Trolling for Dr. Bruce, trolling for Dr. Bruce...

Yes it does, whether ash or meat, he will end up as ****. The only difference is if he provides nutrition along the way.
Come to that, I suppose there's even a bit of nutrition in ash. My day is brighter now. :goofy:

Why ash? Why not a normal, unembalmed burial at sea? Feed the fish, go into a few lobster pots and provide your friends one last feast.

That's my feeling, too! Why waste all that nutrition? Fish have to eat, too.

I don't even want a funeral, to tell you the truth. I hate funerals. Totally useless tradition that just inconveniences your friends and loved ones. I want to do them all a favor by being dropped into the ocean as soon as possible after death, and sparing my friends and family the whole funeral rigmarole.

-Rich

That's my feeling, too! Why waste all that nutrition? Fish have to eat, too.

I don't even want a funeral, to tell you the truth. I hate funerals. Totally useless tradition that just inconveniences your friends and loved ones. I want to do them all a favor by being dropped into the ocean as soon as possible after death, and sparing my friends and family the whole funeral rigmarole.

-Rich

Let's start a new tradition. If I die I want to be dropped into the ocean while my loved ones and friends have a kegger on the beach. :yes:

:rofl:

Last edited:
I want to do them all a favor by being dropped into the ocean as soon as possible after death...
I think most fish prefer live bait, so that means you'd have to be dropped in, you know, before you die.

dtuuri

I think most fish prefer live bait, so that means you'd have to be dropped in, you know, before you die.

dtuuri
Except that we are not trying catch the fish, we are concerned only with feeding them. Or not.

At least the thread has now come round to fulfill its title, assuming Dr. Bruce shares our preferences for our ultimate end.:)

I'm sure it would attract more of them if you at least wiggled a little bit.

dtuuri

Actually you'll wiggle around pretty well in the swell. If I wanted to call fish to you, I'd cut a couple of coconuts in half and stack them on a string about an inch apart so they knock in the swell. The sharks will be there shortly and all the rest of the smaller fish will swarm in on the shredded scraps.

Actually you'll wiggle around pretty well in the swell. If I wanted to call fish to you, I'd cut a couple of coconuts in half and stack them on a string about an inch apart so they knock in the swell. The sharks will be there shortly and all the rest of the smaller fish will swarm in on the shredded scraps.

Well have you considered that you might be contributing to the malnourishment of fish by feeding them your omega-6-over-saturated body, assuming that's what led to your demise in the first place? We are, after all, what we eat, so why not them too? If those fish are then caught and processed for omega-3 fatty acid supplements--it could come back to bite us! Not to mention that it would make us "cannibals by proxy"..

dtuuri

Well have you considered that you might be contributing to the malnourishment of fish by feeding them your omega-6-over-saturated body, assuming that's what led to your demise in the first place? We are, after all, what we eat, so why not them too? If those fish are then caught and processed for omega-3 fatty acid supplements--it could come back to bite us! Not to mention that it would make us "cannibals by proxy"..

dtuuri

Won't come back to bite me and I have no qualms with cannibalism. Even a vegan can be a cannibal by proxy.

Well this thread has certainly taken a metaphysical turn!

Well this thread has certainly taken a metaphysical turn!
On a less metaphysical note, I was interested to find some statistics (of course, it can be argued that statistics can have metaphysical properties!) about the slate of things that will make us all fish or worm food eventually.

I was most interested to see, if I interpret footnote 4 correctly, that prescription drugs cause more deaths than illegal drugs. And that suicide is not at the bottom. And that heart disease is still tippy top, despite the low fat, high carb food pyramid's influence over the last 40 years. :rolleyes:

http://www.drugwarfacts.org/cms/Causes_of_Death#sthash.LSXTOWg2.dpbs

On a less metaphysical note, I was interested to find some statistics (of course, it can be argued that statistics can have metaphysical properties!) about the slate of things that will make us all fish or worm food eventually.

I was most interested to see, if I interpret footnote 4 correctly, that prescription drugs cause more deaths than illegal drugs. And that suicide is not at the bottom. And that heart disease is still tippy top, despite the low fat, high carb food pyramid's influence over the last 40 years. :rolleyes:

A couple of points. The death rate for heart disease has been decreasing. Prescription drugs are often used illegally so be careful about coming to conclusions about the health care system. The chart lists "0" deaths for cannabis which is misleading. The NTSB reports report that a fair number of deceased pilots had THC in their blood that may have contributed to the event. Cannabis has rarely been determined to be the cause of death and this is probably under reported.

Gemma Moss, 31, was killed by the level of the drug in her blood, an inquest heard.
The regular churchgoer, who was found dead in her bedroom, is thought to be the first woman in Britain known to have died directly from cannabis poisoning.
Her death was caused by cannabis toxicity, and a coroner recorded a verdict of death by cannabis abuse.

Keep in mind that everyone who died of anything got onto that list, and there is no category for "expired due to extreme old age". My FIL bought it from CHF, but he was almost 90 when he went. Gotta die of something.

Keep in mind that everyone who died of anything got onto that list, and there is no category for "expired due to extreme old age". My FIL bought it from CHF, but he was almost 90 when he went. Gotta die of something.
Good point. There should probably be a checkbox on death certificates that indicates if the cause of death resulted in a premature death.

Good point. There should probably be a checkbox on death certificates that indicates if the cause of death resulted in a premature death.

What/who would determine that the death was premature? Where is the knowledge of universal order stored and do we access it?

What/who would determine that the death was premature? Where is the knowledge of universal order stored and do we access it?
The same physician who fills out the form. The cause of death is usually an opinion (occasionally a wild guess) unless an autopsy has been performed. If someone had lived past the mean life expectancy then the physician would take into account the health of the person prior to the illness that resulted in death.

The same physician who fills out the form. The cause of death is usually an opinion (occasionally a wild guess) unless an autopsy has been performed. If someone had lived past the mean life expectancy then the physician would take into account the health of the person prior to the illness that resulted in death.

That still doesn't determine when the person was meant to die.

Believe me, it is usually obvious from a physiologic perspective.

Is that the only perspective to consider? What about when someone healthy steps out in front of a bus because he was too dumb to look and gets killed?

Is that the only perspective to consider? What about when someone healthy steps out in front of a bus because he was too dumb to look and gets killed?
It makes a difference in studying public safety if the person was a healthy teenager or a hearing and sight impaired moderately demented octogenarian. We should be assessing years of quality of life lost. We spend a lot of resources in a mostly futile attempt to keep nursing home patients alive as long as possible when we should be concentrating on quality of life.

It makes a difference in studying public safety if the person was a healthy teenager or a hearing and sight impaired moderately demented octogenarian. We should be assessing years of quality of life lost. We spend a lot of resources in a mostly futile attempt to keep nursing home patients alive as long as possible when we should be concentrating on quality of life.

Wisdom if ever I heard it. Gets lost in the statistics, unfortunately.

I agree that quality of life is much more important than quantity, but what about the value of a life towards society re: resource consumed vs benefit provided?

Amen, to that. Lots of people are being kept alive that puts a burden on our society. Sure would be nice to pick and chose who is worthy.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but who can decide such things. A panel of my peers? People don't have a real good track record for deciding such things. Maybe this is why they are gathering data on all of us? :eek:

Last edited:
Amen, to that. Lots of people are being kept alive that puts a burden on our society. Sure would be nice to pick and chose who is worthy.

We do, anyone with the money to be kept alive is worthy until such time it is no longer profitable to keep them alive. We have a system, it's just a ****ed up system.

I agree that quality of life is much more important than quantity, but what about the value of a life towards society re: resource consumed vs benefit provided?

I have the impression that you generally consider human beings to be a worthless lot; since society is composed of human beings, why do you care what is of value to society? :confused:

I have the impression that you generally consider human beings to be a worthless lot; since society is composed of human beings, why do you care what is of value to society? :confused:

I don't, just curious on people's take on it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back