Transient tie down fees

RescueMunchkin

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
RescueMunchkin
For those who take trips spanning several days, do you just pay the transient overnight fees at the airports you park at? Feels like the costs can quickly add up, so are there better alternatives?

Depends on the airport. Some don't charge anything. Some charge a nominal amount. Some can get quite pricy. Call around to airports in the vicinity of your destination.

And many will waive some or all of the fee with a minimal fuel purchase. Many times 10 gallons will do it.

But otherwise, you have to pay. Or find another place to land and stay.

For those who take trips spanning several days, do you just pay the transient overnight fees at the airports you park at? Feels like the costs can quickly add up, so are there better alternatives?

Not sure I understand the question as worded. If I park at an airport which has fees, then yes of course I pay them.

I may plan my trip to avoid airports with fees, or may decide that the airports with fees are a better choice. That's part of preflight planning.

Note, as mentioned above, many airports do waive fees if you buy a certain amount of fuel. And this might add another dimension to your flight planning (i.e. make sure you arrive with enough room in the tanks to take enough fuel to get the fee waived).

Some fees (usually landing fees) aren't generally waivable, since they're charged by the airport authority, not the FBO. The FBO fees (like ramp, handling, service, etc), are the ones more likely to be waived.

But even if you're going to get the fee waived with fuel purchase, you still may want to do the math. If, for example, the fuel is expensive and the fee is cheap, it may make sense to just pay the fee and not get fuel. Or vice versa.

I may plan my trip to avoid airports with fees, or may decide that the airports with fees are a better choice. That's part of preflight planning.
Particularly on a multi-day trip, that planning can include an assessment of fee structure in the context of all the expenses. I've become kind of a fan of larger airports. When I went to visit my old Springfield, MA stomping grounds, I had several good choices, including 7B2 where I learned how to fly.

I settled on BDL, the Bradley International Class C primary. It was the most convenient, but it also ended up being the least expensive, in large part because the car rental fees at an airline airport are substantially less than a smaller airport where Enterprise "special" GA pricing is the only option.

Last edited:
I did a coast to.coast trip and back some time ago and researched the airports along the route.

I doubt if i ended up overnighting at 10% of the airports I researched. Weather, timing, whatever ended up dictating where I spent the night. Tie down fees were the very last of my concerns.

To be clear I was vfr with a slow airplane. Faster and IFR you can probably count on mostly landing where you choose to spend the night.

Short answer: yeah I pay the fees. No choice.

Longer answer: I try and figure out ahead of time which place has manageable ramp fees. Some waive with gas purchase if it's a short stay. Others have decent deals - like in Kalamazoo where I spend a lot of time, the FBO charges a maximum of 10 days ramp fee for month ($10/day). The rest of the month is free. There's other places I've learned by experience just don't charge even though if you call they say they do.

Really when traveling I just try and avoid places like KSDL if I can, where basic ramp fees are like 45$ a day. Those fees add up quick.

Sometimes when planning we get too busy studying the trees and miss the forest, too.

Make sure to consider all costs involved for a trip. For example, if you're flying to a big city, then yes, maybe the fees are high. But maybe you won't need to rent a car, if other transportation options exist like a hotel shuttle. And if you don't have to rent a car, then you don't need to pay for car parking at the downtown hotel.

And then there's the convenience factor. "Busy" FBOs (i.e. often the expensive ones) are often (but not always) pretty well set up to get you in and out quickly and on to where you're going. You may spend longer trying to arrange fuel and transportation at the small, uncontrolled but cheaper strip. Or, the small strip might be more convenient and have shorter taxi times with no ATC delays. You just need to check ahead of time.

And maybe if it's just you traveling, you're okay with "I just need a self-serve fuel pump and a porta-potty". But if you have non-pilot passengers, they might like a few more amenities (like free cookies and indoor plumbing). Makes them feel fancy. And don't forget, if they like flying with you, they're more likely to want to go more often - what's that worth?

Call ahead. You might have multiple local airport options. Smaller airports, especially municipal/county run, may have a nominal fee like $7, if at all.

Some bigger airports have 2 or 3 FBOs. They may waive parking fees with minimum fuel purchase.

I landed at San Antonio International this afternoon. Called the 3 FBOs before (landed here back in Sept too). Settled on the one with most expensive fuel but cheaper fees, and they waived one night of parking with 10 gallons of fuel. Gotta do some math to figure that out, lol.

Flying up and down the east coast I usually have an idea on where I’m going to overnight. I do check air nav for latest info on fee structure. I like to stop at airports that have maintenance facilities available. I also like to know if Uber or taxi service is available. For the latest info on fees it is suggested you cntact the FBO.

do you just pay the transient overnight fees at the airports you park at? Feels like the costs can quickly add up, so are there better alternatives?
What alternatives are there? Paying the overnight fee(s) is part of the game. Usually you will get a night or two waived with a certain amount of fuel purchased, but there is typically still a fee involved for staying overnight, especially multiple nights.

The smaller airports which are the kind I frequent usually have no overnight fees. They also usually have no ground transportation, which may or may not be an issue.

There seems to be a sweet spot for me (since my work travel is always near big cities) -- between the big super jet center at the class D/C saturated fields, and a sleepier D/G airport where I can still get a rental car. I don't mind adding an hour of driving if it saves me the fees -- since the fees chap me far more than they actually cost.

Lately though I have been too lazy to research, fly into the busy drome, and accept my phonging at the FBO counter. Just did it at LGB and Atlantic (I miss Airflite) and paid premium rates and fees and got junk service. THAT stuff really annoys me. If I pay to play, I expect to get the treatment, the service, and the line guys not looking at one another with stupid looks on face when I ask how many gallons my top-off took. "top off?" :mad2:

At least my mildIy overpriced rental car was driven wingside on arrival. That still feels a little cool. :)

There’s quite a few airports that are free parking, just depends, call ahead and see.

I usually just land in a corn field next to the airport and tie down. It ****es the farmers off, but they will get over it.

Is Airnav.com the best place to research fees? Or another? I don't use foreflight, if that is a suggestion.

Second best. Best is emailing the FBO where you are going or looking at the FBI website.
I've had enough mixed results with emailing FBOs that I don't bother anymore - meaning I never hear back or it takes too long for them to respond. This includes the "Contact Form" on FBO websites as well. Some are really good about responding, but enough others aren't that I gave up and just call them. Yes, it would be nice to have the fees in writing though.

I've had enough mixed results with emailing FBOs that I don't bother anymore - meaning I never hear back or it takes too long for them to respond. This includes the "Contact Form" on FBO websites as well. Some are really good about responding, but enough others aren't that I gave up and just call them. Yes, it would be nice to have the fees in writing though.
I have a funny attitude about email. It's normal communication. If there's a choice of FBOs (or close by airports) I might email both. Whoever gets back to me in writing will usually get my business. No real choice; no reason to ask.

In general I find that the decision about whether I'm paying a tie down fee rests with the rampers.
And buying any amount of fuel usually makes that concern go away.

And where is anyone landing a GA plane where "landing fees" are a thing? F that

In general I find that the decision about whether I'm paying a tie down fee rests with the rampers.
And buying any amount of fuel usually makes that concern go away.

I don't care if they call them security fees, ramp fees, infrastructure fees, they're all fees I'm charged to use the airport and I ball them up into price of landing.

I do try not to patronize these places, but man I have been surprised by some real MOFN places that felt their ramp was worth $25 or more.

I don't care if they call them security fees, ramp fees, infrastructure fees, they're all fees I'm charged to use the airport and I ball them up into price of landing.

I do try not to patronize these places, but man I have been surprised by some real MOFN places that felt their ramp was worth $25 or more.
Wow, $25 or more, like in today’s economy that’s a lot of money and honestly if you want to save money driving or taking the bus is your best option.

I am an XC type pilot. My time is valuable. I fly places to get there quickly. Flying farther to a less convenient location and then driving out of my way is not time efficient.

100LL and hourly operational costs for an airplane aren’t cheap, nor is unleaded gas driving farther than needed. Do the real math and you aren’t saving much.

Having a real fenced airport with controlled access so my avionics aren’t stollen has value as does some FBO services beyond free internet and a vending machine.

Depends how long I'm there for.
If I'm popping in for 2 hours to grab a burger and they charge me $25 ldg fee/infra/... I'm going to be a little annoyed or might consider other stops. $5-10 OK.. $25 or more.. excessive for a SEP aircraft.
But if I'm staying overnight or longer it's usually a small amount of the overall trip expense where I don't notice it much.

Wow, $25 or more, like in today’s economy that’s a lot of money and honestly if you want to save money driving or taking the bus is your best option.

Cute.

If I'm making a fuel stop, and there are 100 dustbowl airports available with nobody around, no fence, and nothing to **** on -- yet one of them wants a ramp fee for no other amenities other than being there, I find it irritating. Particularly if I have no way to discover the fees when airborne. Similar to the "tipping for everything" -- it's a bad trend.

Cute.

If I'm making a fuel stop, and there are 100 dustbowl airports available with nobody around, no fence, and nothing to **** on -- yet one of them wants a ramp fee for no other amenities other than being there, I find it irritating. Particularly if I have no way to discover the fees when airborne. Similar to the "tipping for everything" -- it's a bad trend.
I have mixed feelings about ramp fees in that the airport needs to cover operating expenses to stay viable. I am not versed in the normal operating expenses of a small rural airport with SS fuel and whether fuel sales profit covers expenses. A small nominal fee doesn't bother me. At a full service ramp with very high fees I find a ramp fee unpalatable if I am in just for a splash. I wouldn't mind a minor courtesy car fee ($20-25) either if the fuel was near the lower end of cost. Although I have not encountered very high ramp fees I would tend to avoid such landings unless I had no option. Hopefully, congress can get legislation passed that will provide penalties for FBO's/airports that do not disclose fees in a readily accessible manor.

I rather pay a small handling fee and land somewhere with services, than some country airport in the middle of nowhere without any. Especially if it’s late at night. The exception is a scam artist FBO like Signature. If that’s the only place on the field, I’m looking elsewhere.

I have mixed feelings about ramp fees in that the airport needs to cover operating expenses to stay viable. I am not versed in the normal operating expenses of a small rural airport with SS fuel and whether fuel sales profit covers expenses.
Fuel sales usually don’t generate enough revenue to stay afloat on their own, unless you’re pumping a lot of Jet-A on an annual basis. There simply isn’t enough margin on AvGas to get a lot of profit on. Depending on the operation, the ramp fees are nominal in terms of revenue, but every little bit helps!

If a person uses chocks instead of tying down, is the tie down fee still collected..??

I rather pay a small handling fee and land somewhere with services, than some country airport in the middle of nowhere without any. Especially if it’s late at night. The exception is a scam artist FBO like Signature. If that’s the only place on the field, I’m looking elsewhere.
What's wrong with Signature? They've always been pretty transparent about fees for me, even at the more expensive locations I've visited.
I know they get a bad rap for being the big bad FBO chain, but how do they scam people with charges? Genuinely curious.

Charging $86 to pull on their ramp and receive zero services is a scam.
Fair fair -- I've never gotten billed that before. But I totally agree if they handed me that bill I'd say it's a scam -- or unethical business at best.

All the time. Not for a day trip or a $100 hamburger. But a muti-day trip where I also want a car? It's usually less expensive and more convenient. And if I didn't care about convenience, I'd take an airline or drive.

What's wrong with Signature? They've always been pretty transparent about fees for me, even at the more expensive locations I've visited.
I know they get a bad rap for being the big bad FBO chain, but how do they scam people with charges? Genuinely curious.
It's not really a scam - they are upfront about it. OTOH, there's a reason they were not permitted to acquire the TAC Air locations where it would reduce existing competition.

I just did a quick comparison. Two airports I'm familiar with. I mention the fuel price just for fuller information. Fuel prices can vary a lot by location.
KAVL, Asheville, NC. Only choice. Piston aircraft: $157 including overnight parking, before fuel purchase waiver. Full serve fuel, $7.83; self serve $6.84.​
KAPA, Denver Centennial, CO. Three FBOs. Piston aircraft: $69 including overnight parking, before fuel purchase waiver. Full Serve $7.75; Self serve: $6.75.​

When you cite the $157 and $69 figures, what do those refer to? Just basic charges (ldg/infra/...) before getting services?

Dallas Love field is actually a pretty reasonable GA stop if you are going to Dallas. I've been there multiple times in light GA aircraft, including single engine pistons. And they have a landing fee (6.55 per 1000 pounds).

At some airports, it depends on who is working that day whether the charge is enforced, or enforced fully.
The biggest discount I've seen Signature give though, was to waive the fee with 4-5 gallons of fuel instead of the required 10, because I couldn't hold 10.
Calling around can save some money though. Like at KLOU, park on the East and you'll pay at Signature. Park West, no charge at the other FBO, who is also more personable.

I am an XC type pilot. My time is valuable. I fly places to get there quickly. Flying farther to a less convenient location and then driving out of my way is not time efficient.

100LL and hourly operational costs for an airplane aren’t cheap, nor is unleaded gas driving farther than needed. Do the real math and you aren’t saving much.

Having a real fenced airport with controlled access so my avionics aren’t stollen has value as does some FBO services beyond free internet and a vending machine.
Hey, it's your money; spend it however you like.

Since $25 is nothing to you, you can Venmo to @David-Torrente.

Depends on the airport. Some don't charge anything. Some charge a nominal amount. Some can get quite pricy. Call around to airports in the vicinity of your destination.
I was more thinking of a 2 week trip to visit family in a different area. How do you all normally deal with the parking?

Back