So our numbers are just "guestimates" at best.

Low blow using the photo of the kids from the Superstition Mountains crash a few years ago.
Particularly because the cause was not attributed to the manufacturer, which I believe to be his point.

Back