United Adding Supersonic Flights...

You took an already sensational article/headline and made it WAY more sensational.

Agreement to buy is about 100 steps away from "Adding supersonic flights"

Still in the "TomorrowLand" category at this point. Who knows how it'll play out?

I do think that we'll see airlines flying SST at some point in the future. Just don't know how far off that future might be. We've been seeing the likes of Bezos, Branson, Musk, etc. making the impossible, possible over the past decade or two. It's getting harder and harder to bet against it.

Didn't click the link. But I do know someone flying United to PHX soon and they already have a ticket. Can they upgrade to a supersonic flight?

Isn't this the same airline that won't have any GHG emissions by 2050? :rolleyes:

My wife the United flight attendant and her first reaction to the news was “great now they can make EWR-LHR a turn rather than a nice layover” I just started laughing.

With United, the speed increase will be offset by the departure delay and waiting for your misplaced luggage to arrive on a later flight.

Reminds me of a Geraldine Jones quote in the airport at luggage claims office:

"If you can fly this plane 600 miles an hour in the dark and find Los Angeles ... you can find my bags!" :rolleyes2:

Put that in your wallet next to this...

The airline has a list of 90,002 persons who hold reservations for the flights--to the moon.

Pan Am insists its moon-flight reservations program, established in 1968, is not a publicity stunt. Officials point to the airline’s involvement in a host of space-related activities which make it a natural to fly the first tourists to the moon.

“For 30 years or more, we have been involved as a contractor at Cape Kennedy,” says James A. Arey, a Pan Am spokesman. “We provide telemetry support, all kinds of engineering support, communications support and we even park the Boeing 747 which brings back the space shuttle to the cape.”

“Flying people to the moon would be normal commercial endeavor. . . . Commercial flights to the moon are going to happen. They might not happen next year, they might not happen in five years--but they will happen.”

deliveryService

Maybe, in a few decades, we'll be back to where we were in the 1970s...

Exactly my thought with all of this. I think the difference now will be the reduction in noise and the sonic boom vs the Concorde. But I’ve laughed at the articles pointing out the Boom goes Mach 1.7, which is slower than the Concorde’s 2.0.

But I’ve laughed at the articles pointing out the Boom goes Mach 1.7, which is slower than the Concorde’s 2.0.
Boom and other recent supersonic developers intend to be capable of and certified for ~1.6+M over CONUS, which is considerably faster than Concorde over the same routes.

Nauga,
and his N-wave

My wife the United flight attendant and her first reaction to the news was “great now they can make EWR-LHR a turn rather than a nice layover” I just started laughing.

Already a good meme going on about that. I don't actually know how to find memes autonomously though so I can't share.....but it's on my phone I swear :)

Already a good meme going on about that. I don't actually know how to find memes autonomously though so I can't share.....but it's on my phone I swear :)

Lol. They should show up soon enough. Hold it. They’re on your phone!!! You can do it. I’m sure, I think. Someone tell him how to do it

I missed the first flight date. I’m sure it was because I tend to quickly peruse when I’m reading rather than catch all the details.

Boom and other recent supersonic developers intend to be capable of and certified for ~1.6+M over CONUS, which is considerably faster than Concorde over the same routes.

Nauga,
and his N-wave

That's a good point, and probably the distinction I was missing. As I recall the Concorde had to go subsonic over CONUS, but was known for the M2.0 cruise over water. I remember seeing the M1.6-1.7 number, but that would be much faster over land. I still think they should at least be able to do 2.0+ over water to match/beat the Concorde, although there would be the question of whether the airlines would want to make that speed distinction and efficiency distinction between the routes.

Yeah, they’re going to have to buy a lot of carbon offsets to break the sound barrier with “zero” emissions.
Nope. It will be a super sonic electric airliner.

Just waiting for a breakthrough in long-extension-cord-weight-reduction technology.
Isn't this the same airline that won't have any GHG emissions by 2050? :rolleyes:

Yeah, they’re going to have to buy a lot of carbon offsets to break the sound barrier with “zero” emissions.

Nope. It will be a super sonic electric airliner.
Supposed to be using renewable jet fuel. It is pretty much the same as bio-diesel. The stuff exists, it works, it's been flown in jets at altitude, but I don't think there is enough of it to fuel more than a couple of flights at this time.

Supposed to be using renewable jet fuel. It is pretty much the same as bio-diesel. The stuff exists, it works, it's been flown in jets at altitude, but I don't think there is enough of it to fuel more than a couple of flights at this time.

And DAC (which of course doesn't use any energy). Regardless, I don't see how they're going to be successful with this unless they intend to become a lot smaller and tailor to those that don't mind spending 20% - 30% more* for a ticket to feel good...

* just a swag but probably conservative...

United ordered Concordes too. I won’t be holding my breath just yet.

Boom seems to be very good at generating press to keep investors happ but is far behind on delivery commitments they have been making for years now. There is also the problem that their business model requires the ban on supersonic flight over the US to be lifted which has been another example of a-lot of talk and promises on their end with no actual movement forward. It’s another company where I will believe it when I see it.

Can someone clue me in to how to get a job taking large quantities of other people's money and essentially have no responsibility to ever realistically deliver a product?

invent a new plane that flies faster, carries more and costs less. Take pre orders.

Can someone clue me in to how to get a job taking large quantities of other people's money and essentially have no responsibility to ever realistically deliver a product?

You need to talk to Elon Musk, he is the "Master"!

You need to talk to Elon Musk, he is the "Master"!

Musk isn't the best example to use. While he certainly knows how to run his mouth, but he's also delivered on some big things not many were giving a chance for success.

United should make some kind of achievable commitment to mix in with their clearly unachievable promises. Then they can point to the achievements to take attention away from the failed initiatives.

For example:

By the year 2035, we will:
1. Be zero emissions
2. Fly supersonic on domestic routes
3. Find iamtheari's suitcase

Then, in 2035, they can make a big deal out of having found my suitcase and nobody will even notice that they are still going slow on dead dinosaurs.

I heard the super sonic United will be zero emissions by using wind power. A plane going that fast would make a lot of energy from a wind mill hanging on the fuselage.

So you save 2? Hours NYC-LHR to wait in the massive immigrations queue? And then take the same Heathrow Express to Central London to get a Black Cab that’s stuck in traffic?

This is a viable business?

Cheers

Sort of funny I take the tube from the airport to central London and always seem to arrive at my location when others have Heathrow expressed and cabbed or got back on the tube...sure I am cheep but At one tenth of the price it works for me...I would non rev if seats are available but probably just get on a direct flight from Houston where we live and save time getting there with no connections.

Sure seems like I did that. But actually we did have a short layover. One of the rare daylight international flights.

Back