To my MC friends

We've hosted a fly-in every year since 2006, and I've attended at least 15 others. Where have you been?
Who is "we"? And where is this fly-in held?

You assume we know what you're talking about, but I, for one, don't. Are you talking about Gaston's?

There is a whole subforum under "Cool Places to Fly" dedicated to the 6Y9 Fly-in.

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37

People often refer to it. I'm not sure why you haven't noticed.
This? https://www.airnav.com/airport/6Y9

One potential problem, if this is meant to be an "official" POA fly-in: I know quite a few people who won't do a grass strip. I personally don't understand that fear, but it will tend to eliminate a fair number of pilots who would otherwise attend.

This? https://www.airnav.com/airport/6Y9

One potential problem, if this is meant to be an "official" POA fly-in: I know quite a few people who won't do a grass strip. I personally don't understand that fear, but it will tend to eliminate a fair number of pilots who would otherwise attend.
Except by that logic, Gastons also has the same problem, yet by all accounts, that fly-in has been a huge success. Those who don't do grass strips land at a nearby field with a paved runway and beg a ride. Although there aren't any paved runway fields that close to 6Y9, several people (including the owners) have, in the past, offered rides to grass-phobic pilots from places like LNL and SAW.

(Of course, that's no guarantee that those offers will be open in the future, just that folks hosting a fly-in often go to great lengths to quash excu er, concerns that might keep some people away.)

Which is why we have offered and have picked people up at LNL either by ground or air vehicle. If you ever bothered to look at the world that doesn't revolve around Jay you would know that. Asking a lot, I know. It's only had its own forum since before you went to Texas. Hell, you even met two of the hosts face to face, though you probably don't remember.

Which is why we have offered and have picked people up at LNL either by ground or air vehicle. If you ever bothered to look at the world that doesn't revolve around Jay you would know that. Asking a lot, I know. It's only had its own forum since before you went to Texas. Hell, you even met two of the hosts face to face, though you probably don't remember.
Do you have ANY idea how many aviation events we attend in support of the hotel? lol

Do you have ANY idea how many pilots I have met, with two aviation themed hotels for the last 13 years?

What's really funny, now, is that I get guys who stayed with us in Iowa, back in 2003, who are visibly miffed that I have no idea who they are in 2015. ;)

Worse, I ain't getting any younger, and my memory seems to be over full. I was never worth a damn with names, but I'm at the point where I now have to meet you three or four times in order to "know" you.

So, I apologize if I've met you and don't know you. I've heard of the 6Y9 fly in, but didn't realize it was something "officially" attached to POA.

Just curious: How did a big group like POA end up with its fly in at a little grass strip in Michigan? I presume it goes back to a time before it was so large?

Tell us the history of the start of POA -- I don't think I've ever heard it!

I think the whole story is here for the research. Check out posts by EdFred, Dizaster, and El Con. Well, for the history of 6Y9 at least.

The Blue Board was a result of AOPA shutting its board down for awhile in 2005 IIRC. That history can probably be researched here also.

I think the whole story is here for the research. Check out posts by EdFred, Dizaster, and El Con. Well, for the history of 6Y9 at least.

The Blue Board was a result of AOPA shutting its board down for awhile in 2005 IIRC. That history can probably be researched here also.
Hmmm. With a glorious 10 year record, now, maybe it's time for a "History of POA" sticky?

Who is "we"? And where is this fly-in held?

You assume we know what you're talking about, but I, for one, don't. Are you talking about Gaston's?

Man, I thought this sounded like déjà vu all over again and with a simple search I found that I was right. Jay, your memory is shorter than my dick...and then when someone calls you on it you become defensive and a cocky ass.

I could go on to be a dick myself but I'll refrain (I know...so unlike me) rather I'll just offer exhibit A from July of just last year!:

Just curious: What is/was the evolution of this fly-in?

Is it just for POA people? Why Sidnaw, MI?

Not being a smart ass...serious question.

How does someone who's been here since 2008 and has over 8,000 posts not know this?

I really blew me away that you asked.

A failing on my part, I guess. I tend to tune out stuff that is over a thousand miles away.

Of course, I didn't know I had 8,000+ posts, either. Damn, I've wasted a lot of time here! :)

Kind I surprised me too.
The guy that lived in Iowa did not know. Now that he lives in Texas he finds out about it. :)

Man, I thought this sounded like déjà vu all over again and with a simple search I found that I was right. Jay, your memory is shorter than my dick...and then when someone calls you on it you become defensive and a cocky ass.

I could go on to be a dick myself but I'll refrain (I know...so unlike me) rather I'll just offer exhibit A from July of just last year!:
Believe it or not, I have a few other things on my plate. lol This was apparently not important enough for me to waste a brain cell on.

Don't feel bad -- I've forgotten more important things. ;)

So a fly in at a grass strip in Michigan is an official POA event. Got it. I will do my best to remember that until supper tomorrow night.

But the idea of an official sticky for the history of POA is still a good one, methinks. I'd bet that most people are unaware of it, and, over time, that will only get worse.

So...you become more arrogant yet. That's pretty sweet.

there are three things that you can say with almost 100% accuracy about the worst of POA's (and the Red Board's) on-line curmudgeons:

1. They rarely, if ever, actually fly.
2. They never show up at a PoA fly-in because the attitude is that those fly-ins are not important enough for me to waste a brain cell on..
3. You will never meet them in person.

FTFY

Last edited:
So...you become more arrogant yet. That's pretty sweet.

FTFY
Another douchebag post? What the heck is it to you if I remembered...anything? Ever?

I will say this, though: You're gonna make someone a great secretary, some day. Good grief, you remember things a perfect stranger said a YEAR ago, on an obscure aviation website!

That's GOT to be a marketable skill! lol
;)

Maybe because he's on the banned list? Does that trigger exemption from showing in search results?

Yeah, I guess it would. Didn't know he was banned and I wish he wasn't. I didn't agree with him all the time, but I'm not so dumb as to think I am always right.
Agree with this. He struck me as a sly and cynical individual who excelled at trolling, but could also be decent and helpful. I doubt his outlandish statements in the closed thread were intended sincerely, more likely an attempt to get the thread moved to the SZ.

Also: we don't know whether the ban is permanent.

If not permanent, wouldn't it be listed as "suspended" rather than "banned"?

Agree with this. He struck me as a sly and cynical individual who excelled at trolling, but could also be decent and helpful. I doubt his outlandish statements in the closed thread were intended sincerely, more likely an attempt to get the thread moved to the SZ.

His last post was this: http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1818334#post1818334
And I can see why it would trigger a ban, although I admit I have never read the rules for this site.

His last post was this: http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1818334#post1818334
And I can see why it would trigger a ban, although I admit I have never read the rules for this site.

I don't think what he said was offensive to anybody. He brings an interesting point to the table: Why would you want to MAKE somebody take that role in your marriage and wedding? I hadn't considered it before, either.

Sure it was a bit poorly typed, but plenty of worse crap gets said around here without a ban. For some reason I doubt that'd be it.

If only it was a letter longer so you could say that without saying anything!

IBTFL

Not really a valid test because the quote may have an effect, as may this comment. D'oh!

Based on the cumulative history, I would have pulled that trigger ages ago, but that is why I am not in charge here.

At the same time, I have to say that some of the folks who are praising the MC for locking the thread that shall not be named, are the reason that I would have locked it ages ago, so I assume that there are those who think those same thoughts about me.

I am not so thick-skinned to say that it doesn't bother me, but I am not so thin-skinned that it ruins my day either. I just feel like it ruins a place that used to be fun.

Spoilers gotta spoil. Thank you for your efforts:no::nono::mad2:

I don't think what he said was offensive to anybody. He brings an interesting point to the table: Why would you want to MAKE somebody take that role in your marriage and wedding? I hadn't considered it before, either.

Sure it was a bit poorly typed, but plenty of worse crap gets said around here without a ban. For some reason I doubt that'd be it.

I think the issue is not his initial point, but his final sentence.

It is my understanding that sometimes the MC deletes the post(s) that led to the banning/suspension.

Yes they do. When specific posts go way over the line (and usually waaaaayover), MC will delete the offensive post(s).

Ah, I've had him on ignore for a couple years.

I used to have him on ignore along with a dozen or so others but I found that to be silly because I often 'peeked' at their posts anyway if it was in a thread that I was interested in.

I found it to be far more effective to put threads on ignore. That way there is no temptation because they don't appear at all unless you drill down deep into the user CP. Peggy's "gay friends" thread went on ignore almost immediately because it was easy to see that it would become a pizzing contest, and the Ron Levy thread after a few days.

I actually grew to appreciate Greg's take on things and warmed up to him but that was likely because I didn't see his posts in the contentious threads because they were on ignore.

I don't have anyone on my ignore list...well until yesterday when I put Jay on it. Even I have my limits.

Back