Under $30k airplane

I would not call any aerobatic rated airplane "boring", whether it has 65 HP or no engine at all.

Maybe not boring, but it can be annoying taking forever to climb to an altitude where you have enough energy to give up to do some aerobatics.

Maybe not boring, but it can be annoying taking forever to climb to an altitude where you have enough energy to give up to do some aerobatics.

Yup, that blazing 300 - 400 fpm climb one-up.

Didn't go through the whole thread.

Anybody throw out a Tri-pacer?

Either that or an original PA-20.

There are some PA22's out there running on Univair STC-SA45RM tailwheel conversion, but I don't know what they cost.

They're called PA22/20's

images

There are some PA22's out there running on Univair STC-SA45RM tailwheel conversion, but I don't know what they cost.

They're called PA22/20's

images

Yep, they're pretty much the same thing and from what I see sell for the same price for similar condition. That looks like the one over at N Perry.

Yep, they're pretty much the same thing and from what I see sell for the same price for similar condition. That looks like the one over at N Perry.

I've heard them referred to as "a poor man's 172".

They have pretty good speed and load lift for what they are.

I've heard them referred to as "a poor man's 172".

They have pretty good speed and load lift for what they are.

With the O-320 they're not bad. There was a guy out in Washington who had a 'Super Pacer' he had built extending the fuselage, putting PA-18 wings on it and a IIRC an IO-540 on it.

First of all, I'd prefer a PA-16 Clipper-because it has a stick, rather than a Pacer. Have you considered a Thorp T18?

A Rans S7 would not be affordable for 30 grand. They run 55-70 grand in good shape with 500 hrs. Or so. VERY nice airplane.

When I shopped for them, S-7s had about the same spread as Sonexes. Granted they are guaranteed to be originally more expensive due to the 912 engine, but it's possible to find workable examples at about $30k. It's true that the bulk of the either come with a higher sticker. But at least cheap S-7 had decent instruments. A $30k Sonex usually means that monobloc engine/PFD thingie with cash register membrane buttons, while S-7 take hit at engine time, which I preferred.

BTW, at one point I looked at a $27k Bonanza. I think it would fly great, if you don't mind a Bo with E-185 engine. It had a hydraulic prop. Deal of a century, really. Unfortunately, it had a bench seat and I was unable to fit into it. My knee came right against the mixture knob.

Back