Unusual and Rare Avionics

thesmug

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
thesmug
I just bought a very nice R182 and it has a few open spots for instruments where there used to be a stormscope and probably an ADF. The stormscope antenna is still on the plane and I'm considering putting in an ADF because I actually quite like using them during approaches, but I am also very interested in having "weird" equipment installed. I'm getting an AOA indicator but that's going to go on top of the panel.
What unusual or historical (nearly obsolete) avionics might be interesting to install, if only to look cool? I understand why I would never use any of those kinds of avionics but this is really just for fun and I get that it's a waste of a few pounds of useful load, money, etc...
I personally think it would be really cool to be able to use CPDLC but I really seriously doubt there's any way I'd be able to get that in my plane.

I'd take an old Narco Superhomer or Omnigator, gut it (to reduce weight), and clean up the face as much as possible.
weir2.jpg
Be even more impressive if you've got a glass panel next to it.

I've got the control panel for an F-89 Scorpion Fire Warning system....pretty impressive if you can find one, but, again, I'd want to gut it to reduce its weight.

Fire warning system - F-89 Scorpion2.jpg

Ron Wanttaja

I had this thing (I don't know where I got it) that was a small electronic component with four wires coming out of it (about the size of a C cell) and the only writing on it said "CRITICAL SAFETY COMPONENT." I used to leave it on the ground under planes while others were preflighting.

39168fb4b69b0bd34516b757ad492751.jpg

What you need is a CRM-114 discriminator.

Auto destruct test?!
And if the test works?
What if you change your mind?

Last edited:
Right now cpdlc is about useless in the contiguous us. You can get clearances on the ground and a few centers are using it to notify you of freq changes and that’s about it. Now, out where you would be using hf it’s great.

bendix_navcom.jpg

In today's money, that's $21,500 for a 360-channel com transceiver, 100-channel nav receiver, VOR/LOC/GS head and marker beacon receiver. And you have to find somewhere to put those heavy remote power supplies.

Something that is still useable but has "wow, you have one of those that works" value would be a KNS-80 RNAV unit.

I just bought a very nice R182 and it has a few open spots for instruments where there used to be a stormscope and probably an ADF. The stormscope antenna is still on the plane and I'm considering putting in an ADF because I actually quite like using them during approaches, but I am also very interested in having "weird" equipment installed. I'm getting an AOA indicator but that's going to go on top of the panel.
What unusual or historical (nearly obsolete) avionics might be interesting to install, if only to look cool? I understand why I would never use any of those kinds of avionics but this is really just for fun and I get that it's a waste of a few pounds of useful load, money, etc...
I personally think it would be really cool to be able to use CPDLC but I really seriously doubt there's any way I'd be able to get that in my plane.

Are you an avionics installer?

Got money to burn on avionics shop labor?

If you're willing to pay the cost of labor for its replacement, you can have my KNS-80 for free. Heck, I'll throw in an ADF too sitting in a box somewhere for the past decade. Was working when removed.

If you're willing to pay the cost of labor for its replacement, you can have my KNS-80 for free. Heck, I'll throw in an ADF too sitting in a box somewhere for the past decade. Was working when removed.

I wouldn’t want to take something working out of your plane, but I’ll happily take the ADF!

I've searched high and low for a picture of an ASN-31 Doppler/INS panel labeled "ERECTION CONTROLLER" but no joy.

Nauga,
redacted upon further reflection

APX-72 transponder with an authentic chem trail switch.

A63C5985-C6A6-4F0F-826A-4F2E6F105450.jpeg

I am sure you will find some ADF receivers cheap enough.

I miss my VLF/Omega system...

Like this? I have a few thousand hours using the Global series II. No database, one flight plan and a total of 9 waypoints, all lat/long.

GNS500A_2.jpg

Um…where else would I get that quote? I’m not quite so sharp as to script such folksy eloquence on my own.

Now I have "Blazing Saddles" quotes stuck in my head. "...prettier than a 20 dollar..."

Honest question, when were those the envy of the community hangar?

A-4 radar display. One of these days I’ll get around to installing it in my plane.

B4B2C2A9-FE5D-49A5-8EC1-4F0E6191E2FA.jpeg

Extra points to the first person to ID this .... :)

nordan.png

Always debated adding a tacan, used to see some not too crazy ones come up on fleabay from time to time.

Back