US Airways A320 Crash Into Hudson River

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
A US Airways flight heading to Charlotte, NC from New York LaGuardia crashed into the Hudson river just a bit ago. Danos informed me.

From the video I saw of rescue efforts, the plane looked intact and the front cabin door was open. It looked like they were rescuing people. Hopefully only minor injuries (if any).

Check out MSNBC for video.

EDIT: Shouldn't say "crash". The plane looks intact. Looks like an emergency landing.

Alleged to be Canada Geese, both engines.

Blame Canada.

---

Edit:

Aircraft appeared completely intact; Bravo Zulu to the pilots! They earned it today.

Last edited:
Re: US Airways down?

yikes. NYC is the coldests its been in a decade, along with most of the rest of the country. hopefully they can get everyone out of the water OK.

Now we'll hear how we must be protected from Gooses.

fascinating. wouldn't it be great if someone got a video of the water LANDING! It's floating and no visible damage.

Passengers deplaned, in a building on shore now, per CNN live. Good job to the pilots for bringing her down safely!

I got a Flightaware map which showed the track right into the river- I should have screen-snapped it, because now they show a map with the whole eastern seaboard. I also saw the "Track Log," which reflected a highest altitude of 3200', and last return of 200'.

It appeared that the plane was trying to circle back for LGA, but could not make it (with zero turning, that's a given, I guess).

Again, the flight crew did exceptionally well, from all I can see. And, of course, I am fully-qualified to make that assessment.

Time Position Ground
speed Altitude Facility Central TZ Latitude Longitude kts Feet Location/Type
14:26 40.80 -73.87 151 1800
blank12x13.gif
tracon.gif
New York TRACON
14:27 40.83 -73.87 174 2800
arrow_up.gif
tracon.gif
New York TRACON
14:27 40.86 -73.88 194 3200
arrow_up.gif
center.gif
New York Center
14:28 40.88 -73.90 202 2000
arrow_down.gif
tracon.gif
New York TRACON
14:28 40.86 -73.93 215 1600
arrow_down.gif
center.gif
New York Center
14:29 40.83 -73.95 194 1200
arrow_down.gif
tracon.gif
New York TRACON
14:29 40.82 -73.97 191 1300
arrow_up.gif
center.gif
New York Center
14:30 40.78 -74.00 189 400
arrow_down.gif
tracon.gif
New York TRACON
14:31 40.75 -74.02 153 300
arrow_down.gif
tracon.gif
New York TRACON

I also saw the "Track Log," which reflected a highest altitude of 3200', and last return of 200'.

Again, the flight crew did exceptionally well, from all I can see. And, of course, I am fully-qualified to make that assessment.

That was a long four minutes from 3200 to the water, I'm sure (looking at the track timestamps)... and ditto to the crew compliment. I just saw a picture of many passengers standing out on a wing. NOAA's site reports the water temp in the high 30's; brrrrrrrr.

Reuters reporting...

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A small plane carrying more than a dozen people splashed down in the frigid waters of the Hudson River off Manhattan on Thursday and survivors were seen standing on the wings awaiting rescue, Reuters witnesses said.
It was not clear what caused the plane to go down. It was floating on the surface of the fast-moving river and ferries were seen approaching to rescue passengers.

An A320 is a "small plane" that can carry "more than a dozen people"? Hrm.

Drat!!! Another banned site!

Hopefully all survived?

Gary

Attachments

• security.jpg
    security.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 46
What are the cloud decks? Was 3200 IFR or VFR?

CNN's video coverage just had an interview with one of the passengers... very interesting.

Terrific job by the crew and the Mariners. reports I'm seeing say they hit a flock of geese, and that everyone got out. Pics show what looks like a perfect evacuation - all four doors open, folks waiting on the wings and on the raft area for pickup, which apparently got there in four-five minutes.

What are the cloud decks? Was 3200 IFR or VFR?
Wx was improving:

KLGA 152051Z 36008KT 10SM SCT044 M06/M15 A3025 RMK AO2 SLP242 T10611150 53014
KLGA 151951Z 34013KT 10SM BKN035 M06/M14 A3022 RMK AO2 SLP234 T10611139
KLGA 151851Z 35009KT 210V020 10SM SCT028 SCT050 M07/M13 A3022 RMK AO2 SLP231 T10671128
KLGA 151751Z COR 33011KT 10SM SCT020 BKN032 BKN080 BKN140 M07/M12 A3021 RMK AO2 SNE30 SLP228 P0000 60000 931010 4/001 T10721117 11072 21083 53024 $
KLGA 151744Z 01012KT 10SM SCT020 BKN030 BKN080 BKN140 M07/M12 A3021 RMK AO2 SNE30 P0000 $
KLGA 151728Z COR 35010KT 6SM -SN BKN020 BKN038 OVC140 M07/M12 A3021 RMK AO2 P0000 $

Well that clears up my theory.

I was kind of thinking maybe they hit the flock because it was in the clouds.

Course --- at their speeds, at full climb, they'd probably never see the flock anyway...

Ok strike that. I posted this before the weather report.

So ... concealed flock?

An excellent job of an emergency landing by the pilots, to not only land safely but in the process land without hitting anything else.

Hopefully, all the reports are correct of everyone making it out alive.

Airbus A320 . Just heard a description by a man that saw the approach and landing. He said it was totally smooth and under control. Clearly any of the media that uses the word "crash" should be soundly condemned. Those pilots did a magnificent job.

I heard about it on the way home from work. I looked up at the OAT on my rear-view mirror and it said 20 degrees F, and the first thing I thought was that they'd better get those folks out of the water -- quickly. (I live right across the East River from LGA.)

It looks like the pilots averted what could have been a real tragedy, and the response by the mariners seems to have been immediate and textbook perfect, at least from the reports I've read. Nice work all around.

-Rich

An excellent job of an emergency landing by the pilots, to not only land safely but in the process land without hitting anything else.

Hopefully, all the reports are correct of everyone making it out alive.

100% made it out alive according to FOX news and the FAA. They may have gotten wet, but no casualties.

I'm stunned.

Happy,

But stunned.

Wonder if we should anticipate the lawsuit about how the pilots should have diverted around the birds...

No no, happy thoughts right now. Thank goodness everyone made it out safely, and congrats to the pilots on an amazing landing.

It looks like the pilots averted what could have been a real tragedy, and the response by the mariners seems to have been immediate and textbook perfect, at least from the reports I've read. Nice work all around.

-Rich

Absolutely. This is amazing. What a text book perfect rescue.

They even hooked a tug boat to the plane and they are towing it to shallow waters.

It sure is a good thing the pilot filed a flight plan! :rofl:

Last edited:
Yikes... but it looks like a ditching where everything went right. Pretty doggone cold here today, but at least the sun came out.

The reports right now are pretty nauseating: "the plane fell in the river"... "it just hit the water"... "a bird cut the engines"... " Somebody needs to say "Awesome!! the crew did a terrific job, and everyone's gonna be OK!"
Of course, it ain't quite over yet... there may be minor injuries, and I don't think they've gotten everyone out yet.

I may have to go over there after work and have a look... apparently it's near the Manhattan shore somewhere around midtown.

Last edited:
Absolutely. This is amazing. What a text book perfect rescue.

They even hooked a tug boat to the plane and they are towing it to shallow waters.

Gonna be interesting to see what they do with it. I'm guessing in this case they'll chop it up and bring it on shore to be disposed of? How long would that take?

Fox news is now reporting 2 women were taken to the hospital after they walked off the plane. No indication as to why. Lets just hope it is precautionary.

It might have been planned or just luck, but the plane came to rest right next to a harbor ferry station. Witnesses said the harbor ferries were there in just seconds. I wonder if they had to pay the ferry charge or will the airline pick that up? :rofl:

Amazing.

Last edited:
It might have been planned or just luck, but the plane came to rest right next to a water ferry station. Witnesses said the harbor ferries were there in just seconds.

Possibly a little of both. But after 9-11, the professional mariners who work the waters here (as well as pleasure boaters who chose to participate) have received emergency response training. I took a course myself a few years ago (my brothers and I had a boat back then), and the quality of the course rivaled the training I received in the USCG.

-Rich

I wonder if US Airways will charge extra for the "cruise"

Since you started it, the beleagured USAir frequent flyers have already started with the jokes...

"Finally! a US Air plane gets a deep cleaning!"
"The passengers will get a whole 31 miles for the trip. Too bad the 500 mile minimum is gone"

Time + Tragedy = comedy

Back