Transient tie down fees

I was more thinking of a 2 week trip to visit family in a different area. How do you all normally deal with the parking?
I guess I still don't understand the question. Like many other posters have mentioned, call around to local airports that meet your requirements as see what they have to say. Compare costs and go from there.

I was more thinking of a 2 week trip to visit family in a different area. How do you all normally deal with the parking?
If you mean to park for two weeks at a single airport, a couple things come to mind.
- My home airport will roll a long term parker to a monthly rate once you've met that cost in single days - IIRC $10/day - $60/Month - after 6 days you don't pay any more. Only thing to be careful of is if it's based on calendar month vs # of days.
- Some airports have transient parking that is separate from the FBO. KGON for example has a large area with tie-down rings (but no ropes) where you can park for free. The FBO is $20/day for SE piston. For a day or two, I stay with the FBO for convenience, when I was there for a week, I brought ropes and paid nothing.

As others have said, call ahead. Also, call the airport manager as well as the FBO. That's how I found out about the situation at KGON for example.

I guess that I'm not understanding the question.

Taxi up to the FBO, if there's nobody to direct you where to park, the spots are usually marked on the ground. Stop in one of the marked spots. If there aren't any marked spots or there are no empty ones, just stop near the FBO. Get out, go inside the FBO and ask.

If you mean knowing how much it's going to cost, call the airport while still planning your flight.

For two weeks, I would definitely call the airport in advance.
Absolutely. If there are tiedown fees, you might even discover that paying the monthly ramp rent is the least expensive option. It may even result in discounted fuel as a “based” airplane.

Fair fair -- I've never gotten billed that before. But I totally agree if they handed me that bill I'd say it's a scam -- or unethical business at best.
Just tell them you're a "sovereign citizen" and you never signed a contract with them. ;)

Pahokee, Florida (KPHK)’s entry on Foreflight lists fees, including a weight-based landing fee and a ramp fee. I called the airport office to ask about it, and it was the manager who answered. He said he’d been there for years and never heard of any fees.

What alternatives are there? Paying the overnight fee(s) is part of the game. Usually you will get a night or two waived with a certain amount of fuel purchased, but there is typically still a fee involved for staying overnight, especially multiple nights.
Like if there are people who have spots they own but their planes are in for maintenance and are willing to rent them for less $ than a transient daily rate? Ideas like that are what I'm looking for to save money.

Let's say I'm planning a 2 week vacation to a single city and the tie down transient rate is $15/day. That trip would cost me $210 in just tie down parking fees, which is almost like a 2 week pro-ration of a t-hangar. I want to know what other people here do when in this situation to help reduce those costs.

Like if there are people who have spots they own but their planes are in for maintenance and are willing to rent them for less $ than a transient daily rate? Ideas like that are what I'm looking for to save money.

Let's say I'm planning a 2 week vacation to a single city and the tie down transient rate is $15/day. That trip would cost me $210 in just tie down parking fees, which is almost like a 2 week pro-ration of a t-hangar. I want to know what other people here do when in this situation to help reduce those costs.
I’d be careful. Depending on the lease for those tenant’s hangars, that could be deemed a sublease. I wouldn’t approve of that at my airport, as you’d be violating my lease agreements and shortchanging me revenue.

I travel XC a lot, being retired, I consider the price of gasoline, price of hotel, fees, crew cars, maintenance, how they handle my inquiries on the phone, price of car rentals, just friendliness. Over 50 yrs, I’ve found the most inexpensive airports appreciate my business and go out of their way to be helpful. I check the comments on airnav and ForeFlight as well. An ounce of prevention beats a pint of cure. I prefer to give my business to those that appreciate it. Once in awhile I bite the bullet, only after checking out the option.

Back