Upgrade 430 to W

JohnAJohnson

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
JohnAJohnson
I'd like to send my 430 to Garmin for upgrade to a 430W. I'd like to do the antenna installation under A&P supervision, and after installation, I know I'll need to fly it to an avionics shop for IFR certification.

Anyone know if they will ship the 430W back to my A&P (or directly to me)?

Last edited:
Best to let as hop handle this.

The W is more finicky with interference than the non WAAS version, If you're planning on planting it on top of a KX155 or something be day to rearrange the panel.

Will Garmin even ship it back to someone who is not an approved shop?

mine went thru a shop....then the shop shipped it to me to do the install. Yes, I'm an A&P.....but, Garmin wanted to deal with a shop.:mad2:

My work won't even sell me a GTN650 without installing it. :mad2:

I don't think so. Garmin will only deal with Garmin contract shops & dealers from what I've noticed dealing with them.

I don't think you can send it directly to Garmin either. Last I checked, it looks like the entire transaction needs to be run through a Garmin dealer.

FWIW, the last quote I got for a WASS conversion on a 430, including the R+R labor was ~$4800.

yeah, I don't think so. Garmin will only deal with Garmin contract shops & dealers from what I've noticed dealing with them.

Another option might be to go through one of the shops that caters to E-AB folks. They don't ask what airframe it's going in. SteinAir and Stark are 2 of the big names out there.

I don't think so. Garmin will only deal with Garmin contract shops & dealers from what I've noticed dealing with them.

I had this conversation with Garmin a few months ago regarding the GTX-330/ES. They will allow you to send it to them provided a shop coordinates it beforehand. So, for example, the shop is 300 miles away and you want to pull it out, send it in, then take the plane to the shop, Garmin will allow that.

I had this conversation with Garmin a few months ago regarding the GTX-330/ES. They will allow you to send it to them provided a shop coordinates it beforehand. So, for example, the shop is 300 miles away and you want to pull it out, send it in, then take the plane to the shop, Garmin will allow that.
Oh, thanks for reminding me why I won't be including the GTX-330/ES in my list of options when upgrading to ADS-B "out"......:mad2:

yeah, I don't think so. Garmin will only deal with Garmin contract shops & dealers from what I've noticed dealing with them.

that's what I was going to say. When looking at transponders, they wouldn't sell to me, but the BK stuff was fine to ship to my house.

Sounds like Garmin is trying to keep up a healthy dealer network. Not necessarily a bad thing, still frustrating to me.

that's what I was going to say. When looking at transponders, they wouldn't sell to me, but the BK stuff was fine to ship to my house.

BK will sell anything to anyone. From that point on, you may be ****ed though. I'm done with BK products myself, their support is atrocious.

BK will sell anything to anyone. From that point on, you may be ****ed though. I'm done with BK products myself, their support is atrocious.

Burger King? British Knights? Baircraft Kpruce?

Please help!

It crossed my mind, too. The KT74 is using similar electronics found in other transponders, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Burger King? British Knights? Baircraft Kpruce?

Please help!

what?
Ive had great support from their HQ in Kansas City, they have always overhauled at a much lower price than the local avionics shops....

I don't think you can send it directly to Garmin either. Last I checked, it looks like the entire transaction needs to be run through a Garmin dealer.

FWIW, the last quote I got for a WASS conversion on a 430, including the R+R labor was ~$4800.

Well I think it has to be ordered up by an approved shop, but I don't think they care who ships it to them. They won't send it back except to the shop.

Back