Transporting guns on private plane

Blueangel

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Scott
As a gun enthusiast I want to find out how one can transport unloaded and locked rifles and pistols when flying a private plane between states. I'm having trouble finding the laws and requirements on this and do not want to break any laws that would get me in trouble. I'm planning a hunting trip to Montana this summer and would be flying my own plane from California to Montana for the hunting trip.

Thanks
Scott

I'm pretty sure there's a web site with the information you seek -- I know it's been discussed here before. If you need an answer right away, you could use the "search" function up at the top of this page. Otherwise, I'm sure someone who remembers will be along with your answer within a day or two.

There's nothing about the transport in a plane that's really different provided you stay out of the sterile area of any airport with airline service. That usually should not be a problem.

I'd do follow the normal procedures for interstate driving with weapons. Have them unloaded and cased separate from the ammunition. Montana and most of the western states probably aren't going to be a problem, but you don't want to attract attention.

What are you hunting in the summer in Montana?

All the states between Ca. and Mt. are open carry states, Your only problem might be in getting the guns from your car to the aircraft. Once packed in the aircraft leave them there, act responsibly you'll be OK.
If you are carrying a hand gun place it in a mitt, and secure it in the baggage compartment. When you remove it from there in MT. keep it in plane sight. do not conceal it.

There's nothing about the transport in a plane that's really different provided you stay out of the sterile area of any airport with airline service. That usually should not be a problem.

I'd do follow the normal procedures for interstate driving with weapons. Have them unloaded and cased separate from the ammunition. Montana and most of the western states probably aren't going to be a problem, but you don't want to attract attention.

That about sums it up. If you carry concealed, be sure to know the laws of your flyover state in the event you need to divert.

Two decent sites for starters:

http://handgunlaw.us/

http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=159

If you are carrying a hand gun place it in a mitt, and secure it in the baggage compartment. When you remove it from there in MT. keep it in plane sight. do not conceal it.

Unless MT law has changed, concealed carry anywhere outside of cities/towns is perfectly legal. Of course the feds might feel differently on federal lands but the state law is clear on the matter.

From everything I've read on it, outside special sterile areas it's the same as the rules would be in your car.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but is there anywhere in the US where you'd have a problem if the gun was in a case, unloaded, out of reach, and the ammunition in a separate container? I have lived in IL- one of the worst states and WI and I know that standard works in both of those places. (IL also requires a FOID card if you are a resident). You do not need a CCW or anything special to carry an unloaded firearm if it's in a case and out of reach.

I think you guys are over complicating things....this is not a TSA flight.

Take yours loaded unloaded, in your lap, stuffed in your waistband, whatever.....it's not a regulated flight.

I think you guys are over complicating things....this is not a TSA flight.

Take yours loaded unloaded, in your lap, stuffed in your waistband, whatever.....it's not a regulated flight.

I expect that it's very unlikely that anyone would see it, know about it, or care about it. But...

Doing what you describe in some states(assuming no concealed carry permit) could get you arrested and charged with a felony. That's IL law anyway, OP said he was going to CA which is probably just as bad or worse.

Unless MT law has changed, concealed carry anywhere outside of cities/towns is perfectly legal. Of course the feds might feel differently on federal lands but the state law is clear on the matter.

You are probably right, I've never questioned it.

It's legal to carry on federal land, but not inside a federal building. The question which arises from that is - I'm in a National Forest, I go to use an outhouse in the NF, am I in a federal building?

Thanks guys for the quick reply! I would have them locked, unloaded in the baggage compartment and separate from ammo just like I transport them in my car or truck to the range. I'm planning on deer hunting trip.

From everything I've read on it, outside special sterile areas it's the same as the rules would be in your car.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but is there anywhere in the US where you'd have a problem if the gun was in a case, unloaded, out of reach, and the ammunition in a separate container? I have lived in IL- one of the worst states and WI and I know that standard works in both of those places. (IL also requires a FOID card if you are a resident). You do not need a CCW or anything special to carry an unloaded firearm if it's in a case and out of reach.

I believe that New York has tried to enforce their draconian gun control laws on innocent travelers. Denver had a law almost as bad as the New York law but it's been nullified by state law.

Federal peaceable journey law protects travelers who comply with its provisions which are basically what you describe, unloaded and locked somewhere to prevent ready access.

make sure you have the carry permits....just like in the car.:yesnod:

Not out west. The only time you must have a permit is when the hand gun is concealed in certain cities or federal lands such as an airport or reservation, park, state forest camp grounds.

Generally, if you are on open range, you are good to go with it loaded and concealed.

As a gun enthusiast I want to find out how one can transport unloaded and locked rifles and pistols when flying a private plane between states. I'm having trouble finding the laws and requirements on this and do not want to break any laws that would get me in trouble. I'm planning a hunting trip to Montana this summer and would be flying my own plane from California to Montana for the hunting trip.

Thanks
Scott

At a pretty basic level, if your state allows you to transport guns in a vehicle thats the rule you need to follow intrastate.

If you travel interstate - then you need to make sure you obey the rules of the states you may land in. Real hassle, huh?

Practically speaking - you will violate a weapons law - it is almost impossible not to. There are ATF and gun enthusiast websites that have this information -google is your friend.

Next - how does anyone know that you have weapons in your aircraft unless they are visible or start talking about them if you cover them up with other items - then no one knows they are there - I would do that as a matter of course.

When I moved cross country I stopped only in South Carolina, Alabama, and Texas - little risk in those places.

If you are flying over the northeast, including PA, make sure you know their rules in case you need to make an unscheduled stop, and pay particular attention to states like Illinois, California, Oregon and Washington. . . . when I removed my weapons at my destination I removed them in a closed hangar and placed them in a vehicle inside a closed hangar - what no one knows or see did not happen. Keep in mind there are cameras everywhere.

If you are coming to Calif - long guns only and make sure you are not bringing in any weapon which fits the 'assault weapon' definition - AR15/AK and weps that use those calibers I would not bring without knowing exactly what you are doing.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the quick reply! I would have them locked, unloaded in the baggage compartment and separate from ammo just like I transport them in my car or truck to the range. I'm planning on deer hunting trip.

Have fun, you are good to go.

Not out west. The only time you must have a permit is when the hand gun is concealed in certain cities or federal lands such as an airport or reservation, park, state forest camp grounds.

Generally, if you are on open range, you are good to go with it loaded and concealed.

That would get you locked up in Maryland......:D

Unloaded.....and amo separated is the safest way to travel without risk of violating weapons transportation laws.

Obviously states will differ on transporting loaded weapons.

Last edited:
If you are flying over the northeast, including PA, make sure you know their rules in case you need to make an unscheduled stop, and pay particular attention to states like Illinois, California, Oregon and Washington. . . .

Wa's new law does not prevent any one from transporting any weapon. It's just for sales and transferring the ownership. we are required to have a CCW to carry loaded and concealed.

That would get you locked up in Maryland......:D

Unloaded.....and amo separated is the safest way to travel without risk of violating weapons transportation laws.

Obviously states will differ on transporting loaded weapons.

I didn't know that Md had any open range. do you have to cross a cattle guard to get there?

I bring my rifles and pistols when I go camping, planning on buyin a Remington marine magnum 12G which will live in the plane full time in a floating soft case.

Long and short, the constitution of the United States gives me that right, I exercise it, unless I'm flying into another country of course.

Never really had a major issue, had a airport wanna be cop ask about it once, didn't bother with him, uneventful.

Just treat it like any other cargo, secure it, even though most all firearms are drop tested I still don't keep a round in the chamber while on the plane.

Pistol gets put in the flight bag. Haven't carried long guns yet. Nobody should be looking around your plane for firearms, anyways.

I bring my rifles and pistols when I go camping, planning on buyin a Remington marine magnum 12G which will live in the plane full time in a floating soft case.

The nickel plated one? That is a sweet looking shotgun. I had one and sold it about 3-4 years ago when prices got high.

Good choice.

true - but famous last words. . .

You never know who is going to abuse their power. It could be Customs, or a divert due to weather, or mechanical issues to a state that doesn't recognize your 2A rights. Illegal searches happen everyday, and when you're spread eagle on the ramp, there isn't much you can do about it. If they find a gun even though it is legally owned, and legally carried in your home state it may still be illegal in the state in which you find yourself stuck.

Last edited:
OP said he was going to CA which is probably just as bad or worse.
OP lives in CA (location says Sacramento) and is going to MT. So maybe traveling through NV, UT, ID, WY? Not sure what some of the other states mentioned in this thread have anything to do with it. Unless the OP gets really lost and ends up in IL or WI. :D

OP lives in CA (location says Sacramento) and is going to MT. So maybe traveling through NV, UT, ID, WY? Not sure what some of the other states mentioned in this thread have anything to do with it. Unless the OP gets really lost and ends up in IL or WI. :D

He'll be fine in WI. Probably go to jail in IL.

40 mm cannon in the nose. 30 cal on the wings. Check your W&B and you are good to go

The nickel plated one? That is a sweet looking shotgun. I had one and sold it about 3-4 years ago when prices got high.

Good choice.

Yep, planning on a speed feed stock, 00 and slugs staggered in the tube, bird shot on one side of the stock, flares on the other.

Figure that should cover large angry animals, and birds and flares for if I get stuck somewhere, floating case helps from having a expensive oops and prevents damage to the interior or shotgun, as well as keeping it more low profile.

and pay particular attention to states like Illinois, California, Oregon and Washington. . . . .

I've always found WA to be very constitutional and welcoming of our rights.

Also if you think you might be hassled best to go with a few friends and carry heavy, most "law enforcement" is much more civil when they greet a polite group of well armed law abiding citizens, you'll get less John Wayne factor that way.

I did not know there was a Summer hunting season for deer.

My freind hunt deer and elk there in the winter.

I did not know there was a Summer hunting season for deer.

My freind hunt deer and elk there in the winter.

Some states issue farmers crop control permits to hunt deer year round. Maybe he has something like that going on?

Especially if you're flying uncontrolled field to uncontrolled field.. This type of "operation" would be even less hectic. Just might want to find out about getting the weapons from the car to aircraft and vise versa while on field. As far as the actual flying, I dont think it would be an issue.

Back