Tri-tip is on the East Coast

67067159_10217865107567008_2823434989842989056_n.jpg
Meet my back yard grass fed beef....Tee and Bone. They were wonderfully prepared. My daughter, the culinary expert and chef, did a wonderful job. Tee and Bone are restfully laid on a bed of heavenly lemon squash risotto....and major ROI on the culinary tuition investment. Great job Emily!!!

View attachment 75977
Meet my back yard grass fed beef....Tee and Bone. They were wonderfully prepared. My daughter, the culinary expert and chef, did a wonderful job. Tee and Bone are restfully laid on a bed of heavenly lemon squash risotto....and major ROI on the culinary tuition investment. Great job Emily!!!

That looks pretty good. The lemon squash risotto works for me as well.

Outstanding, young lady.

I’m grilling a pork tenderloin right now. And sipping on a whiskey sour. Life is good.

That looks pretty good. The lemon squash risotto works for me as well.

Outstanding, young lady.
I concur.

Matthew awards you 10 points plus 2 bonus points for the rice and another 2 bonus points for presentation. Well done, well done indeed.

I’m grilling a pork tenderloin right now. And sipping on a whiskey sour. Life is good.

Well, I saw what is a major load of "Country Style" pork ribs which is basically a rack of spare ribs already cut up. Well two racks worth I think. The one that was going to make them is not real good at cooking them and basically hates ribs to begin with (don't get me started) but we made a compromise. You marinate them, I will cook them.

I have no idea what the marinade is and I don't care. What I do care about is the proper application of heat and time to the rib making process, and I think we are all in agreement with that. She does the marinating, I will do the actual cooking. The actual cooking is more of a bbq process, yet within the oven, but if I have charge of it, it will not turn out burnt and tough.

Maybe one of these days when @SixPapaCharlie invites me play a role in one of his aviation reality videos, I will manage to work a tri tip preparation in to it.

Come be in one of mine. We'll go pick a cow and you can cut the tri tip strait off it's carcass with a wolf knife then prepare it, instead of getting it at some suburban Whole Foods in Bry Guy's hood.

Maybe we can convince SacArrow to come to KY next April and cook some for us!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I am about to tri tip. That is a verb now. We are tri tipping. Kind of like cow tipping. I guess it is a form of cow tipping but not quite. Scored a three pounder and hardly had to cut any fat off the bottom. Doing chikken thighs too.

Well, fellow Arrow, owner (at least i was). Pony up to the Rough River thread and plan for it. We have quite the feast on Saturday night. Your culinary skills would blend in well with out other cooks.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

St. Louis cut? They look meaty.

Okay finally, I found the thread.

Funny you should mention, but lately, all the store carries now are St. Louis style ribs and baby backs.

I got a couple racks of the St. Louis spares, and I'll make them up later.

Okay finally, I found the thread.

Funny you should mention, but lately, all the store carries now are St. Louis style ribs and baby backs.

I got a couple racks of the St. Louis spares, and I'll make them up later.
Here are a bunch of St Louis cut slabs from last weekend:

EE3C1D6C-A105-4A6D-AB88-D03C74BCC3FF.jpeg

FD52F6DB-4E72-4E2F-AC01-575C781A58D6.jpeg

Whenever I trim a rack of spares into a St Louis cut I always seem to end up closer to the bone than what those pics seem to indicate. What's the rule of thumb on how close it should be?
I take the chine bone and flex it. You’ll be able to feel the cartilage joint between the chine and ribs. Cut along that seam. On the bottom edge I try to use the longest rib as a guide.

The stuff I get is in the cryo pack. But, I can't argue with $1.77/lb either.

We need progress photos to go with this.

But... that would be like train wreck photos for you....
It would, but I still need to see them. :D

BTW, I’ve got top sirloin cooking as I type this. Seasoned and ready in less than 10 minutes.

update: its tender and cooked to perfection!

Last edited:
7FF5A558-2432-46BD-864F-001C3E236614.jpeg 6FA39991-F3C2-4725-80C8-EFF12CF70F2E.jpeg D4BFFF45-19F2-44C6-974D-8C81CB3B92F2.jpeg

Remove the membrane like so, seasonate, and ready for the oven. I am using coal holders to prop them up. Covered, 250 for 5 hours.

Interesting that they left that skirt/flap piece still on it. I like to trim it off and do a burnt end-ish type preparation with it.

Also, would have been nice if you turned that spice bottle about 60deg counter clockwise in the 2nd pic. :)

My local grocery store has a meat sale today.

I’ll get the vacuum sealer going tonight and laminate those ribeyes. That’s a $130 boneless rib roast I got for $78. And the marbling looks really good. I let the meat guy cut it (free) so I didn’t have to.

1D5A2FBF-9108-4BD4-8756-7FC03620227D.jpeg 982F1F45-3781-4E94-B98B-D3DDC1FCA2D7.jpeg

That rub looks good. The house is seriously smelling good now, however. It is like Thanksgiving, when you can smell the turkey cooking. Except it is ribs. Life ain't get better than that. Not much better, anyway.

Gotta say, best ribs I've had that didn't come out of a smoker. Even the haters didn't hate.

Gotta say, best ribs I've had that didn't come out of a smoker.
What are your thoughts on cheating?
IMG_0558-600x450.jpg

Back