Student pilot certificate wait time

Z06tink72

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
My z06 is faster than your C172
Wondering how long its been taking people to get their student pilot application approved?

I submitted mine 9/24, the status in IACRA went to "Recieved By Registry" on 9/28. So its been 7 business days since then and no change.

Don't want to sound anxious, I know gov't runs slow. But would like to know if anybody did this recently and what their wait time was. Also how far between approved in IACRA and getting the card in the mail?

From the FAA site (htp://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/)
  • We are currently processing permanent Airmen Certificates for temporary certificates that were issued approximately August 17, 2016.
So they're missing their self-imposed target of three weeks by over four weeks. Expect your certificate by Thanksgiving.

I had seen that. But the wording used, "processing permanent Airmen Certificates for temporary certificates that were issued..." led me to believe that student pilot certifications might be in a different queue. No temporary certificate for students .

I am pretty sure it took over 4 weeks for mine to arrive.

Wondering how long its been taking people to get their student pilot application approved?

I submitted mine 9/24, the status in IACRA went to "Recieved By Registry" on 9/28. So its been 7 business days since then and no change.

Don't want to sound anxious, I know gov't runs slow. But would like to know if anybody did this recently and what their wait time was. Also how far between approved in IACRA and getting the card in the mail?
That sucks. Is this holding you up? You can train up to solo without it, right?

That sucks. Is this holding you up? You can train up to solo without it, right?

I'm a sport pilot upgrading to PPL. But even without that yea I could train but not solo. Yes its going to hold me up if they sit on it until Thanksgiving.

This Thanksgiving I'm thankful for ... big government, red tape, bureaucrats, delay and waste!

I'm a sport pilot upgrading to PPL. But even without that yea I could train but not solo. Yes its going to hold me up if they sit on it until Thanksgiving.

This Thanksgiving I'm thankful for ... big government, red tape, bureaucrats, delay and waste!
I had a long delay getting my medical sorted out, about 6 months. You can work on your simulated instrument stuff (foggles).

Student pilot certificates are in a different queue. Mine got theirs in about 2 weeks.

Student pilot certificates are in a different queue. Mine got theirs in about 2 weeks.

Sweet, thats what I was hoping for. I'll report back when mine comes for a data point.

Have you finally get your SPL? How many days roughly to get it?

Have you finally get your SPL? How many days roughly to get it?

I started November 2015, took the checkride March 2016. Would have been quicker but the plane had a 6 week annual and winter weather didn't cooperate. Took the checkride with 20.2 hours.

I'm in that other queue, got my temporary last Sunday. I won't hold my breath.

Hold the phone. If you have a Sport Pilot Certificate, why are you even applying for a student pilot certificate. You do not need one.

Hold the phone. If you have a Sport Pilot Certificate, why are you even applying for a student pilot certificate. You do not need one.

How would I be PIC during the checkride in a non-sport aircraft? Or solo in a non-sport?

My CFI called the FAA (not the FSDO) to ask this very question, they said you need one.

How would I be PIC during the checkride in a non-sport aircraft? Or solo in a non-sport?

When I took my private checkride I was not qualified to be PIC in anything.

I think you were qualified to be PIC. Had you not solo'd before the checkride??

§ 61.47 Status of an examiner who is authorized by the Administrator to conduct practical tests.
(a) An examiner represents the Administrator for the purpose of conducting practical tests for certificates and ratings issued under this part and to observe an applicant's ability to perform the areas of operation on the practical test.

(b) The examiner is not the pilot in command of the aircraft during the practical test unless the examiner agrees to act in that capacity for the flight or for a portion of the flight by prior arrangement with:

(1) The applicant; or

(2) A person who would otherwise act as pilot in command of the flight or for a portion of the flight.

(c) Notwithstanding the type of aircraft used during the practical test, the applicant and the examiner (and any other occupants authorized to be on board by the examiner) are not subject to the requirements or limitations for the carriage of passengers that are specified in this chapter.

It's been a few months since I submitted one but the ones I've done have come back in 7-10 days from being submitted.

It's still the case that you are not allowed to hold more than one pilot certificate at a time. I don't know if you will get a student issued if you have a sport pilot.

Back