Unwanted Calls

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
The amount of telemarketing callers I receive on a daily basis seems to be increasing. For each one I block, 3 more replace it, so what's the deal with this? I never remember this being such a nuisance. Anybody else get this?

IMG_1549.PNG

Yes, to the point where I'm considering changing my #. I've been on the Do Not Call registry since it was started (double checked last month to be sure my # is still on there). But every day I'm getting calls from random numbers from all over the freakin' place. I never answer and they never leave a message. This just started happening a few months back and it's getting worse by the day.

Yes, to the point where I'm considering changing my #.

I have changed my number more than once due to military moves and changing service providers, and it doesn't help reduce the telemarketing calls. These numbers get recycled, so although a number may be new to *you*, it isn't new to the lists that it already exists on.

I'm still getting calls and texts for the last two people who had the number I currently have.

Yes, to the point where I'm considering changing my #. I've been on the Do Not Call registry since it was started (double checked last month to be sure my # is still on there). But every day I'm getting calls from random numbers from all over the freakin' place. I never answer and they never leave a message. This just started happening a few months back and it's getting worse by the day.
I've been wondering if the telemarketers and scammers might even be using the do not call list as a source of numbers to call. I wanted to take my number off the list because of that possibility, but that appeared to no longer be an option last time I checked.

I don't even answer the phone anymore unless it's a number or name that I recognize.
that doesn't even work.....I just picked up a call from my neighbor....and it wasn't them, someone with a foreign accent.

I receive them occasionally, and some of them are now masquerading as local cell phone numbers. There are several "anti-spam-call" apps for both Android and iOS, but I don't know how well they work.

Some carriers (such as ATT) have a free service to help block these calls, but at least in ATT's case I think it only works in VoLTE areas. Not sure of the details.

JKG

I live in State 'A'. My cell phone's number is from State 'B', a thousand miles away. I get lots of calls from State 'B's area code; 100% are spam/scam/robos, and are not answered.

A legit caller would leave a message. These cretins never do.

The do not call list doesn't work. Last I heard, there have been NO prosecutions for violating it. And it's already illegal to make soliciting calls to cellphones, but that's ignored too.

I'd like to see all soliciting calls made illegal, but of course that will never happen. One wonders what elected officials get donations from the call centers...

I don't even answer the phone anymore unless it's a number or name that I recognize.
As you can see, I don't answer them either. A few weeks ago I got one from my local area code so I assumed it to be legit, I answered it and of course it was a scam.

Whoever they are, they're smart enough to use a local number to entice the recipient to answer.

I don't answer unknown numbers either, but I have gotten numerous messages that start out with some woman adjusting her headset...

This is the transcript.

Oh, I am so sorry about that. I was having a little problem with my headset anyway. My name is Emily, and I'm calling because you stayed at one of our resorts in the past and you qualify for a 75% savings on an amazing 4 day 3 night vacation Getaway in Magical, Orlando, Florida and a 3 day 2 nights day in sunny South Florida where you will then depart on a fabulous 2 night cruise to the bahamas and as an added bonus you'll receive an unlimited mileage rental car. So you can visit all the attractions now. Here's the best part we're going to include your breakfast lunch and dinner for your entire vacation as well as your entertainment on board the cruise, and I only have a few questions to ask before a transfer you to a personal travel coordinator who will give you all the details on your vacation, okay? I'm so sorry I didn't. Hear you clearly can I ask you a few questions before I transfer you to a travel coordinator who will give you all the details on your amazing vacation can I ask you a few questions before a transfer you to a travel coordinator who will give you all the details on your amazing vacation?

that doesn't even work.....I just picked up a call from my neighbor....and it wasn't them, someone with a foreign accent.
I answered the phone one time because it said it was ME calling. Caller ID had my name and number on the phone. I shouldn't have answered but I was curious. Later, I spoke with three of my neighbors on my street that were ****ed because I called (several times( them and then hung up. Later I read that scammers will spoof the number of someone and call neighbors assuming they will answer because they recognize the ID. Then when they answer, their name goes in a database of working phone numbers that then get sold to other scammers.

I don't answer unknown numbers either, but I have gotten numerous messages that start out with some woman adjusting her headset...

This is the transcript.
I got that call yesterday. I tried to talk over her to say stop and put me on their do not call list but she either pretended not to hear me, or she was a a robot.

I have gotten numerous messages that start out with some woman adjusting her headset...

This is the transcript.
Yes! I've gotten a similar one as well. I used to think the increase in calls were due to the election season and once it passed they would diminish, but it's long over and there's yet to be any change. Blew that theory. :(

I got that call yesterday. I tried to talk over her to say stop and put me on their do not call list but she either pretended not to hear me, or she was a a robot.
Robot

Start calling and faxing your congress critters and complain. Keep up calling and faxing. At some point, they will get the message.

Keep calling. Keep emailing. Keep faxing.

Start calling and faxing your congress critters and complain. Keep up calling and faxing. At some point, they will get the message.

Keep calling. Keep emailing. Keep faxing.
If only. I'm sure this issue is number 83,726,353 on their list of objectives to accomplish, unfortunately.

Oh yeah, I received that one around 10 times by now.

I want a number that costs someone $5 to make a call to, with the option for me to refund it later for people I actually wanted to talk to.

I'd like to see all soliciting calls made illegal, but of course that will never happen. One wonders what elected officials get donations from the call centers...

That's an absurd notion....That's like cutting someones hand off for shoplifting (not really an equitable comparison, but you get my point). There's nothing wrong with being proactive in a sales position. Anyone who says otherwise has never worked sales/retail. HOWEVER....I also think that those that violate the Do-Not-Call list, or repeatedly call people who have requested to be "taken off their list" to be reprimanded and punished. I haven't thought far enough into it to offer a suggestion as to the punishment, but I feel it would be acceptable/appropriate.

OMG... this from the thread: https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/warning-do-not-try-this-at-home.102183/

Mine was post 20... the arse comments followed quickly. heehee

True story. (can it be? A true story from Ravioli?)

I had a telemarketing firm call my mobile phone at 8:30PM to give me a 'free trip'. The auto-bot asked if I was over 18, US citizen, and had a credit card. Awesome! You're eligible. I was so unexcited...

So I held the line to talk to someone. I asked for the name of the business and told him they had violated the TCPA. He replied with some insults and slurs.

I made a report. Now the offending company is going to pay me $500 to retract my complaint.

So, my advice is if you get these dumb calls when you're not interested in what is on the tube or punching rivets on your homebuild... take 'em around the block for fun (and maybe profit)

(Cue up the usual cadre to call me an ass)

Oh yeah, I received that one around 10 times by now.

I want a number that costs someone $5 to make a call to, with the option for me to refund it later for people I actually wanted to talk to.
When you find one, let me know.

Did you end up having to sue them to get the money?

Quite the reverse... they will have to sue me for compliance to the contract if I don't take down the review.

It's beautiful. My response to that suit will be that they did not pay.

I'll update when the check arrives.

Quite the reverse... they will have to sue me for compliance to the contract if I don't take down the review.

It's beautiful. My response to that suit will be that they did not pay.

I'll update when the check arrives.
What review? With all the BS fake calls I get, $500 now and then might be kinda nice.

If you post your number here, we all promise to put it on our do not call list.

I have a VOIP number that I never use and have never given out. It was silent for years. Then suddenly, I started getting these calls, no message hang up. I have no idea how I got on some list.

Last edited:
We got a landline because it was free with the cable and internet. We don't even answer it but it takes all the robocall abuse and leaves our cell phones alone. I think the telemarketers use the phone associated with the address.

I got that call this morning on my work phone. I've probably gotten that same call 20 times on my work, home, and cell phone.

If it were up to me all telemarketing would be illegal without the necessity of being on a do not call list. I would also make door-to-door sales/solicitations, junk mail, door hangers, flyers under windshield wipers and other such garbage all illegal.

If it were up to me all telemarketing would be illegal without the necessity of being on a do not call list. I would also make door-to-door sales/solicitations, junk mail, door hangers, flyers under windshield wipers and other such garbage all illegal.

The problem is enforcing it. They know that nobody will enforce it.

The problem is enforcing it. They know that nobody will enforce it.

I disagree. If all of that were illegal and someone was in my neighborhood soliciting, hanging flyers, etc., I would drop a dime in a heartbeat. Then if the cops failed to follow up on my complaint, I would call again and again. Same with telemarketers, I would report every call. Right now, they can claim that their calling a number on the do not call list was a honest mistake but if telemarketing was 100% illegal then they shouldn't make these calls at all.

Just out of curiosity, do any of you that get an inordinate number of these calls have a Magic Jack?

I got a Magic Jack a couple of years ago, and the NEXT DAMN DAY I started getting a bunch of these calls. I just assumed it was a coincidence.

Now, I use my cell for everything and the Magic Jack number, which is connected to an answering machine, records 10-15 crank calls, or hang-ups daily. It's almost amusing. About half of them just say "hello ... hello" and then hang up.

I disagree. If all of that were illegal and someone was in my neighborhood soliciting, hanging flyers, etc., I would drop a dime in a heartbeat. Then if the cops failed to follow up on my complaint, I would call again and again. Same with telemarketers, I would report every call. Right now, they can claim that their calling a number on the do not call list was a honest mistake but if telemarketing was 100% illegal then they shouldn't make these calls at all.

Telemarketing is what I was referring to specifically. Yes, posting illegal flyers in a neighborhood is going to go poorly.

Basically there's very little enforcement of telemarketing calls that are in violation of the law. Even if they made them 100% illegal, what would the punishment be? And what's the probability of getting caught? Then, what's to prevent foreign countries (who aren't subject to our laws) from calling you? I actually got a call from Egypt the other day. It was probably a telemarketer.

My experience parallels that of others. Sometimes as many as a dozen calls a day. I never answer unknown numbers. Many of them are spoofed and not the true number they're calling from. If the call is important they can leave a voice mail. Other than that, the spammers and con artists can go to hell. I ain't gonna play their game.

I have been getting lots of them lately. All with local area codes as that makes it more likely for you to pick up.

I had some hail damage on my roof about a month ago. Since that day, I have received numerous calls from contractors who address me by name. Finding the name based on the property record is easy enough, I wonder where they purchase my cell number (which is in a remote area code with a billing address 1/2 way across the country).

The numbers I primarily use require a Press 1 for Ron prompt which staves off most of the drek.
Still crap gets through. I just refuse to answer any calls unless I recognize the caller. If it's important, they'll leave a message.

Back