Under $30k airplane

The Kitfox is the most popular and pricey Avid Flyer clone, but there are others out there (including the Avid Flyer) that will be a few bucks less.

If you don't want an auto engine, you don't want a two stroke either.

Wittman Tailwind. Quite inexpensive, though most look like they were constructed by a high school shop class. The good ones go fast.

Deal of the century. I'd grab that up like it was ice in the Sinai.

Does seem pretty cool and with plenty of horsepower. One thing I don't understand is why anyone would use a 4 into 1 pipe on such a low speed engine, Tri-Y is much more effective.

Does seem pretty cool and with plenty of horsepower. One thing I don't understand is why anyone would use a 4 into 1 pipe on such a low speed engine, Tri-Y is much more effective.

Not seeing any cabin heat on the hiperbipe

As I read the mission, a Sonex would be ideal (Jim suggested it first, but I agree). I would take one with AeroVee too, for Texas. There's one for sale in Garland, 145 TTAE. In your place I'd check it out.

Among the high wing, I'd take RANS S-7 with something like 500 hours on a 912.

I would not say "no" to a Luscombe 8F. The problem with those, for me, is to keep a C-85 running. But you're more embedded into aviation than I am, so what the heck, might as well.

A 140 has my vote.. A great little airplane that will provide a ton of fun..

Wittman Tailwind. Quite inexpensive, though most look like they were constructed by a high school shop class. The good ones go fast.

This, they are pretty fast too. 150kts on an O-235 is pretty impressive if you ask me. Fun little airplanes, grandpa had one for quite awhile.

My preference would be in this order:

Cessna 170, so I can take the wife and Kiddo.
Taylorcraft,
Champ

This, they are pretty fast too. 150kts on an O-235 is pretty impressive if you ask me. Fun little airplanes, grandpa had one for quite awhile.

I admit to only a demo ride in one but it's high wing loading, and fairly short coupled. Needs to be on the 'get training in type' list before going out and flogging it. Also, I think the OP just wants to bore holes. The W-8 and W-10 seem to be more as a go-somewhere plane with good cruise speed.

I recommend a Luscombe (many are LSA qualified), which IMO are way undervalued. Also the homebuilt Kitfox series is fast, safe & numerous. I have one of each.

Skot

I recommend a Luscombe (many are LSA qualified), which IMO are way undervalued. Also the homebuilt Kitfox series is fast, safe & numerous. I have one of each.

Skot

My friend is selling the Luscombe 8A I was flying (see my YT channel) for $18k or so with a fresh annual. There is also a nice 8E on the same field, 04FA, for $23k.

Luscombe F model. 90 HP. Very nice little airplane, fun to fly, moves along at over 100 mph, 30 g should buy you a pretty nice one.

The 65 HP Luscombe is NOT a performer like the 90. Two different airplanes when flying them. 65 HP is boring.

A Rans S7 would not be affordable for 30 grand. They run 55-70 grand in good shape with 500 hrs. Or so. VERY nice airplane.

The 65 HP Luscombe is NOT a performer like the 90. Two different airplanes when flying them. 65 HP is boring.

I would not call any aerobatic rated airplane "boring", whether it has 65 HP or no engine at all.

Back