Upgrade Package advise

Georgeyk17

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Georgeyk17
So my partners and I are looking to do some electronics upgrades to our 1976 182P , Serial No 18264536. We're looking to get some outside advice or recommendations on our package ideas. Saving some $$ is always a plus so I appreciate your thoughts and advice in advance.

Currently installed items:
- Garmin GTX 345 Transponder
- Garmin GNC 255
- VOR

Package Option 1
- Garmin GTN 750Xi GPS/Nav/Com
- Garmin GMA 345 Audio Panel
- Electronics International CGR-30P-6-B
- Mid Continent Instrument MD93H Digital Clock/USB Charger

Package Option 2
- Garmin GTN 650Xi GPS/Nav/Com
- Garmin GMA 345 Audio Panel

Package Option 3
- IFD440 Touch Screen FMS/GPS/NAV/COM
- PS Engineering PMA8000B-T Audio Panel

Package Option 4
- IFD540 Touch Screen FMS/GPS/NAV/COM
- PS Engineering PMA8000B-T Audio Panel

Remove / Replace the following items:
-Apollo SL60
- KMA 20 TSO
- Manifold Gauge
- Clock
- Telex Audio Control

Any of these would be great packages to fly behind. Add dual G5s to the least expensive choice and remove the vac system you've got a whale of an IFR flyer, plus 10-20 lb extra useful load, depending on the amount of excess and defunct wiring removed.

Ditch the GTN750XI for a smaller unit and get dual G5s. If you get a GFC500 later down the road then both the GNC 255 and GTN will display on the G5s, eliminating the need for a stand-alone CDI for the GNC.

182 is a great airplane for GFC500 with auto pitch trim.

If you're going to go with a heavy garmin interconnect, have you thought about the GI 275 EIS instead of the CGR-30P? I love the look of the CGR but the 275 can also be a primary for "...fuel, electrical and other data." I bet they'd make sure audible alerts would work with that 345 audio box.

If you're going to go with a heavy garmin interconnect, have you thought about the GI 275 EIS instead of the CGR-30P? I love the look of the CGR but the 275 can also be a primary for "...fuel, electrical and other data." I bet they'd make sure audible alerts would work with that 345 audio box.
The disadvantage to the GI-275 EIS in my mind is that the JPI and EI in my opinion have better EGT/CHT bar graph presentations.

Also, have you looked at the uAvionix AV20S for a clock?

BTW, if you install any of the GPS navigators, you will also likely need to add a CDI, e.g. GI-106B or whatever the latest model is. If you spring for G5s, you can ditch the CDI. That offsets the G5 acquisition costs slightly. And it will be less labor to do this all at once. If you have a compatible legacy AP, the G5s will give you GPSS roll steering emulation now.

Stay tuned for Spirit of Sun N Fun rebates... :) Responding to a previous post, the CGR-30P Premium can be primary for any engine or fuel level instrument.

Ditch the PSE 8000 and get the PSE450B. Slightly more expensive and a lot more audio panel. You will love the high watt USB-C power port. Also get the EI USB hub. You get 2 USB-A charging ports and a USB port to download CGR-30P data post flight for analysis. It's not very expensive.

Just want to be clear, the CGR-30P comes with a USB plug to download from, there is nothing extra to buy. If the installer wants to they could really buy just about any USB jack and pin it to appropriate CGR connector.

I'm pretty sure I used the USB connector supplied in the kit, but I did design and buy a metal overlay to fit, think I used frontpanelexpress.

upload_2020-3-17_8-7-33.png

Last edited:
The CGR-30P does indeed include a 3' USB dongle with a flange to allow it to be mounted in the panel. See pic.

Attachments

• usb.jpg
    usb.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 24
What are your goals for this upgrade? Ease of use? Reliability / taking out the vacuum system? Enhanced capability?

It might also help to take a picture of your current panel, and then photo shop a mock up of what it would look like so you can get a better idea of how it will all work / look.

Just an FYI, The Avidyne panel units have USB ports that are not just for updates, you can charge and run things off them also.

ok, i had no idea you could install a secondary one / back up one

You mean an instrument that isn’t required or replacing any existing required equipment? Almost like tossing in another gyro powered by 12 volts instead of vacuum.

Currently installed items:
- Garmin GTX 345 Transponder
- Garmin GNC 255
- VOR

Remove / Replace the following items:
-Apollo SL60
- KMA 20 TSO
- Manifold Gauge
- Clock
- Telex Audio Control

Add:
- Garmin GTN 750Xi GPS/Nav/Com or - Garmin GTN 650Xi GPS/Nav/Com or - IFD440 Touch Screen FMS/GPS/NAV/COM or - IFD540 Touch Screen FMS/GPS/NAV/COM
- Garmin GMA 345 Audio Panel or - PS Engineering PMA8000B-T Audio Panel

OK, shortened that up a bit. :)

You say you're looking to save money, but you don't include any of Garmin's newer, cheaper GPS units here... Any particular reason why? It seems that replacing the Apollo SL60 GPS/Com with a GNC 355 GPS/Com (same physical size, too) is probably a good way to save money, unless you really want two NAV radios again.

For the GPS - I love a big screen (and I have a GTN 750) but you can always get away with using an iPad as the big screen if you really want to save money on avionics. If you're one of the very few people who don't already have an EFB app on your iPad that you like, the Avidyne IFD series lets you have a big screen with the same interface running on your iPad which is pretty cool. (I suppose you could use two iPads too - One EFB, one IFD.) But I wouldn't go with Avidyne absent a compelling reason to do so, for example you're coming from a Garmin GNS series and you want to do the slide-in replacement to save money on the install. Since you're replacing an SL60, the Avidyne doesn't really do you any good.

For the audio panel - There's not really any compelling reason to get the GMA 345. I would recommend one of two things: The GMA 350c if you go with a Garmin GPS, because you can voice-control the GTN if you have the 350c, which is quite useful. If you don't get the GMA 350c, or if you don't get a Garmin GTN series GPS, then go with something from PS Engineering. They do one and only one thing (audio panels) and they're damn good at it. As mentioned elsewhere, look at the PMA 450B in addition to the 8000.

The rest, it looks like you've made your decision already!

Do you have an autopilot? If you've got the $$, that would be a great addition. I'd get dual G5s and the GFC500 and ditch the vacuum system. "While we're in there" may be the most expensive phrase in aviation, but the fewer times you have to pull everything apart, the cheaper it is in the long run. No sense doing piecemeal avionics upgrades unless there's no other way.

We just finished a panel upgrade and threw in a g5 HSI and I love it. Takes the place of 2 instruments

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bet they'd make sure audible alerts would work with that 345 audio box.
negetive on EIS part. The GI 275 EIS is not interfaced to the audio system. - from AFMS

Back