Tri-tip is on the East Coast

What are your thoughts on cheating?
IMG_0558-600x450.jpg
Just say no.

Tri Tip is fairly easy to cook, if you actually get Tri Tip. I was in Edenton NC two years ago and talked to the local butcher. He said he knew what it was but obviously didn’t. He gave us top sirloin roast, probably the flap. It was good but it was not not Tri Tip. More and more places on the East Coast are getting it now.

Sac is correct in cooking and slicing. I start with a hot grill and sear both sides then cook from there low and slow. It’s a thick cut so if you cook too hot the outside is tough before the inside cooks. This is from a month ago where I cooked Tri Tip for 100 people.

View attachment 74431

That ain’t how you cook it.

jockos-lucas.0.0.JPG

smsb1.png

Leave it to the east coast to mess something beautiful up ;)

That ain’t how you cook it.

jockos-lucas.0.0.JPG

smsb1.png

Leave it to the east coast to mess something beautiful up ;)

Not real clear where you are coming from, but tri tip can be cooked effectively on either an open grill and closed one. Ribs? Closed, smoker or how I do it.

Not real clear where you are coming from, but tri tip can be cooked effectively on either an open grill and closed one. Ribs? Closed, smoker or how I do it.

Traditional tri tip is cooked on a certain type of rig :)

That looks pretty good. Yum. I like to trim the fat on the back side down so I don't get flare ups.

That looks pretty good. Yum. I like to trim the fat on the back side down so I don't get flare ups.
It was already pretty well trimmed. I knocked off a few pieces. Next timeout of the basketball game and I’ll start the fire. Sunset was almost an hour ago so I’ll be night pax current, too.

Mighty fine!

But I thought one usually carves from the skinny vertex first?
I dunno, this is the first time I’ve done a tri tip. I cut the roast into two sections, there’s a natural seam. Then I could easily slice across the grain of each section more easily.

I dunno, this is the first time I’ve done a tri tip. I cut the roast into two sections, there’s a natural seam. Then I could easily slice across the grain of each section more easily.
On the scale of grilled meats, where would you rank a tri-tip?

On the scale of grilled meats, where would you rank a tri-tip?
I went into the garage and found something to hit myself with for not doing this a long time ago. It’s a sirloin roast, so it has the same texture and flavor as a sirloin steak. Cooked med-rare and sliced across the grain it’s really tender. I made salsa fresca for a side, and heated up some Bush’s beans to go along with it.

Traditionally it’s cooked over red oak. I don’t have any so I started a fire with lump charcoal, mostly oak, and added cherry wood for the smoke. I seasoned with Montreal Steak seasoning. It will happen again.

The down side is a steak only takes 4-5 minutes per side (give or take) and a tri tip may take 3-4 minutes per side over direct heat so a nice sear can form and another 20 minutes or so on the indirect heat to get to temp.

Last edited:
I went into the garage and found something to hit myself with for not doing this a long time ago. It’s a sirloin roast, so it has the same texture and flavor as a sirloin steak. Cooked med-rare and sliced across the grain it’s really tender. I made salsa fresca for a side, and heated up some Bush’s beans to go along with it.

Traditionally it’s cooked over red oak. I don’t have any so I started a fire with lump charcoal, mostly oak, and added cherry wood for the smoke. I seasoned with Montreal Steak seasoning. It will happen again.

The down side is a steak only takes 4-5 minutes per side (give or take) and a tri tip may take 3-4 minutes per side over direct heat so a nice sear can form and another 20 minutes or so on the indirect heat to get to temp.

That is about right. I usually go by feel in judging doneness. Flipping it regularly after the sear forms is a good idea, as to not to carbonize and dry out the outside.

One of my more favorite spices is the Brazilian Steakhouse seasoning. I would have done one today, but it's supposed to rain. So it will be inside rib day.

I haven’t tried that seasoning yet. I have a pantry full of rib rub, pork rub, brisket rub, chicken rub, and steak rub, but that particular recipe is not one of them.

Back