Want To Buy Training Partnership?

Franco1024

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Franco1024
I have been researching the idea of buying an aircraft for training purposes. I would like to buy with a partner to relieve some of the maintenance cost. Partner does not have to be in training.

Thinking of getting a cheap C150 for a maximum of 25k-30k.If I can find a decent C172 or Piper, IFR equipped in that price range. I would take that and be able to keep it longer as I plan on getting instrument rated right after PPL.

If anyone is intrested please feel free to reach out. Im in the DFW area looking to keep at KADS or KGPM.

Any and all info is much appreciated.

Last edited:
Your post is a bit confusing. Your title says partnership but you don't mention anything to do with forming a partnership in the post. Are you looking to buy with a partner or will you be the sole owner?

I have now updated to clarify. Thanks I didn't really review it before posting. Sorry

There is a flying club near me that has an Archer II, as well as a list of CFIs who are approved to train in the plane. Fixed buy in, then an hourly rate (dry) to fly. I'm currently vacillating between buying in to the club or buying an Archer II outright, but I enjoy modeling scenarios and playing what-if. Perhaps you can find a similar club in your area.

The Club in my area does have a couple pipers but they are missing a C172. My plan is to maybe buy with a partner and join the club to make a little money off the plane as well. The club reportedly has 100 members and 5 planes. I figured I would help them out as much as they would help me.

I have been researching the idea of buying an aircraft for training purposes. I would like to buy with a partner to relieve some of the maintenance cost. Partner does not have to be in training.

Thinking of getting a cheap C150 for a maximum of 25k-30k.If I can find a decent C172 or Piper, IFR equipped in that price range. I would take that and be able to keep it longer as I plan on getting instrument rated right after PPL.

If anyone is intrested please feel free to reach out. Im in the DFW area looking to keep at KADS or KGPM.

Any and all info is much appreciated.

I descent IFR equipped C172 or Piper for $30K. Good luck.

I descent IFR equipped C172 or Piper for $30K. Good luck.

Would 50k be more realistic? I can go that high just wanted to save some for the maintenance that I might have to do.

Looking more into it. I think I might just be looking into buying it alone and doing a leaseback with a flight school/FBO. Looking into a C 150 as there is no market in my area for that type of small training aircraft. Anyone have any experience with Leasebacks. Main goal is to cut cost on training by buying the plane. And have it used more than 100hrs per year would help with the staionary Maintenance cost.

@Franco1024 .... before dumping the money into purchasing... check to see if Sherman Gardner's "In The Pattern" (http://inthepattern.com) at KDTO would fit your needs. He has a very nice 1975 C150M available for $95.00/hr wet. As well as other aircraft when you are ready to step up to larger/faster. He also has some really good instructors associated with his operation. Especially Amanda S.

You mention the following

1) Having it at Addison (KADS). Really nice airport when you own an airplane, but not the best selection to train out of. The airport is very busy with jet traffic and it is not unusual for the VFR student to have to wait 15-20 minutes or longer for their turn to take the runway. All the while the money meter is turning adding to your training expenses with zero benefit.

2) Having it at Grand Prairie Municipal (GPM). A better choice, and Mitch V. (@Mitch817) can provide more details on the pros and cons. I can tell you that it's difficult to get a hangar there due to a long waiting list.

3) Leaseback. In a single word, Don't. At least not until you have thoroughly researched the subject. Financially it rarely works out. Physically, you worked hard to find a nice airplane in good condition, just to turn it over to ham fisted students who don't care about the aircraft and are going to beat it to pieces. And you're on the hook for the repairs. And all the while it's in the shop, there won't be any revenue being generated.

Finally, since you're in my neighborhood, if you'd like to link up sometime to talk shop and see who can tell the best shaggy dog flying story, hit me up. I'm based at Denton and always enjoy getting to know other pilots and future pilots.

AggieMike thank you so much for all the info. Now knowing that about Addison. Going to look around Arlington and Gp or McKinney. Sorry Denton is a little too far. I am down to go to a meet up or fly in to network and meet some new people tho.

@texashikergal02 actually is the one who has handled the hangers at GPM and can answer housing questions. It does appear to me that there has been a short list lately for people getting into hangers around there though. I know several that have seemed to get a hanger lately that I don't think have been on the list very long.

Wanting to renew my thread about a possible partnership in the Dallas area. Preferably kept at KGPM or KGKY. Now that I have a private pilot cert. I want to get an ifr trainer and a family hauler. I have my mind set on a Mooney M20 F or J model. Looking at purchasing this time next year unless a great opportunity comes up. Some of the planes out there are tempting to get solo. Just kicking the idea around.

Wanting to renew my thread about a possible partnership in the Dallas area. Preferably kept at KGPM or KGKY. Now that I have a private pilot cert. I want to get an ifr trainer and a family hauler. I have my mind set on a Mooney M20 F or J model. Looking at purchasing this time next year unless a great opportunity comes up. Some of the planes out there are tempting to get solo. Just kicking the idea around.
Are you on FB and the North Texas Aviators group? If not, provide info and I’ll send invite. This is a good target market for your request

and if ever come up to my end of the metromess,
Let’s grab a burger..

Would be interested in something like this too! I'm in the DFW area and just got my PPL. Willing to entertain some options. I am currently looking for an IFR trainer as well... Planes seem to be selling like hot cakes right now.

Consider KRBD as well if GPM is close. That’s where I’m at and it’s a decent airport... I was teaching a few “kids” part-time in a leaseback 150 that sold this summer so as of right now there is only Coast Flight and a guy running a 172 part-time at Dallas Executive.

Are there any hangers available at KRBD? And if so estimated monthly cost? The instructors i plan to use are in GPM so thats the reason I prefer there. But if the price is right I can just fly the 10 min to gpm

Last edited:
Are there any hangers available at KRBD? And if so estimated monthly cost? The instructors i plane to use are in GPM so thats the reason I prefer there. But if the price is right I can just fly the 10 min to gpm

I *think* so, not sure on cost. Which instruction outfit?

Back