US has a passport problem

My wife sent in her renewal in March. The Passport Office cashed the check in 3 days - no problem there. She called the other day to find out the status of her passport. She was told by someone in the office that they were shut down; did not know when they were going to start processing; and workers were not allowed to process applications from home because of “security concerns”. I actually get the last point since the Dept. Of State has some of the worst security in the world, an second, I doubt any of the employees have the technology to work from home unlike banks, etc. But true to form, they can take your money in a hurry

I'm mildly enjoying listening to denverpilot's ranting. He might be technically off base (in the sense of who is who's actual legal "boss"), but in the spirit of what is correct, I don't think he is.

Oh I knew full well I was wrong about the stupid process. Point is, and has been, if the rest of us have to figure out how to be normal adaptable humans — the dolts providing society with nothing lasting or useful, certainly can.

Not that my role is particularly lasting or useful but we managed to keep 150 people working and safely with minuscule resources, through a bare modicum of planning for boring things like fires and floods and even the occasional snowstorm.

The tech isn’t expensive and it’s just not that hard to do. Not hard to do, not super hard to secure, not even all that bad for the two or three workers with absolutely hideous home internet.

Like I said. Plenty of time now to figure it out. Can’t? Okay, the money stops until you do.

The stupid virus ain’t going away. Adapt. You evolved or were given (whatever!) a big brain to do that.

We had two days. We aren’t particularly brilliant humans. We aren’t slouches, but get off your butts and get on with it.

Or send refund checks. You’re expensive overhead. :)

All of my vendors and contractors are answering the phones and doing business now other than two, and those missed out on some nice contracts. Tough. Bye!

The UPS guy said he’s averaging 150 stops a day now and they’re hiring anybody with a pulse.

This thread inspired me to apply for a Global Entry renewal since I am within one year of expiration. My approval came... the next day!

I assume that I'll eventually get a new card, although I've never had to show it.

The number on the card doesn't change and the only time I've needed it it was already programmed into my passport and the appropriate airline had the number from me for PreCheck. I've never been asked for my card, either.

The number on the card doesn't change and the only time I've needed it it was already programmed into my passport and the appropriate airline had the number from me for PreCheck. I've never been asked for my card, either.
True, I can tell the number is the same, but there’s an expiration date on it. When I viewed my approval notice I can see they changed the expiration by 5 years; 2026 instead of 2021. I was intending to use it as government ID for boarding airplanes after October since my DL is not ‘enhanced’, but I’m pretty sure they have delayed the deadline for that since Covid

I've never been asked for my card
The GE card is optional and only really needed if you use the SENTRI or NEXUS lanes at the border. That was the only reason I got a card about 3 years after I got my original GE. I also use it as a govt ID when needed.

LOL. I like that the discussion switched here at the airplane country club to the GE thing.

You know, the system where rich people can pay extra to be less annoyed by a mostly useless government agency.

Hey you! You poor people riding in Steerage in cramped seats and bringing your own snacks!

Get over there in the long line and enjoy the gloved attention!

ROFLMAO.

The GE card is optional and only really needed if you use the SENTRI or NEXUS lanes at the border. That was the only reason I got a card about 3 years after I got my original GE. I also use it as a govt ID when needed.
Yep. I use it alternately with a passport card as ID with TSA rather than letting the airport screener see something with ,y address on it.

the system where rich people can pay extra to be less annoyed by a mostly useless government agency.
Ha. Says the person who probably never landed at Miami after the arrival of several wide body international flights and then cleared immigration and customs in less than 3 minutes while everyone else waited hours. No gloves needed. Didn't realize the CBP was a "mostly useless government agency." You know... there's a reason they call it Global Entry.:rolleyes:

Ha. Says the person who probably never landed at Miami after the arrival of several wide body international flights and then cleared immigration and customs in less than 3 minutes while everyone else waited hours. No gloves needed. Didn't realize the CBP was a "mostly useless government agency." You know... there's a reason they call it Global Entry.:rolleyes:

Tribal lines on maps? Those have gotten hundreds of millions killed.

Yeah, of all the the useless things humans do, I’d rank that pretty high.

Plus the fact that it’s wholly ineffective anyway.

“Welcome to Quadrant U. I need to see your embossed special paper from your bureaucrats in Quadrant B.”

“Okay here you go.”

“Why are you here?”

“Wanted to see the place. Sounded interesting.”

“Do you like us?”

“I haven’t met you until today but you seem fine. Didn’t some guy not like your politicians and shoot Archduke Ferdinand or something?”

“Yes. That’s why we have to ask.”

“Didn’t they just lie?”

“Probably.”

“Stupid crap will probably start a war over some guy we don’t know in frilly clothes who has a nice horse.”

“Yeah. Have a nice stay.”

LOL.

My favorite was modern Canada though.

“Are you here to do a job a Canadian can do?”

“Why don’t you ask the Canadian who paid my boss to assign me from the Appeasement Engineer pool to come up here and do it? I mean I assume there’s a number of bright people who can unpack a shipping crate of electronics, stuff them in a telecom rack, run some wires, and load software from floppy disks into them. But they don’t WANT to, so they paid my boss to send me. It’s a phone system. Do you have phones? If you say I can’t install phone systems I don’t care. My boss will be ****ed though.”

Nah. I just checked no on the form and went about my day. I knew big company tech secrets no Canadian knew, like that to load the software you stuck the disk in and typed “./setup.sh”.

The highly trained customs guy opened the big case with the Sage 930 inside and looked at it dully pretending he knew what a T1 test set was, and deemed it worthy of carrying in my rental car to the customer site.

If you want to cross lines on maps with 50 lbs of cocaine in a backpack, I really don’t care about that either. Heck nowadays if you wanted to take out politicians like that Archduke, you’d just be doing everyone else a favor.

Until they riled everybody up and got all tribal again and send millions to die for their map lines... again.

The really funny one is Canadians and drunks. They’ll lock those out to cultivate their own! LOL.

“Our entire town hockey team got so drunk we ****ed off a bridge together last night. But hey, you have a DUI so we can’t let you visit. Soooooh, reeee.”

ROFLMAO.

As far as clearing customs or TSA or anything else quickly... We all had our tricks learned if we flew all the time. Knew where to park, how to pack the stuff on the wheels, where the bathroom was, fastest lines, blah blah. Also develop SA for the airports you didn’t know. That line... will move fastest... And how to navigate quickly around the perennially lost tourists. Ha. etc.

Not sure what it has to do with my comment that the “bypass” systems are just the people who can afford to use the “HOV”/ toll lane, while everyone else sits in traffic in the lanes they paid only their taxes for.

Peasants! LOL!

I’m sure if I did it often enough today, I could easily afford the equivalent of the FastPass transponder, or make my boss pay for it, too. I didn’t say I didn’t know how to fill out a very convincing expense report. Especially if someone ever makes me travel again.

Was just sayin, this place WOULD be full of folks who can. Demographics and such. Go figure.

Remember kids... (the shirt is available on Amazon) ...

4be21d974e4f0865ad74c8b935980b51.jpg

And we can make that joke in all honesty here in good old DEN! Really happened.

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2015/09/02/tsa-groping-video-released/

The high glamour of air travel and security theatre. LOL. :)

As far as clearing customs or TSA or anything else quickly... We all had our tricks
Ha again. Don’t understand how Global Entry works do you? It obvious considering the off-topic tangents you delve into as usual. What’s funny, is that for someone who tries to say a lot, you never seem to say much of anything. Perhaps you should look at running for office?;)

Yep. I use it alternately with a passport card as ID with TSA rather than letting the airport screener see something with ,y address on it.
I use my TWIC card (sort of a SIDA badge for seaports). It's actually TSA's own issue. I was in Roswell, NM and they admitted they don't see those too often there. The two places I've had issues with it are DCA (which I got an apology for when I inquired) and CLT where they're pilot testing some ID validation system that the TWIC doesn't work on.

I use my TWIC card (sort of a SIDA badge for seaports). It's actually TSA's own issue. I was in Roswell, NM and they admitted they don't see those too often there. The two places I've had issues with it are DCA (which I got an apology for when I inquired) and CLT where they're pilot testing some ID validation system that the TWIC doesn't work on.
I had an issue with the passport card at BWI. Had them call the supervisor, who took one look, shook his head and waved me on. They didn't even need to drag out the book of IDs.

Actually, BWI is the airport where I stopped using anything with my address on it after the TSA ID checker noted the address (in San Antonio), remarked about the neighborhood, then started asking me all kinds of questions about who was home when I travel, how long I'd be gone at a time, and similar stuff that made me feel very uncomfortable personal-security-wise. After tha, it was passport card, Global Entry, or passport for me.

Ha again. Don’t understand how Global Entry works do you? It obvious considering the off-topic tangents you delve into as usual. What’s funny, is that for someone who tries to say a lot, you never seem to say much of anything. Perhaps you should look at running for office?;)

Doesn’t matter in the slightest for the point. Pay more, get better service.

The interviews and such? Who cares? Seriously. Useless.

If you wanted to do harm suddenly one day, you would.

Absolutely worthless theater.

Oh I knew full well I was wrong about the stupid process.
Gotta say, I find this bizarre. Hard to understand the point of saying things that you know are wrong, and sure isn't conducive to a good-faith conversation.

For what it's worth, Global Entry costs $20 a year, which isn't the exclusive domain of rich or premium cabin travelers. "Worthless theater" or not, you're still going to stand in the theater's line...

I am reticent to show anybody my driver's license. The driver's license number has become the defacto id for online banking (moreso than SSNs).

Gotta say, I find this bizarre. Hard to understand the point of saying things that you know are wrong, and sure isn't conducive to a good-faith conversation.

For what it's worth, Global Entry costs $20 a year, which isn't the exclusive domain of rich or premium cabin travelers. "Worthless theater" or not, you're still going to stand in the theater's line...

I think it's now $100, I checked when I got Pre-Check a couple of years ago but the closest office for an interview from New Hampshire was in Boston and only open M-F from 7am-3pm (don't get me started on govt office availability)

Passports: I don’t know about the US State Department, but the Chinese consulate was able to process a visa for me in 5 days. All done by emails and then at the end, sending my passport in to them.

Global Entry: mine expired since while I was based in Europe I let it expire. It when I did come back to the states, I used the TSA’s mobile pass app and 90% of the time I made it past the CBP Officer before the GE user that I was walking alongside. Now that I’m back to international flying, I may renew my GE, but I’m not sure it’s worth it.

I think it's now $100, I checked when I got Pre-Check a couple of years ago but the closest office for an interview from New Hampshire was in Boston and only open M-F from 7am-3pm (don't get me started on govt office availability)
$100 fee, but valid for 5 years, right? At least, I think my renewal late last year was about that.

Not gonna deny that scheduling and getting to the interview can be a PITA, and probably worse right now. I do not understand why some people get interviewed even for renewals and others don't (I didn't, and I'm not even a US citizen!).

$100 fee, but valid for 5 years, right? At least, I think my renewal late last year was about that.

Not gonna deny that scheduling and getting to the interview can be a PITA, and probably worse right now. I do not understand why some people get interviewed even for renewals and others don't (I didn't, and I'm not even a US citizen!).

I didn't check how long it was valid for once I knew it would take almost an entire day for 1 international trip per year, but agree with the math if it's valid for 5 years.

Moblle Passport is a pain in the ass (and it's not got anything to do with the TSA). All it really is is an electronic version of the 6069B. LAX had plenty of non-GE kiosks that did the same thing were about as fast as you could get when I went through there in March.

It is but it's for 5 years so that's $20/year.

It's even less if you have a credit card or airline program that rebates the cost.

It's even less if you have a credit card or airline program that rebates the cost.
Yes, like $0. That credit came through almost immediately after the charge.

My wife and I paid for our passports back in February...still no passports.

This thread inspired me to apply for a Global Entry renewal since I am within one year of expiration. My approval came... the next day!

I assume that I'll eventually get a new card, although I've never had to show it.
Generally you only need it for crossing the border on the ground. We used it at the Canadian border a couple of years ago to get in the fast lane.

Wayne

I think the cards come out of the system untouched by human hands. Margy got her GE card within a week or two from her interview in mid-March.
/

I'm mildly enjoying listening to denverpilot's ranting. He might be technically off base (in the sense of who is who's actual legal "boss"), but in the spirit of what is correct, I don't think he is. I've seen plenty of bureaucratic support entities in my life forget that they are there to support, not the other way around. And a similar amount who just throw in the towel at the first possible excuse. Not pointing fingers at anyone specifically, but the fed govt is a model of extreme inefficiency. This shouldn't be the Soviet Union, but our govt bureaucracies are doing their best to model themselves after them without even realizing it.
Pournelle's Iron Law at work.

I am reticent to show anybody my driver's license. The driver's license number has become the defacto id for online banking (moreso than SSNs).
Find a bank that offers an RSA code generator.

The good thing is a lot of countries are still closed so your passport is useless anyway.

Neither my wife nor I needed an interview to renew global entry. I assume they only interview folks they suspect have been naughty. :eek:

Passports: I don’t know about the US State Department, but the Chinese consulate was able to process a visa for me in 5 days. All done by emails and then at the end, sending my passport in to them.

Global Entry: mine expired since while I was based in Europe I let it expire. It when I did come back to the states, I used the TSA’s mobile pass app and 90% of the time I made it past the CBP Officer before the GE user that I was walking alongside. Now that I’m back to international flying, I may renew my GE, but I’m not sure it’s worth it.

The value of GE largely depends on your typical port of entry. I fly in and out of Dulles for business, and it takes less than 5 minutes to get through global entry and often over an hour if you go through the regular line. This is all pre-COVID of course.

The value of GE largely depends on your typical port of entry. I fly in and out of Dulles for business, and it takes less than 5 minutes to get through global entry and often over an hour if you go through the regular line. This is all pre-COVID of course.
Last time through JFK (Intl/Delta terminal) the line was quoting 90 minutes for the regular line, while Global Entry was about 5 minutes (and would have been faster if half the machines weren't down).

Neither my wife nor I needed an interview to renew global entry. I assume they only interview folks they suspect have been naughty. :eek:

We didn't, either. Just took time to do it on-line. Months, in my case. It didn't matter, the extension was allowed long before the actual approval came through.

I typically arrive back through SFO. Likewise, GE is much faster than standing in line.

Both times I've come into the US in the last year, the non-GE process was as fast (if not faster) than the GE one. Neither time was there an appreciable line at passport control. The delays came trying to get OUT once I'd retrieved my bags and then to get rescreened to go on my connecting flight (no PreChek treatment at those lines).

Both times I've come into the US in the last year, the non-GE process was as fast (if not faster) than the GE one. Neither time was there an appreciable line at passport control. The delays came trying to get OUT once I'd retrieved my bags and then to get rescreened to go on my connecting flight (no PreChek treatment at those lines).

Sounds like IAH. I've certainly run into that problem there. At least at SFO there is PreCheck.

I wasn't necessarily expecting to be interviewed, even though I visited a good number of countries all over the world. However I was extremely surprised to get the approval the day after I applied.

Sounds like IAH. I've certainly run into that problem there. At least at SFO there is PreCheck.
At the security check inside the transit area? Neither LAX or IAD had precheck process at those checkpoints, the regular ones yes.

Back