Warning - do not try this at home.

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Light and Sporty Guy
Whatever you do, do not turn 64 1/2

The ****ing Medicare supplement spammers will call and call and call. 10 time a day - or more. Most of the time they don't even seem to be live people just the ****ing recordings.

Do not call registry? Like they care. Their records show that you will turn 65 in less than 6 months.

**** their records.

I don't answer the phone anymore unless I recognize the caller. The do not call list and NoMoRobo worked for a long time, but now the scamsters just fake the caller ID (surprised it took this line, there is ZERO security in that, the number is inserted by the billing entity when the call is originated.

The fargin iceholes hit up my cell now, too.

I live in State 'A'. My cell phone's number is from State 'B', far away. I get lots of calls from State 'B's area code; 100% are spam/scam/robos, and are not answered.

A legit caller would leave a message. These cretins never do.

Give up your land line.
And get a Magic Jack - unless a cell phone is all you need. Don't give out the phone number to anyone but family members or trusted contacts - and don't
answer the phone unless you know who is calling, and want to talk to them.

Dave

I have VOIP with fios, we use Nomorobo. Works great, but the phone rings once before the call is caught, that's still a little aggravating.

Give up your land line.

We've decided to do that.

It will save us about $480/yr. And at least half the calls we were getting were sales calls.

We alerted our FaceBook friends about it a couple weeks ago. We have to admit we may miss some important calls during the transition, but think it will be worth it in the end.

The do not call list is a joke. There are limits on freedom-of-speech, and telemarketing should be part of those limits. I read much of it comes from other countries. If it is true, shut down their phone lines into the USA until they put a stop to it.

The phone companies make big money on these calls and fight attempts for systems that block them.

I got rid of the land line a couple years ago. Hardly ever used it.

When I get spam calls I just put the phone down next to the Tv or radio and let that do the talking.

And get a Magic Jack - unless a cell phone is all you need. Don't give out the phone number to anyone but family members or trusted contacts - and don't
answer the phone unless you know who is calling, and want to talk to them.

Dave

A Google Voice number is even cheaper. Mine is forwarded to my cell, but if it was getting abused I'd just turn off the forward. It'll let you listen to someone leaving a message and break in if you actually wanted to talk to that person.

Just start answering your phone with "Internal revenue service, how may I direct your call?"

True story. (can it be? A true story from Ravioli?)

I had a telemarketing firm call my mobile phone at 8:30PM to give me a 'free trip'. The auto-bot asked if I was over 18, US citizen, and had a credit card. Awesome! You're eligible. I was so unexcited...

So I held the line to talk to someone. I asked for the name of the business and told him they had violated the TCPA. He replied with some insults and slurs.

I made a report. Now the offending company is going to pay me $500 to retract my complaint.

So, my advice is if you get these dumb calls when you're not interested in what is on the tube or punching rivets on your homebuild... take 'em around the block for fun (and maybe profit)

(Cue up the usual cadre to call me an ass)

I had a telemarketing firm call my mobile phone at 8:30PM to give me a 'free trip'. The auto-bot asked if I was over 18, US citizen, and had a credit card. Awesome! You're eligible. I was so unexcited...

So I held the line to talk to someone. I asked for the name of the business and told him they had violated the TCPA. He replied with some insults and slurs.

I made a report. Now the offending company is going to pay me $500 to retract my complaint.

So, my advice is if you get these dumb calls when you're not interested in what is on the tube or punching rivets on your homebuild... take 'em around the block for fun (and maybe profit)

Well done!

I wish you can sign up for a phone number, where people not on your contact list have to pay-per-minute to talk to you (unless you specifically reverse it afterwards).

But you otherwise call me, it'll cost you $5 per minute.

I know 1-900 numbers died, but I could care less about making money of it - the phone carrier can just keep all of it. Will give them more of an incentive to support this.

You're an ass.

I'm really curious as to whether you get paid. Let us know if you do.

Back