Toilet Paper

I was just having lunch at whole foods. Everybody stocking up on bottled water.

that doesn't make sense having a virus doesn't cause them to turn off the water supply. I think what's happening is people feel the need to panic but they don't know how to panic. People feel like they need to be doing something they just don't know what it is.

Back in the 70's the truckers weren't moving a lot of toilet paper, I guess because of the gas crisis and there was a strike about the same time. People stocked up MAJOR ... am guessing "grandma" now tells everyone,"stock up on toilet paper!" and everyone runs like chickens with their heads cut off to the store. Am sure my father would roll over in his grave if he knew people PAID for water:eek::confused: Maybe after a hurricane if water were contaminated, it'd would make more sense, but I live in the high desert;)

I was just having lunch at whole foods. Everybody stocking up on bottled water.

that doesn't make sense having a virus doesn't cause them to turn off the water supply. I think what's happening is people feel the need to panic but they don't know how to panic. People feel like they need to be doing something they just don't know what it is.
Darn. That almost caused me to post a political comment,
But I refrained.

So.... with the TP shortage, will newspapers make a comeback..??
Or department store paper catalogs?

((me at age 5-8 would spend hours looking at the toys))

((then at age 11-14, would spend hours peeking at the lingerie section. This was before Victoria shared her secret))

I People feel like they need to be doing something they just don't know what it is.
Hey! You just quoted one of the FOI items about a reaction to anxiety
The responses to anxiety range from a hesitancy to act to the impulse to do something even if it’s wrong.

And one last thing. It must be really bad on the reservation because there is no Spam left on the shelves....

Photo I took today at Costco, of something I never thought I'd see:

IMG_5088.jpg

Toilet paper, I can almost understand because even if it has nothing to do with a virus, at least everybody uses it. But Spam? I had no idea that anybody in Iowa bought the stuff, and now it's being hoarded.

Aviation-related item that might be useful, and hasn't sold out yet on Amazon: O2 saturation monitor. The kind that costs $20 and clips on your finger. I fly with one, so that I can tweak my oxygen flow rate just right.

And I'm keeping one at home, because I'm guessing that it will be useful for gauging whether I should go to the emergency room, if I get infected by the coronavirus. That's since the most dangerous effect of the infection is shortness of breath.

bdbfbcc8-6476-4271-93ad-1e4300aef11f_1.7bd5d650eb1a3af3b43da98d4d9e639c.jpeg

Just checked....Spam supply OK. Don't need a trip to Costco to get some more while it is on sale.....

We have a half dozen rolls in our supply at the moment. It should last our family of 4 (3 of TP-using age) well over a week, probably two. I’ll just wait until the hysteria dies down. I did have to order my meat from the local butcher shop because people ran out and picked the local grocery stores clean.

TP is a big deal because the rectum must be taken care of

All the organs of the body were having a meeting, trying to decide who was the one in charge.

"I should be in charge," said the brain, "Because I run all the body's systems, so without me nothing would happen."

"I should be in charge," said the blood, "Because I circulate oxygen all over so without me you'd waste away."

"I should be in charge," said the stomach," Because I process food and give all of you energy."

"I should be in charge," said the legs, "Because I carry the body wherever it needs to go."

"I should be in charge," said the eyes, "Because I allow the body to see where it goes."

"I should be in charge," said the rectum, "Because I am responsible for waste removal."

All the other body parts laughed at the rectum and insulted him, so in a huff, he shut down tight.

Within a few days, the brain had a terrible headache, the stomach was bloated, the legs got wobbly, the eyes got watery, and the blood Was toxic.

They all decided that the rectum should be the boss.

Can someone explain to me why there is a run (so to speak) on toilet paper? As far as I know, the sickness does not cause diarrhea. Someone told me people use it to fabricate face masks, but I don't see people walking around with toilet paper wrapped around their heads either.

Our area doesn't see significant snow for 2-3 years at a time. News reports of any impending snow event that exceeds 2in will create the same panic buying behavior (milk, bread, TP). Now with the covid crisis, there is a chance of a 2 week curfew, but even the worst snowstorm in the mid atlantic won't keep you cut off from retail for more than. 2 days.

The irony of spelling and grammar errors in a post calling others "idiots" . . . .
That was my first reaction too. But I learned not to criticize other people's spellings too much, lest they turn the tables on me. My wife points out very regularly how badly I can mangle the language, even when I know better. (I'm not criticizing your post either. You were apparently just pointing out the irony, not criticizing the grammar)

As for the toilet paper situation, I still have at least a months supply on hand. Probably more if I can get my wife to conserve a bit. But I still check the stores on a regular basis and will pick up a few more rolls if they become available. Just in case.

About a week ago, I was in the store and saw a woman loading her cart with paper packages that I thought was toilet paper. She already had 4 in her cart and there were two more on the shelf and she wasn't slowing down. I picked up one of them and the lady glared at me like she was going to attack. Then I noticed they were paper towels; not toilet paper. So I put it in her cart. I didn't need paper towels. The glare of anger never left her face.

You can get a bidet, like a nice one with heated seat, air dry, etc from Amazon for a couple hundred bucks.

Then this problem goes away.

These work great. Add it to your existing toilet and you're set.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074MLZR3Y/ref=cm_sw_r_fm_apa_i_vdOBEb8KBGHQA

Well I'm ahead of the curve for once. First time I went to Japan for work I see they got these on damn near every toilet over there. I got hooked on them and bought me one for the house when I got home. Best money I ever spent and it keeps wads of TP out of the septic tank.

In Southeast Asia, coochie sprayers and no toilet paper are the norm, except in areas where Westerners frequent. I generally carry around packets of wet wipes for contingencies when I am there.

So yesterday I hit Costco in the morning. There was a guy in his 40/50s with three TP packages. 30 roles per package! Gets to the cashier, and objects when the cashier says there is a limit 1 per package on TP. Put the others back; so he objects and says he has a big house and needs three packages. The cashier asks how many people live there. He says just me. She starts laughing and says I am not even going to call the manager over to ask for an exception; it is one or none. He bought one and was ****ed and nasty; every time he started making a comment she would start laughing at him. It was rather funny; why would one person want 90 roles of Charmin?

Tim

it keeps wads of TP out of the septic tank.

Which is a good thing for septic tanks.

Everyone I know, including myself, that has a septic tank doesn't throw TP down the toilet. Instead it goes into the trash bag lined little trash can, the one that you step on the little pedal and the lid opens.

Everyone I know, including myself, that has a septic tank doesn't throw TP down the toilet. Instead it goes into the trash bag lined little trash can, the one that you step on the little pedal and the lid opens.

I think that is more of a desert thing. People around here with conventional septic systems and drain fields flush it all, mostly without any issues.

So yesterday I hit Costco in the morning. There was a guy in his 40/50s with three TP packages. 30 roles per package! Gets to the cashier, and objects when the cashier says there is a limit 1 per package on TP. Put the others back; so he objects and says he has a big house and needs three packages. The cashier asks how many people live there. He says just me. She starts laughing and says I am not even going to call the manager over to ask for an exception; it is one or none. He bought one and was ****ed and nasty; every time he started making a comment she would start laughing at him. It was rather funny; why would one person want 90 roles of Charmin?

Tim
Because he’s full of it?

Anyone monitoring eBay? Someone has to be trying to sell single rolls at a monster profit

Having lived in Korea for years, I refuse to have containers of poop-covered paper in my house. Ewwwww...

I spoke to the manager at the supermarket today. He said they stock toilet paper every night. They open a 8am and it's gone by 8:15am.

And over the past few weeks, I have noticed that the egg and meat counters always have a very sparse selection, but they always seem to have a few boxes of eggs, and a few packages of meats. The manager said they only put a few items out at a time. If they put out a bunch, a few people will take them all, so they sort of ration them this way. I asked why they don't do that with TP. Apparently, it causes a near riot and fights break out if they try to stock TP while customers are in the store.

I have been going to the grocery store every day just to observe people. I did buy 2 dog bones last trip but nothing else.
Just watching.

Yesterday I noticed there is a ton of bacon available.
Nobody is buying bacon. Peoples' priorities are out of whack.

I think I am going to start panic buying all the bacon.

BACON, there's a shortage of BACON? I know there is because I heard it on the internet.

Tim

Probably rolling cocaine into TP

I'll bet that annoying ice cream truck that drives around here on weekends could make a killing if he started selling toilet paper, too!

Back