Trouble climbing above 3,500

RalphT

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
SkyFlorida
I bought a Citabria 7ECA a few months ago and had a thorough prebuy inspection. The plane flies wonderfully, just like Citabrias that I've flown for many years in my youth.

Expect for one problem. I can't get it to climb higher than 3,500. I live in Florida and the days are hot, but I would expect a much higher ceiling. It has the Lycoming O-235 engine with a factory rebuild two years ago.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Rich mixture? Have you tried leaning to see if you can get more power? Are you literally down to zero rate of climb at 3500'.

Rich mixture? Have you tried leaning to see if you can get more power? Are you literally down to zero rate of climb at 3500'.

Haven't played much with the mixture since I was trying to climb. Yes, ZERO rate of climb at 3,500. In fact the other day the ceiling was around 3,100.

Are you saying it might be a mixture issue?

Please ground the plane until you find the problem.

Even with full rich mixture it should still climb well at 3,500'.

Something is seriously wrong.

I owned one in S FL and know of what I speak!

I just hope this is not a troll post.

Thanks for the feedback. Not a troll.

Listen to FastEddieB. Are you sure you're making full power? Is something restricting your intake (foreign object of some sort)? Better have an A&P look into this before flying again.

Ralph, it's definitely much more than just a mixture issue. As Eddie said, you do not need to be flying it. Ground the airplane and have it looked at.

Curious, what's your RPM's look like during this and if you have a CHT/EGT gauge what's it reading?

I was about to ask that same question... I wonder if he has an intake restriction and is running really rich (as a result). A/B mag check OK within spec? Running on one mag might also cause a power loss that was consistent across the power band, but I dont think that extreme.

I wonder if he has an intake restriction and is running really rich (as a result).
If there was an intake issue, it should show far before reaching 3500'. I'll be following this one, I'm intrigued to hear further comments.

Maybe the altimeter's broken!

What's your static RPM? Low altitude WFO RPM in level flight? You may have a prop problem.

Though there are many possibilities, the simple answer is the engine is not making enough power (not enough fuel and/or air). The question is why. The advice given here to not fly it is sound, especially if there is an internal engine mechanical cause.

I hope it's a simple, cheap, and quick fix.

More info. My co-owner has done most of the flying at altitude and he says he leans the heck out of it, but still zero climb above 3k-3.5k. I've just received my TW endorsement, so my flying has been at pattern altitude.

The prop does need some work sanding out a rough leading edge, but I didn't know if it would have that dramatic effect on our ceiling. Also the plane has been heavy each time, two adults and full fuel.

Mag check fine. Spark plugs cleaned last week.

Last edited:
Your engine makes rated power at 2800 RPM. If the prop is too coarse you aren't getting all your power. Static RPM should be 2300+ and low altitude level cruise should net RPMs approaching redline. At least that's what I'd want to see. Much different than that indicates the wrong prop or a sick motor.

Last edited:
What's your static RPM? Low altitude WFO RPM in level flight? You may have a prop problem.

Stewartb has the right question. Check your static rpm. Lock your brakes and give it full throttle. Check your max rpm while leaned for best power on the ground. If it is less than the static rpm listed in your POH call 1-800-your-ame. Sounds like a plugged muffler to me but I dunno...

Then check your tach's calibration.

-Skip

My comment about mixture was simply a troubleshooting question that may help point To the cause, like carb., intake leaks, blockage, etc. As others suggested, would be a good idea to have your mechanic take a look at it. You are barely getting to Acro altitudes.

Your engine makes rated power at 2800 RPM. If the prop is too coarse you aren't getting all your power. Static RPM should be 2300+ and low altitude level cruise should net RPMs approaching redline. At least that's what I'd want to see. Much different than that indicates the wrong prop or a sick motor.

I agree 110%. Op, if it is as bad as you say I think you're going to find that you have a non-standard prop on the plane and it is way too coarse. I've flown an o-235 powered plane that does exactly what you describe and it was unsafe and unairworthy with that junk prop on it.

Assuming you find the wrong prop on it that then brings into question the prebuy and recent annuals. What was the reason for the new engine and did it get a different prop at the same time?

I had a early citabria with a 0200 what a dog in s fl . all day to get to 4000 .had 6 or 7 prop changes before I bought it .beautiful red white and black paint. like 10 coats . weighed it and it was over gross with me and one half fuel.

Also the plane has been heavy each time, two adults and full fuel.

A contributing factor is that you're quite likely over gross in that configuration...

But I don't think that is the primary problem.

A contributing factor is that you're quite likely over gross in that configuration...

But I don't think that is the primary problem.
W/B isn't the issue. We stay in range.

Stewartb has the right question. Check your static rpm. Lock your brakes and give it full throttle. Check your max rpm while leaned for best power on the ground. If it is less than the static rpm listed in your POH call 1-800-your-ame. Sounds like a plugged muffler to me but I dunno...

-Skip
i do not recommend doing full power run ups in a T/W with just the brakes locked. good way to put it on the nose. chain down the t/w to a good tie down or large truck.

bob

i do not recommend doing full power run ups in a T/W with just the brakes locked. good way to put it on the nose. chain down the t/w to a good tie down or large truck.

I agree with you, Bob. I was thinking of a nosedragger...

-Skip
We checked static RPM on ground today and it was consistent with POH. 2300-2350.

Best cruise at low altitude was 2600, not the 2800 in the POH.

Last edited:
By Odin I climbed higher than that on a hot day in a Cessna 150 in Georgia. Plane's busted, OP should get it fixed before flying it again.

Constructive comments are welcome. This isn't that.

Context is everything. The OP should not be flying around in a clearly debilitated aircraft. And I was seriously not kidding about the 150. I don't want anyone on POA to die. If one of my pals had listned to this sort of advice he'd be on the right side of the grass.

Constructive comments are welcome. This isn't that.

It really is.

Different tone but same message: something is seriously wrong and you should not fly the plane until its fixed.

And a mechanic, not some dude on the internet, will be the one to analyze and fix the problem. Hopefully, before the plane shows up in an accident report.

Considering a Champ will fly up HERE at 6000' MSL on a reasonably cool/cold day and light... if one won't get to 3500 MSL from near sea level... it's thoroughly pooched.

It's got a listed service ceiling of 11,500' for chrissakes. It's VERY broken. Find a mechanic that knows what they're doing.

I bought a Citabria 7ECA a few months ago ... I can't get it to climb higher than 3,500. I live in Florida...
Hangared? Fabric ballooning up on the top of the wing in flight?

dtuuri

Curious... was the climb to 3500 normal, or diminished?

Wow, I would think that you'd need quite a runway to depart on, if you're topping out at 3500'. Just curious, how much runway did you use in that config?

I remember flying some C-150s, 200 fpm max, but they would do that all the way up.

Back