Trans + Past Adjustment Disorder = HIMS???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Government employees are not permitted to make arbitrary decisions. There are regulations they must work by because they are executing law and there can be no personal judgement in that action.

You don't know that?

This is very different than having a tough standard for finding alcoholics and sticking to it to the point of catching "too many". There isn't a standard that requires a gender dysphoric pilot to attend constant monitoring.
Lol. If you get high enough up that government totem you can most definitely make changes. The HIMS policy towards dependence is a perfect example of exactly that happening. You do know that right…

The HIMS policy toward dependence is a policy. It's not an example of a government official making an arbitrary decision.

Gender dysphoria via HIMS is not a policy.

We've had enough court cases recently that show that even presidents have to follow the rules.

We've had enough court cases recently that show that even presidents have to follow the rules.
Really? I must have missed that.
The FAA is treating it as such. HIMS is being used as a rathole for lots of things these days. The PUBLISHED GD policy is counterproductive. It indeed leads to an INCREASED incidence of the things that Stan Cooper mentions rather than otherwise. It's amazing that the FAA tolerates abusive and misogynistic FSDO inspectors, but obstructs any sane psychological pathways for pilots.

Since several posters here have been speculating about suicidal ideation and its relationship to GD, I should just mention that the letter to the FAA from the therapist who performed the adjustment disorder diagnosis, who has known me for a few years, explicitly states that I have never had suicidal thoughts.

Have you contacted NGPA for support?

Thanks for the suggestion. They weren't willing to speak to me anonymously (and since they're not lawyers or doctors, I'm a little leery of outing myself to them without some guarantee of confidentiality). If anybody here can attest to their effectiveness I'll probably try reaching out to them through my lawyer.

Last edited:
The HIMS policy toward dependence is a policy. It's not an example of a government official making an arbitrary decision.

A government official changed the policy unilaterally. Call it what you want. Doesn’t change the reality.

Other than this may be one of the first cases the FAA can be called out on. Especially since it gives the appearance of discrimination.

Thanks for the suggestion [to contact NGPA]. They weren't willing to speak to me anonymously (and since they're not lawyers or doctors, I'm a little leery of outing myself to them without some guarantee of confidentiality). If anybody here can attest to their effectiveness I'll probably try reaching out to them through my lawyer.
In all likelihood NGPA would refer you to AMAS. That's what they did for me when I was looking for help with a special issuance (HIV infection). They're an excellent resource.

Here’s a question- does a mental diagnosis have to come from a psychologist or psychiatrist? The term ‘therapist’ is used loosely (as is counselor) and they have varying degrees of education. In my opinion, counselors and therapist really do not have the background to diagnose mental disorders, but I could be wrong.

You stated what you were assuming, namely that he "assumes much."

So because he assumed things about me, my assumption that he was wrong must be incorrect.

sorry, this borders on insanity.

So because he assumed things about me, my assumption that he was wrong must be incorrect.

sorry, this borders on insanity.
What made you think he was assuming things about you?

All he did was respond to your post. It could be argued that his rhetorical questions indicate possible assumptions about you but that’s not how I read the post. You said he was wasting his time. He explained why he thought it was not a waste of his time. I don’t think the post was about you at all.

The use of the word "you" was a pretty strong giveaway. Then he touted his own virtues as if he was the one how had them. As a vet and someone who votes every year, it did come across as an assumption on his part that he did more things because he cares.

Whatever...I'm done talking about it.

The use of the word "you" was a pretty strong giveaway. Then he touted his own virtues as if he was the one how had them. As a vet and someone who votes every year, it did come across as an assumption on his part that he did more things because he cares.

Someone needs to wrap up in a nice warm blanket with a big mug of hot chocolate and watch Frozen again, again. ;) Your posts often appear full of anger and disrespect toward others. I said APPEAR. Perceptions are reality. Think about that. Acting all wild and frenzied undermines any good points you make by causing others to dismiss your emotional ravings. Have a better day. We’re all friends here.

Not trying to argue. I really think the rhetorical questions were used to illustrate his position. The obvious answer is yes you vote and yes you engage your representatives. I dunno. That’s just how I read the post. I really don’t think he was insulting you.

All he did was respond to your post. It could be argued that his rhetorical questions indicate possible assumptions about you but that’s not how I read the post. You said he was wasting his time. He explained why he thought it was not a waste of his time. I don’t think the post was about you at all.

This

Other than this may be one of the first cases the FAA can be called out on. Especially since it gives the appearance of discrimination.

I’m in a very similar position to OP—no longer have dysphoria or depression—but being asked for additional psychiatric evals. If one wanted to be belligerent who would you start with? I don’t see why I shouldn’t be able to follow SSRI Decision Path I like everyone else who had cause to be depressed, got help, and got better.

In this single case, I'd suggest contacting a lawyer and getting the FAA to validate the policy. It doesn't match what is printed in the AME guide.

Of course, the outcome of this could be a very restrictive change in policy. Given how the case proceeded, there's a chance of claiming retaliation.

Just my read - I could be completely off.

If I was a supportive AME, I would politely ask OKC to provide a copy of the policy or guidance that directs this monitoring for this condition.

Bureaucrats don't get to just make stuff up. If they can't provide it in writing in established policy/guidance, and they won't back down, my next step would be notifying my Congressional rep's constituent services staff.

If I was a good AME, I would tell OKC to provide a copy of the policy or guidance that directs this monitoring for this condition, and recommend the pilot forward to a good aviation attorney, as well as their elected officials.

IMO

Pretty brash for them to go off the reservation RIGHT AFTER they said they’d be “inclusive”
Sounds like discrimination, if some in the FAA were made examples of I would wager the rest would fall in line.

If I’m pulled over for speeding it’s not standard procedure for the cop to very politely ask me if I wouldn’t mind slowing down, they issue tickets so doing wrong hurts your pocketbook, accountability

I’d forward your story to your elected officials, this is what we pay them taxes to do, and elect them for.

No idea about this site, but it has a find my elected official finder.

https://www.270towin.com/elected-officials/

Last edited:
Anyone experiencing either/both of the first two circumstances - gender dysphoria or not - would be more likely to have suicidal thoughts, while individuals with gender dysphoria and access to gender-affirming medical care are less likely to have suicidal thoughts.
And all are more likely than the general population.

@BladeSlap

FYI, it is poor internet etiquette to quote someone else's post and completely change the text of the quote. Regardless of whether you bolded it or not.

This thread has drifted far from the original asked question and into spin zone-like discussion.

Closed for MC review.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back