To my MC friends

I was tired of explaining to people looking over my shoulder that this really WAS a forum for PILOTs and not, well, you know......

It's a necessity for all segments of flying.

I see. I lurked over there briefly a few years ago (about the time I joined POA) and it didn't take long to determine the place was jacked. Haven't been back since.

How so? This is the only pilot forum I browse.

How so? This is the only pilot forum I browse.

A lot of the nit-picking, chest thumping that people complain about here, but 10 x worse AND very heavily moderated on top of it.

And less overall sense of genuine expertise. Seemed like fewer true professional pilots.

Before I found POA I was visiting UseNet ( Rec Aviation Homebuilt, piloting, etc etc....

Now that was the wild west on those sites...:yikes::eek::hairraise:......:redface:

Last edited:
I see. I lurked over there briefly a few years ago (about the time I joined POA) and it didn't take long to determine the place was jacked. Haven't been back since.

Truer words rarely ever spoken...

What do you suppose took them so long to discern a thread contained both politics and religion?

Maybe no one reported it?

Is there even a way to report a thread as being in the wrong place? It's not really the same as a bad post, is it? Or should we hit the bad post button to given the MC a heads-up?

A lot of the nit-picking, chest thumping that people complain about here, but 10 x worse AND very heavily moderated on top of it.

And less overall sense of genuine expertise. Seemed like fewer true professional pilots.

It used to be, definitely, but anymore I'm not so sure. The civility here has declined significantly over the last 5 years or so. Likely this place is a victim of its own success.

Threads like this one - questioning every move the MC makes, even though they remain quite tolerant - are also quite unneccesary and unproductive.

It used to be, definitely, but anymore I'm not so sure. The civility here has declined significantly over the last 5 years or so. Likely this place is a victim of its own success.

Threads like this one - questioning every move the MC makes, even though they remain quite tolerant - are also quite unneccesary and unproductive.
Probably true to a point. But I see the same issues growing at just about every internet forum (aviation or otherwise). Like you and Ed have pointed out many times, the biggest difference I have seen here is that when I first joined 5 years ago, it seemed like most of the frequent posters actually knew each other through POA meet-ups and fly-ins. There was still a fair amount of nit-picking and correcting each other's posts (that really hasn't changed), but threads didn't quite degrade into name calling. People generally gave each other good natured ribbings but there was much more of a family feel. That is the biggest thing missing these days - that sense of community.

But that said, I haven't found anything like that on other boards. The only other forum I frequent is ProPilotWorld, which has a little different feel, more professionally related info, but is also a pay site, limited to those with a verified Comm license or higher, so you eliminate some of the riff-raff that frequents other aviaton boards.

As far as questioning every move of the MC, I don't think that is really what is going on here. People ask a basic question about the sudden departure of a long time POA resident and then the thread devolves into our typical banter, much of which has nothing to do with the initial subject.

I will make a joke or two at MC expense, but have absolutely no complaints about the moderation here.

As far as questioning every move of the MC, I don't think that is really what is going on here. People ask a basic question about the sudden departure of a long time POA resident and then the thread devolves into our typical banter, much of which has nothing to do with the initial subject.

I will make a joke or two at MC expense, but have absolutely no complaints about the moderation here.

+1

I thought that this was just a playful retort. If only I had gotten in between the post in the lock to say that it wasn't about Ron anymore, so they didn't need to worry :rofl:

Heck.. I was sparring with MAKG about the CAP and Mari locked the thread after my last post, Kinda looks like she used me as the bad apple... Altho she "might" be right.......:redface::redface::D

If they are going to be "tolerant" then they need to change the rules they've written to match that tolerance. As it is, they are applying the written rules so inconsistently that they may as well not bother.

And how hard would it have been to simply move AuntPeggy's thread to the SZ versus closing it?

Lastly, I don't question every move the MC makes - just the ones I see as unnecessary and unproductive.

+1

I thought that this was just a playful retort. If only I had gotten in between the post in the lock to say that it wasn't about Ron anymore, so they didn't need to worry :rofl:
IBTL - In before thread lock

I feel like I walked into a movie halfway through. I have no idea what anyone is talking about.

Mari is a mod? huh.

I always thought the red board was too heavy-handed. I enjoy the POA forums, but there really needs to be tighter and more consistent oversight. If it were me, the rules of conduct would be widened a little, and then consistently enforced.

And I'm as guilty as anyone when it comes to pushing the envelope.

I feel like I walked into a movie halfway through. I have no idea what anyone is talking about.

Mari is a mod? huh.

I always thought the red board was too heavy-handed. I enjoy the POA forums, but there really needs to be tighter and more consistent oversight. If it were me, the rules of conduct would be widened a little, and then consistently enforced.

And I'm as guilty as anyone when it comes to pushing the envelope.

NAH! I like my women just a little on the trashy side. :D

Probably true to a point. But I see the same issues growing at just about every internet forum (aviation or otherwise). Like you and Ed have pointed out many times, the biggest difference I have seen here is that when I first joined 5 years ago, it seemed like most of the frequent posters actually knew each other through POA meet-ups and fly-ins. There was still a fair amount of nit-picking and correcting each other's posts (that really hasn't changed), but threads didn't quite degrade into name calling. People generally gave each other good natured ribbings but there was much more of a family feel. That is the biggest thing missing these days - that sense of community.

But that said, I haven't found anything like that on other boards. The only other forum I frequent is ProPilotWorld, which has a little different feel, more professionally related info, but is also a pay site, limited to those with a verified Comm license or higher, so you eliminate some of the riff-raff that frequents other aviaton boards.

You're one to talk, really. :rolleyes2:

You're one to talk, really. :rolleyes2:

pot_calls_kettle_black.jpg

"It's the ONLY way to fly!"

https://youtu.be/i415QwSj0Og

not only were there several funny parts in that short clip, but the airplane is sweet!

"press the button marked 'Booze'"

"don't make them so sweet this time"

"what could happen to an old fashioned?"

:)

I had to find out what the plane was, it's beautiful. Do they come stock with the booze button, or is that a STC thing? I'm going to ask the place where I rent from to have those installed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beechcraft_Model_18

Probably true to a point. But I see the same issues growing at just about every internet forum (aviation or otherwise). Like you and Ed have pointed out many times, the biggest difference I have seen here is that when I first joined 5 years ago, it seemed like most of the frequent posters actually knew each other through POA meet-ups and fly-ins.

Isn't it funny how that works? Come to Grant's party in Camp Scholler, or our party in the North 40 (both at Oshkosh) and you will meet an amazing percentage of regular POA posters.

By the end of these parties each year everyone is great friends, and we all look forward to seeing each other again. Heck, I've even got a great photo of Steingar and Geico HUGGING EACH OTHER from last year.

Can you imagine THAT? :D

Although there are always exceptions to every rule, there are three things that you can say with almost 100% accuracy about the worst of POA's (and the Red Board's) on-line curmudgeons:

1. They rarely, if ever, actually fly.
2. They never show up at Oshkosh.
3. You will never meet them in person.

Isn't it funny how that works? Come to Grant's party in Camp Scholler, or our party in the North 40 (both at Oshkosh) and you will meet an amazing percentage of regular POA posters.

By the end of these parties each year everyone is great friends, and we all look forward to seeing each other again. Heck, I've even got a great photo of Steingar and Geico HUGGING EACH OTHER from last year.

Can you imagine THAT? :D

Although there are always exceptions to every rule, there are three things that you can say with almost 100% accuracy about the worst of POA's (and the Red Board's) on-line curmudgeons:

Well, I won't be able to make it to OSH, but am hoping to get to Gaston's this year!

If they are going to be "tolerant" then they need to change the rules they've written to match that tolerance. As it is, they are applying the written rules so inconsistently that they may as well not bother.

And how hard would it have been to simply move AuntPeggy's thread to the SZ versus closing it?

Lastly, I don't question every move the MC makes - just the ones I see as unnecessary and unproductive.

Remind me if you would please.

How much do you pay to be here?

Last edited:
Remind me of you would please.

Depends on how much he values his time.
Without users, a forum has no value. My guess ( from having sold forum sites in the past) is this site is worth into 6 figures due to the content created by volunteers. It's worth about $7 without.

Although there are always exceptions to every rule, there are three things that you can say with almost 100% accuracy about the worst A's (and the Red Board's) on-line curmudgeons:

We've hosted a fly-in every year since 2006, and I've attended at least 15 others. Where have you been?

Spoken by the guy who says he doesn't do OSH?

sarcasm. :)

I would do oshkosh if 99.99 percent of the people didn't show up. That many people in one place and the IQ just goes downhill. People making noise with no regard to others trying to sleep next door. Drunk people falling into someone else's tent. Others taking a leak in your campsite because they don't want to head to the portajohn. Wandering aimlessly and not realizing you are in the way of everyone. And those are people from THIS BOARD. Yeah, when you act like a dickbag at OSH it gets around. Now multiply that by 1000, and factor in it gets worse when you don't know the other strangers there. Tell me why I would want to have someone ****ing on my tent and keeping me up well beyond the time I want to go to sleep?

Remind me of you would please.

A tiny amount, I admit. I think I'm out maybe $30 for paying zeemaps.com to remove ads from the member map I took the initiative in creating. Plus some time in tweeking it and minor maintenance - though AuntPeggy has graciously taken over the latter job when I thought I'd be spending more time on http://www.sci-nanotech.com/ and not much here.

Hmm. Only other thing is a few bucks long distance charges chatting with Kimberly trying to arrange the closest thing to a PoA fly-in we've had out on the west coast. Nothing compared to the efforts and expenses put forth by others for PoA fly-ins east of the Rockies.

Gosh, I guess this means I'm a big jerk or meanie, eh?

Though I do realize you're attempting to invoke the principle of reciprocity guilt to make me feel terrible or bad about my criticism, I'm afraid I really am too much of a jerk to be swayed by that. Sorry. Not. Volunteers who find it difficult to give the job the effort that is needed should find their own replacement (or request help if they have a problem even with that) and then resign. (Our rural fire district depends on its volunteers, so for some things a volunteer can't put in half-efforts and expect to continue as a volunteer.)

Anyway, perhaps you can answer this - why do you suppose the MC closed AuntPeggy's "To my gay friends" thread 12 days after it was realized very early (and reported in post 4!) by all astute observers that it belonged (per the alleged rules) in the Spin Zone? And when the MC finally acted, why didn't they simply move it as requested and then post a thread telling interested parties where they could go find it? It's almost as if the MC/PoA has it in for AuntPeggy's threads. (It was that aspect that had me put only a ROFL emoticon in the first post of this thread. I found the MC funny.)

(Oh yeah - I didn't even notice that my thread about Ron Levy's account had been closed about the same time as the "To my gay friends" thread. I have no objection to the MC closing my thread at all. It was nice that the MC actually gave a reasonable reason for the closure of that thread. See, I don't criticize all the actions of the MC! Besides, I don't know where to feed the coins to get credit allowance for more criticism.)

Back