Tips for Flying in the Right Seat?

LastXdeth

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
LastXdeth
Just started flying CFI training and trying to chew bubble gum and talk at the same time....

I believe I'm getting a weird sight picture flying from the right seat because my maneuvers (both private and commercial) are pretty mediocre. Most of all, I'm sideloading my landings and landing hard.

Are there any flying tips that y'all vets can provide to a newbie that wants to teach?

Maybe sit right seat while a CFI or other competent pilot flies from the left and get a feel for the fight picture. Then do some flying from the right seat with that person in the left seat for a couple of hours trying to perform to certification standards.

Disclaimer: I’m not a CFI. Just applying my own brand of logic and common sense.

It starts with taxi and your CFI keeping you centerline so you can start to see the new picture. Also look straight ahead and not at an angle across the propeller.

3 Simple steps:

Practice, practice, practice.

Taxiing on center line helped me to get that sight picture to stay aligned with the center line on landings.

Once you get it, it’s forever. You can move on to regionals, corporate, majors, and you’ll transition seamlessly (flare height another story).

Close your right eye. You’re too used to that one being next to the longitudinal axis of the aircraft. You need to train the other eye.

oh, and practice, lots of practice.

Last edited:
Sikorsky S-76 RFM, Limitation section: "Minimum crew is one pilot who SHALL be seated in the right seat."

You get used to it. I was an FO for a long time, when I went back to Capt, I couldn't land on the centerline. took me probably a month to find the centerline, and another month to get comfy. Even though I was flying from both seats in the Sim and flying the Bonanza. So don't place to much thought on it. It will come.

Quit sucking, it will get better. Sometimes landing you may have to shut up and just fly. Talking through touchdown is tough. Pretty soon, the left seat will be funky.

Back