UNFAIR FAA PRACTICES-PTSD-PLEASE READ

@Stan Cooper

Could be, and that privacy rule is part of the reason the feds had so much trouble with eVerify. It prevented the agencies from comparing data and cleaning it up.
But I digress. All I know, going back to when I started getting my license in late 2009, the AME and the CFII were very specific that if I have military service and ever went to the VA; the FAA has the right to match and verify against the VA. It may be as simple as the FAA has historically been unable technically or administratively to perform the verification until now; or the FAA may have been notified and never decided to prosecute; or the FAA found a loop hole around the fishing expeditions; or the FAA broke the law.
Until the back story is published, no way to know.

Tim
I do know that after Operation Safe Pilot in 2005, there were a number of changes, but the privacy act hasn't changed nor have the final guidance rules. I guess we'll have to wait and see if the agencies published the required Federal Register notices. If not, the defense lawyers have a pretty good case.

I do know that after Operation Safe Pilot in 2005, there were a number of changes, but the privacy act hasn't changed nor have the final guidance rules. I guess we'll have to wait and see if the agencies published the required Federal Register notices. If not, the defense lawyers have a pretty good case.

You are making the assumption it was a fishing expedition. Need more information, before that assumption can be made.

Tim

I'm ordinarily not a betting man, but in this case I'd be willing to bet these four airline pilots were identified through a fishing expedition match between the VA disability benefits system of records and the FAA medical certification system of records. IOW, I don't believe they were under investigation as individuals before the fishing expedition.

We shall see how this plays out.

Um, because for many of us, it's our certificate number, as well!

I changed that years ago, you might want to also, it's pretty easy and will prevent your ss number from getting into hands it shouldn't. That said, I still think you need to give your SS number to the FAA to be a pilot.

Um, because for many of us, it's our certificate number, as well!
Really? Mine isn't. The FAA changed mine to a different number without being requested to do so when they gave me the plastic license.

Still, it's asked of you the IARCA and the 8710-1 before that (though I think giving it was optional).

Really? Mine isn't. The FAA changed mine to a different number without being requested to do so when they gave me the plastic license.

Still, it's asked of you the IARCA and the 8710-1 before that (though I think giving it was optional).

It's optional. FAA does not need your SSN for anything.

IACRA says it's optional. You also are specifically excused from providing it if you don't have one (obviously).

IACRA says it's optional. You also are specifically excused from providing it if you don't have one (obviously).

Probably because it takes them about 5 minutes to get it if they want it. My original ticket used my ss# as the id number. I got the notification to change to an FAA generated one years ago and did so, I'm thinking my ss# is still associated with my name in the FAA files.

Probably because it takes them about 5 minutes to get it if they want it. My original ticket used my ss# as the id number. I got the notification to change to an FAA generated one years ago and did so, I'm thinking my ss# is still associated with my name in the FAA files.

How/where can they get it? Assuming you never got the ss# based FAA number?

I thought that was the case - that the FAA did it automatically at some point. But the FAA website still has a way of changing it, indicating that, "If your certificate uses your SSN as the certificate number we will continue to issue you that number unless you request a unique number."

So I guess if you have not obtained a new certificate or rating (not simply a replacement paper or plastic for a certificate you already had) you might still have it with your SS#.

No, I think that text is left over from the old days. They gave me a non-SSN number on a certificate replacement (it might have been the initial plastic, or it may have been a subsequent address change). I certainly never asked for the change.

I think you are correct, but let's ask.

Anyone, particularly @Kenny Phillips since you mentioned it, do you or do you know anyone who has a current (plastic, since the paper ones are no longer valid) pilot certificate with a SS#?

I think you are correct, but let's ask.

Anyone, particularly @Kenny Phillips since you mentioned it, do you or do you know anyone who has a current (plastic, since the paper ones are no longer valid) pilot certificate with a SS#?
Mine is the post-9/11 plastic version (I always thought it odd that it has no pictures, except of the Wright brothers!) and it has my SSN. I've not gotten a new rating since it was issued, that will be getting fixed. Ultimately, I don't care if it's on the ticket now, though I'll request that it not be when I upgrade. My driver's license and concealed carry license are already associated with it, and the FAA already has it.

How/where can they get it? Assuming you never got the ss# based FAA number?

I did a search for an old friend I lost track of a few months back and a reporting service popped up with the person's history including banks they had done business with, addresses, names they had used and other info. For some amount of money I could have found even more info about this person. There was more than enough info for free so I didn't pay the fee, nor was I interested in that much info on the person, but there was certainly enough information to clearly identify someone. You are focused on the SS # which back in 1989 when I first got my cert I was required to give, so FAA has it as I'm sure they is true for at least half the airmen active today.

Beyond that they have your name, address, town and date of birth, which is more than enough information to match you as a pilot with any claims you may have made for disability anywhere. You signed a release allowing them to search for disqualifying information as a condition for them clearing you medically to fly. Personally I've disclosed everything about me on the forms, so I don't sweat it. As long as you have done the same you shouldn't sweat it either.

Mine is the post-9/11 plastic version (I always thought it odd that it has no pictures, except of the Wright brothers!) and it has my SSN. I've not gotten a new rating since it was issued, that will be getting fixed. Ultimately, I don't care if it's on the ticket now, though I'll request that it not be when I upgrade. My driver's license and concealed carry license are already associated with it, and the FAA already has it.
Thanks for clearing that up.

I think the takeaway from this thread (and most threads of a medical nature) is that the FAA are a bunch of crooks, content to ruin careers not in the name of safety but rather in the name of being able to say they do something of value to society.

They do not.

There is not one valuable quality to the FAA. They exist purely to make things difficult for American citizens. Their “doctors” know nothing of safe medical practices, their standards folk know nothing of what would constitute an acceptable standard, and their ATC services are mostly unnecessary for 90% of aviators, and can’t be “centralized” because the FAA has no skill or qualifications to modernize anything without mandating equipment that they’ll never know how to use appropriately (ADS-B).

When you beat them, you’ll still lose because it costs so much to prove their incompetence.

They are the epitome of “government agency.”

I just found out about this ptsd hoopla with the faa looking into va medical records. I own an airplane and I’m commercially rated for SEL and Rotorcraft. Lots of money spent. I won’t spend more. I’m turning in my license and medical and selling the airplane. Good riddance

I just found out about this ptsd hoopla with the faa looking into va medical records. I own an airplane and I’m commercially rated for SEL and Rotorcraft. Lots of money spent. I won’t spend more. I’m turning in my license and medical and selling the airplane. Good riddance
Bye bye.

I'll give you three sheep and a goat for the plane.

First of all I want to just say I plan on contacting that individual that was suggested to the OP. I have a situation that is similar to the OPs but slightly differnt

I'm an army aviator (uh60 blackhawk pilot) I have been on flying status since 2009 and started flight school in 2014 after my first deployment to Afghanistan in 2011 I was diagnosed with a mild case of PTSD. (It did not exceed 4 sessions of counseling, I did not receive meds, and I DO NOT claim it as any disability.) The army has cleared me to fly and said I was good to fly. I currently posses a valid flight physical from thr army. No issues with them. I am trying to get things ready to fly civilian and need my class 1 civilian for the job I am wanting to apply for. I have not spent any money and have not been seen by a civilian doctor to get my physical done. With everything I have just said is it necessary for me to disclose my measley PTSD that happened 7 years ago on my civilian flight physical?

I have no issues. I have no nightmares, no panic attacks, no flash backs, nothing I am fine. What would you do if you were me because I'm worried (I want to be honest during my exam) that this will be a giant pain in the a$$ for nothing. I'm good to fly for the army so I don't see why I wouldn't be good to fly for civilian.

Thoughts?

First of all I want to just say I plan on contacting that individual that was suggested to the OP. I have a situation that is similar to the OPs but slightly differnt

I'm an army aviator (uh60 blackhawk pilot) I have been on flying status since 2009 and started flight school in 2014 after my first deployment to Afghanistan in 2011 I was diagnosed with a mild case of PTSD. (It did not exceed 4 sessions of counseling, I did not receive meds, and I DO NOT claim it as any disability.) The army has cleared me to fly and said I was good to fly. I currently posses a valid flight physical from thr army. No issues with them. I am trying to get things ready to fly civilian and need my class 1 civilian for the job I am wanting to apply for. I have not spent any money and have not been seen by a civilian doctor to get my physical done. With everything I have just said is it necessary for me to disclose my measley PTSD that happened 7 years ago on my civilian flight physical?

I have no issues. I have no nightmares, no panic attacks, no flash backs, nothing I am fine. What would you do if you were me because I'm worried (I want to be honest during my exam) that this will be a giant pain in the a$$ for nothing. I'm good to fly for the army so I don't see why I wouldn't be good to fly for civilian.

Thoughts?

I'm thinking that not disclosing it could be a huge problem if the FAA ever found out; it would be lying on the form. What I would do, definitely contact that individual and send him my records for an evaluation.

I'm thinking that not disclosing it could be a huge problem if the FAA ever found out; it would be lying on the form. What I would do, definitely contact that individual and send him my records for an evaluation.

I feel better not lying in the form. I'll do it the legal way. I contacted the recommended individual via email. I hope I can find some answers.

The problem with nondisclosure is that it becomes a matter of law, rather than a matter of medical evaluation. And then there is 61.153, the "good moral character" clause.

Transport airmen who have been lying about this have cause for concern.

100% agree with those who have said to not try to deal with the FAA on your own. If I had known then what I know now, I would have sought assistance immediately. Finally got the answers I was looking for for so very long out of an FAA-approved HIMS AME. When it comes down to it, the FAA wants to see squeaky clean VA medical records. They want you to be asymptomatic."

Courtney, Earlier I saw someone mention BasicMed as an option. I know that won't get you what you would have needed to work in ATC, but have you looked into if that would give you what you need to fly?

I’m a military veteran who’s also been a pilot since she was 16. Commercially rated multi-engine, instrument. Many many years of money & time invested in aviation. I let my medical lapse and haven’t attempted to get it in many years, knowing how the FAA views any medications or hints of problems. Now that I’m not only medically and monetarily in a much better place, I’m going to see if Dr. Chien will look at my VA records before I even try to apply for a new medical. As I’ve never been denied one, my certificates are still valid.

Regardless of how the laws have changed, medical for flying have always scrutinized anyone with any known health concern that does, or has in the past required medication or affected behavior. It’s always been the advice to make sure you can get one before changing your life around.

For those of us who have had them before our lives got turned upside down with our military service related issues, or other life events, it’s a hard place to be - as you’re required to be honest about your situation - and can risk losing your medical at any review. It stinks but it’s the nature of the beast.

I’m only looking for a Class 3 going forward, so I can instruct. As long as I can stay in the game, I’m happy.

For those who have some concern, but no denial, and no desire to do anything but put-put around up there, maybe check out flying under the light sport pilot category.

Forewarned is forearmed.

The problem with nondisclosure is that it becomes a matter of law, rather than a matter of medical evaluation. And then there is 61.153, the "good moral character" clause.

Transport airmen who have been lying about this have cause for concern.

I’d rather disclose, maybe be denied, but then have a shot at a waiver or special issuance than to lie / withhold and be found guilty of lying to an official government agency and not only be denied, probably forever, but also risk fine and jail time... not worth the risk... just saying.

@C130Aviatrix, how long ago was your last medical valid? If since July 2006, you may be eligible to fly (and instruct) under BasicMed. The fact that you've never been denied is even better in that respect, since a denial closes off BasicMed in the same way as Light Sport. But it depends on how many years is "many".

Expired in 2003. Been watching the medical reforms closely for the last few years - I didn’t even qualify for Basic Med when it first came into play. I actually have to be granted one at this time. Thanks though.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back