Today's my big court trial - advice?

My brother is a GM mechanic at a Chevrolet dealer. He routinely e-mails me pictures of the Corvettes and Camaros that he test drives for dealer prep. I'll text him right now and ask him what he knows about it.

No limiter on the C5. I have had mine over 150mph on a nice straight stretch of highway.

"Yes. Not on the performance stuff."

I texted him back to ask - on the vehicles that do have speed limiters, what are they set to?

"Usually somewhere around 108mph"

So if Nick was driving one of those GMs (I don't know what he was driving) at the 108 they are claiming, he would have been at the top end of what it could do. I wonder if that 108mph they charged him with was chosen because if they said "109" all he'd have to do is say "not possible"?

My brother is a GM mechanic at a Chevrolet dealer. He routinely e-mails me pictures of the Corvettes and Camaros that he test drives for dealer prep. I'll text him right now and ask him what he knows about it.

Corvettes and Camaros aren't trucks and SUV's. I blew through 100mph several times when I had an '00 Camaro in college. Speed limiting the Corvette would be a good way to kill off the Corvette lineup if that were the goal, :rofl:.

I would imagine most any car won't have the limit set below 100 unless it's a little econo-box.

The 100mph "wall" has to do with not having enough horsepower, gearing, bad aerodynamics and nothing else.

BS, all of the big pickups now have 350+ horsepower and are very capable of far exceeding 100mph, but the manufacturers limit them to ~100mph. (Most truck tires are not speed rated)

This excerpt from the latest Car and Driver pickup truck test:

Top Speed 99 mph (gov ltd) 107 mph (gov ltd) 107 mph (gov ltd) 108 mph (gov ltd)

All four of the trucks tested (Chevy, Ford, Ram, Toyota) are governor limited. Many other cars these days are now governor as even some family sedans have big HP these days.

Corvettes and Camaros aren't trucks and SUV's. I blew through 100mph several times when I had an '00 Camaro in college. Speed limiting the Corvette would be a good way to kill off the Corvette lineup if that were the goal, :rofl:.

I would imagine most any car won't have the limit set below 100 unless it's a little econo-box.

Yes - not much point in owning one that's limited!

Late 90s GMs all hit the governor at 90, it cost a couple hundred bucks to get rid of it.

BS, all of the big pickups now have 350+ horsepower and are very capable of far exceeding 100mph, but the manufacturers limit them to ~100mph. (Most truck tires are not speed rated)

Top Speed 99 mph (gov ltd) 107 mph (gov ltd) 107 mph (gov ltd) 108 mph (gov ltd)

All four of the trucks tested (Chevy, Ford, Ram, Toyota) are governor limited. Many other cars these days are now governor as even some family sedans have big HP these days.

The 97 'sploder is limited to about 95, the '12 camaro is somewhat faster...

as for the limit, no doubt at all since acceleration suddenly stops

I haven't had the Colorado going that fast, but I did have a 94 Z28 that cut out at around 105. It was still accelerating and the fuel flow just cuts out.

If 100+ constituted reckless driving in California, three quarters of the population would be stripped of their license.

My 2014 Ford Raptor was limited to 109 mph. That got removed with the custom tune though when I had it modified (added a supercharger among other upgrades). The guy who did the work showed me a video of him accelerating it up to 140 mph :eek: I'd never go that fast in it though the tires for thing are not rated for that. BMW's and Mercedes Benzes are generally limited to 155 mph but in most cases they have a sports package that raises it to 165 mph. And again you can get that removed easily but I certainly don't have the need.

I think it's a credible defense, actually.

I've had a fair share of time spent watching others defend themselves against a traffic ticket. It was always the tedious little pedantic ticks who the judge got tired of and realized that his day would be vastly improved by dismissing the case and getting back to the links.

Bore em into submission with the FAR/AIM I say. It might even work. Just not for any reasons of merit. :D

2. The short time frame is actually to show that I couldn't have done it, not the officer. Basically, I had to go from 0-108 - 0 within 2 miles, and had to maintain 108 long enough to be measured. Also, the vascar line is less than 1/2 mile from the entrance to the interstate.
Not sure what you were driving, but saying that 2 miles wasn't enough time to get up to 108 mph might not be availing given that 0-100 in a quarter mile isn't too hard for a lot of production street vehicles. All things considered, I'd like to be there with Mark in the back row -- I could use the entertainment. And I could also drive you home after your license is suspended.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:..

Bubba in cell 3 is gonna have a good time tonight...;)

I heard that Dougco serves eggs Benedict and gourmet coffee for breakfast, Nick will enjoy it I'm sure.

And I could also drive you home after your license is suspended.

For sport, after a defendant had his license suspended in court, we would sometimes follow them to the courthouse parking lot and arrest them as they attempted to drive out.

Almost cheating fish-in-a-barrel style, but a stat's a stat!

For sport, after a defendant had his license suspended in court, we would sometimes follow them to the courthouse parking lot and arrest them as they attempted to drive out.

I think I saw that on a "dumb crooks" TV show once. Kinda like the time Smokey Yunick got mad and drove off in his NASCAR racer after they'd removed the fuel tank as part of an investigation into whether he had extra fuel hidden somewhere in the roll cage tubes. Sort of put a damper on his claims of innocence.

One LEO told me about a time he happened to head of of the courthouse after someone (multiple offender with prior suspensions) was convicted or operating after suspension. The timing was just right and he saw the Defendant nonchalantly hop into his car. Got about to the parking lot entrance.

I doubt if what you describe is all that unusual, especially when it comes to folks with multiple driving offenses and suspensions.

If 100+ constituted reckless driving in California, three quarters of the population would be stripped of their license.

I want to drive where you drive. Down here it's all housefraus in their minivans doing 60 in the fast lane... argh.

I was pulled over for 135 in a 55 at 2am one night in orange county. Didn't slow for the car behind me because its headlights were askew, and CHP cars never have skewed headlights.... doh. :mad2:

Took him 20 miles to catch me. The initial charge was Reckless Driving, but at trial the judge knocked it to "Speeding Over 100" -- both 2 points on the license, but no jail and a $500 fine.

It seems the reckless driving charge is at officer's discretion when it's >100, but both statutes exist to getcha.

:dunno:

Now, now, don't scare anybody. Not too much chance of that with a traffic infraction. Nick's not likely to do anything to get the judge =that= ****ed off.

Nick should be in jail about right now....:yes:....:D.........:hairraise:

You are correct, I amended my statement above after a bit of digging :)

I know he's not going to use my advice because you never beat traffic tickets based on the facts - you beat them based on the rules of evidence, the legal definitions and the inability to see the infraction.

As I said ' how does the officer know the marks are 1/2 mile apart?"

someone told him they were - which is hearsay - meaning the calculation needs to be tossed because an essential element of the calculation is based on hearsay - what he's left with is the cops estimate of speed. . . . if he has testified to that. If he never testifies to that - then its not proper re-direct by the state. . . . .

Yet - he knows better.

Which is to say about 100 drivers.

I see what you did there....

I want to drive where you drive. Down here it's all housefraus in their minivans doing 60 in the fast lane... argh.

I was pulled over for 135 in a 55 at 2am one night in orange county. Didn't slow for the car behind me because its headlights were askew, and CHP cars never have skewed headlights.... doh. :mad2:

Took him 20 miles to catch me. The initial charge was Reckless Driving, but at trial the judge knocked it to "Speeding Over 100" -- both 2 points on the license, but no jail and a $500 fine.

It seems the reckless driving charge is at officer's discretion when it's >100, but both statutes exist to getcha.

:dunno:

Yeah pretty much. I got clocked once at 107 on the I-5 (no traffic for miles) but got written up for 90. Still an expensive ticket, but I framed it to prove that my Corolla could do 107 when I sold it.

Yeah pretty much. I got clocked once at 107 on the I-5 (no traffic for miles) but got written up for 90. Still an expensive ticket, but I framed it to prove that my Corolla could do 107 when I sold it.

And someone actually believed that..:goofy::goofy:

Nope, with perhaps a few exceptions, none of the US made/sold cars or light trucks have speed governors. Only SOME German cars have such governors and they are set to 155mph (250k/h - this is due to a gentleman’s agreement among German manufacturers since the 90s i think that they choose when to follow anyway)

The 100mph "wall" has to do with not having enough horsepower, gearing, bad aerodynamics and nothing else.

EDIT: after some looking around, apparently some new light trucks are limited due to tires... i stand a bit corrected :)

I promise my 300HP truck has enough power to bust through 100mph, it will accelerate steadily up until the point it abruptly stops, lol. It's not as if it will run and slowly get to a point were it's gearing or drag-limited. Only found that out running down I-35 to Texas and having to try and pass two guys intentionally holding up traffic by running side-by-side at 65mph. I passed them on the shoulder. :yesnod:

Anything on the road basically will bust 100mph if it doesn't have a governor. It really doesn't take much.

It's all about the money folks.

Get the Waze app and use it.

Get a CB and use it.

Our "bears" in the blue wrappers are probably still looking for you. :yes: :D

Well, they would have had to have seen me. I was on 131 and they have a barrier that's taller than my car is, so as long as I don't run up on any I'm good. :D

My youngest sister in law was clocked going 96 in a Dodge Colt back in the mid-80's! I don't even think the cop that gave her the ticket believed it would go that fast! :D

I know he's not going to use my advice because you never beat traffic tickets based on the facts - you beat them based on the rules of evidence, the legal definitions and the inability to see the infraction.

As I said ' how does the officer know the marks are 1/2 mile apart?"

someone told him they were - which is hearsay - meaning the calculation needs to be tossed because an essential element of the calculation is based on hearsay - what he's left with is the cops estimate of speed. . . . if he has testified to that. If he never testifies to that - then its not proper re-direct by the state. . . . .

Yet - he knows better.

I remember a post related to this about a year ago and always liked your style...

I think then you were pressing the issue of radar gun calibration, proper use, certification, etc...

I remember a post related to this about a year ago and always liked your style...

I think then you were pressing the issue of radar gun calibration, proper use, certification, etc...

I went into that, the response I got from the magistrate was "Yes, we know radar guns aren't always accurate, but if I let you go, I have to let everyone go."

I won on appeal with video evidence (which I didn't have at the first hearing). Actually it was dropped by the DA when it turned out that the video evidence did not agree with what the officer claimed, and they probably didn't want to have to find him guilty of perjury. Thin blue line and all.

Last edited:
Nick still has not checked in........:confused::confused::confused:...

Maybe we can get AP to bake a cake with a hacksaw blade in it..:D:D..:redface:

Back