"Upgrading" Sport Pilot to PPL

Z06tink72

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
My z06 is faster than your C172
I'm going to upgrade from Sport Pilot to Private Pilot, and had submitted a new student pilot application after my CFI said he talked to the FAA which directed that it was necessary.

I waited 4 weeks for it with no activity (see my wait time thread here), then called the FAA to see wassup.

They said no, you don't need another student pilot certificate. My application was basically "noted" in my file, no action would be taken from it. I ran it by AOPA airmen services too, they said the same. Here is the endorsement needed:

"70. To act as PIC of an aircraft in solo operations when the pilot does not hold an appropriate category/class rating: § 61.31(d)(2).
I certify that (First name, MI, Last name) has received the training as required by § 61.31(d)(2) to serve as a PIC in a (specific category and class of aircraft). I have determined that he/she is prepared to serve as PIC in that (make and model) aircraft. Limitations: (optional).
/s/ [date] J. J. Jones 987654321CFI Exp. 12-31-19 "

There is little to no help on this out on the interwebs, so hopefully this helps somebody. And shout out to user flyingRon for calling this correctly in the first place.

Yep,, that's the correct endorsement. Use it all the time for airplane pilots upgrading to glider.

You are only a student once. After that first certificate, in this case sport Pilot, then you are a qualified pilot upgrading your certificate.

Did the CFI really talk to FAA? That FSDO Ops guy needs a review and possible demotion.

Did the CFI really talk to FAA? That FSDO Ops guy needs a review and possible demotion.

It wasn't the FSDO he talked to, it was somebody at Airment Cert in OK. In fact I called that same group of folks and until the person I got talked to her coworker or boss, she didn't know the answer either. Guess this isn't done a lot.

BTW, what prompted you to "upgrade"?

Want to take my family on flights, 2 seats isn't enough. Plus there's only 1 plane I can fly at my club.

Back