TruTrack STC expanded

Friend of mine just got one installed in his 76 177B, and loves it

The Aspen/TruTrack vs Garmin cage death match has begun. :)

Garmin is getting a slow start in the certification process , so TT wins on speed. TT has less functionality, Garmin wins function. TT is cheaper unless you already getting G5s, but TT requires rs232 ports which may not be available for some.

It’s a good match.

Garmin is getting a slow start in the certification process , so TT wins on speed. TT has less functionality, Garmin wins function. TT is cheaper unless you already getting G5s, but TT requires rs232 ports which may not be available for some.

It’s a good match.

TruTrak doesn't require a dealer installation, and should take about 2/3 as much time as garmin. The TruTrak is a lot simpler mechanical interface and no freaking rigging of autopilot control cables as everything uses rods.

It’s a good match.

Garmin's autopilot can't win on function if they don't get off their tush and certify it for your plane. Their "playing hard to get" act is now tiresome if you own anything other than the correct model 172 or 182.

Garmin's autopilot can't win on function if they don't get off their tush and certify it for your plane. Their "playing hard to get" act is now tiresome if you own anything other than the correct model 172 or 182.

I doubt they’re doing that on purpose. Just the slow as molasses certification process plodding along.

They may also want some field time on those fancy new servos to make sure there’s not some unforeseen problem with them lurking. The competition does have more flight time on their mechanical components in the exp world.

A year from now we’ll all wonder why people ever paid S-TEC $20,000 for an A/P designed in the 80s. :)

Genesys/S-Tec are being very smart with the new 3100. I'm tempted.

Given that I'm in the G5/GTN650/GTX345 panel camp I'm really hoping to see the GFC500 add the PA30 to its AML, but if it doesn't, TruTrak is my backup... as of now. Things will keep changing for the next few years.

Last night I I flew in mild IMC, controlling my GTN 650 with my iPad through my FS510. My old Century III autopilot tracked all the nav course changes, held altitude, flew headings when I was vectored, and tracked the inbound course of RNAV approach pretty much flawlessly. As much as I want a new, modern, autopilot, with all the benefits that it brings, I sure don't need one. I'll wait until the time is right and the choice is clear.

so the options right now are...

Aspen + TruTrack
Garmin G5 + GFC 500
SkyView

Bendix king announced a digital AP and S-Tec 3100 mentioned above. things are getting interesting

so the options right now are...

Aspen + TruTrack
Garmin G5 + GFC 500
SkyView

Bendix king announced a digital AP and S-Tec 3100 mentioned above. things are getting interesting

Those options are only for small selection of aircraft and not available to most of us.
Depending on the aircraft...all the options above won’t be available till 2020 and beyond.

Those options are only for small selection of aircraft and not available to most of us.
Depending on the aircraft...all the options above won’t be available till 2020 and beyond.
give it a few months....they will be soon.

$17,000 uninstalled and you “get” to keep your steam gauges?

DOA. Sorry, but it is.

And for the few and the proud who want to pay that, or have to due to the order different aircraft are approved for them all, and can’t wait...

Here’s hoping Aspen will drive the thing.

But I’m game, what do you think is “smart” about that price, other than I see they’re doing trade in deals (undisclosed amount) on older S-Tec APs... which will get them some sales.

Huh? You kidding?

The whole strategy here seems to be "If you don't want to wait, and want to install something RIGHT NOW, we'll give you a little price break..."

This is not a competitive offering. Like Aspen, I think S-TEC is in BIG trouble. Nothing tempting here at all except an alternative for some to waiting (which I don't mind doing) for the next gen low cost APs to be rolled out for everyone's airplanes.

for $25K I'll get a complete two panel glass cockpit, with comm radio, autopilot, transponder, and a bunch of other USB WIFI gismos and a smoke'n deal with Dynon. IMHO that's the deal breaker that will end up killing the establishment.

for $25K I'll get a complete two panel glass cockpit, with comm radio, autopilot, transponder, and a bunch of other USB WIFI gismos and a smoke'n deal with Dynon. IMHO that's the deal breaker that will end up killing the establishment.

Don’t forget the separate IFR capable navigator is required: IFD, GNS, GTN.

Don’t forget the separate IFR capable navigator is required: IFD, GNS, GTN.
yup.....:D

dynon-hdx-barron-panel.jpg

Huh? You kidding?

The whole strategy here seems to be "If you don't want to wait, and want to install something RIGHT NOW, we'll give you a little price break..."

This is not a competitive offering. Like Aspen, I think S-TEC is in BIG trouble. Nothing tempting here at all except an alternative for some to waiting (which I don't mind doing) for the next gen low cost APs to be rolled out for everyone's airplanes.

b/w is Century still in business? if yes, they will be out soon I suppose

Back