Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
salzarqa
Is Total Time:10200 too much on
1977 PIPER CHEROKEE 140/160?

My sources say no.

It’s better than 11,000

Depends. How was the plane used? If 10,000 of those hours consisted of students buzzing it around the pattern and slamming it onto the runway eight times every hour, then YES, too much.

Depends. How was the plane used? If 10,000 of those hours consisted of students buzzing it around the pattern and slamming it onto the runway eight times every hour, then YES, too much.
I can't imagine a Cherokee having 10k hours and not having loads of time in the pattern...I guess a pipeline aircraft might not, IDK.

I can't imagine a Cherokee having 10k hours and not having loads of time in the pattern...I guess a pipeline aircraft might not, IDK.
Check runs back in the day… I remember an Arrow that was nicknamed “Patches” that I believe was closer to 20,000 than to 15,000.

It would be for me, but I have yet to read an NTSB report where the probable cause was too many hours on the airframe...

Nobody here will be able to give you a good answer without seeing the aircraft in question and reviewing its history.

Maybe, maybe not, what was the maintenance like over those 10k plus hours? I get a kick out of people who say ‘avoid avoid - it was a flight school plane!’ when the reality is, the ex-flight school planes are oftentimes maintained far better than the personally owned aircraft that sat in a hangar for the better part of their life.

Check the number of 100 hour inspections in the log, then determine whether the wing spar inspection is required. If so, has it been done and with what results?

Considering there are others available with a lot less time at the same price or better? Probably.

Fake news... Archer I trained in had 10,000 hours as a primary trainer and flew great. Now, I did shake the wings as part of my preflight...

I also flew a Warrior with 15,000 which was also a trainer. It is about 20 years older than the archer and I would say not as well maintained... it felt a little more sloppy, but certainly not unsafe. I think the Dakota had about 12,000 on it, but of course it is more of a traveling plane.

Guarantee they already have been. If they haven’t, I’m willing to bet this aircraft qualifies for the SB.
Actually the factored service hours for the AD only accrue at 7:1in pt. 91 service. If the plane was never in commercial service and subject to 100 hour inspections, it could theoretically hit 35,000 before its due for inspection. It's not the bolts that break, but actually the spar itself, so replacing the bolts won't do anything but make an opportunity to damage the spar. That said, if I was buying a 10k+ hour pa28, I'd want the eddy current inspection done. All the high time pa28's I discussed above were inspected and passed, all after I was done flying them lol.

As others have said already, it's all in how it's maintained. There are solid 12,000 hour birds, and 2000 hour death traps.

Or you could be the smarter buyer, getting a lower price because it scares others away without good reason.

Fake news... Archer I trained in had 10,000 hours as a primary trainer and flew great. Now, I did shake the wings as part of my preflight...

And the rest of us were shaking while you were flying it. :D

Guarantee they already have been. If they haven’t, I’m willing to bet this aircraft qualifies for the SB.
To be fair it would only cost me parts so I would do it unless it was very recently completed. That video of the arrow folding up a wing on the checkride made my skin crawl.

A plane with those hours is probably in better shape than a hanger queen that hasn’t flown.

A well cared for cherokee is good for many, many more hours. I know of a few pushing well past 15k and still in very good shape.

The AD or the SB?

There are two wing AD for pa28. The more recent and famous one regarding cracked attachment hole does not apply to most Hershey bars. The taper wings I think the AD applies to all.

While there is always talks about these things can go on forever hours be darned. There is a Cessna opinion that 30,000 and that is it for their stuff. And we do have cracks in younger planes requiring inspection for all makes.

Lower time is better with aluminum with it’s unfortunate fatigue limits.

BTW, the 172 I almost flew this morning has 12,140.6 hours. Make that 12,140.7 now.

Someone left the airspeed cover off overnight and I had no airspeed on takeoff. Probably a mud dauber.

Uh oh…. (Looking at MY logbook)….

BTW, the 172 I almost flew this morning has 12,140.6 hours. Make that 12,140.7 now.

Someone left the airspeed cover off overnight and I had no airspeed on takeoff. Probably a mud dauber.
Yikes. I guess that is why you check for “air speed alive” when heading down the runway

Yikes. I guess that is why you check for “air speed alive” when heading down the runway

Yup. And why I only put .1 on the hobbs.

Putting .1 on the Hobbs from start to takeoff roll is impressive.

Maybe, maybe not. Small airport, short taxi, summertime. Not unreasonable or unsafe to get an airplane in the air with 6 minutes of startup.

Observation only, no implications made.

Maybe, maybe not. Small airport, short taxi, summertime. Not unreasonable or unsafe to get an airplane in the air with 6 minutes of startup.
Yeah, certainly nothing out of the ordinary. I can taxi from the hangar and easily be in the air by .1 at FGU.

When I saw it I immediately thought of just that. Startup close to departure end of runway, slow airport, VFR. I’m not as fortunate with consistent .1 but I’ve done it. We better not go any further with this because it will get into a discussion about oil temps before full power etc etc.!

I wouldn't buy it....
But I buy a plane, fly it for a year or two and sell it for more than I paid.
I always like having something different, I get bored quick.
Trying to sell a 10,000 hour airframe later down the road would be hard. Unless your buying it dirt cheap and selling it dirt cheap later on....

Back