Threat to aviation, please help

James331

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
James331
Hey guys,

As we all know aviation in the US is one of the thing we can still say we are number one in the world in. Sadly some folks in congress are looking to privatize ATC and bring about user fees, charging us per flight, not only would this encourage folks to not talk to ATC, it would also be a major hit to what we do, and hurt people who put food on the table with aviation.

PLEASE fill this out and let your local congress critter know you don't want want to screw with our existing and working system. Protect GA folks!

https://www.nbaa.org/advocacy/contact/?ISSUE=nbaa0086

How do you know it is a threat? What's the plan? Is it airlines? Business aviation? small GA?

I can legally fly everywhere I go without talking to a soul if I wanted to.

Who need's 'em?

Go broke for all I care.

Not sure I agree that ATC being privatized means anything to GA by and large. I much prefer the flights where I don't even speak to them, so it wouldn't matter either way to me.

Problem is their proposal will be to tax just group A.

Then after the dust settles, add a tax to group B.

Before you know it, everyone is getting screwed.

Such as:

For now only people that fly in class A, B, or C need ADS-B out. Then eventually they will add class D & E.

After everyone is required to equip with ADS-B out, they will be billing every one per mile they traverse the earth in their aircraft.

Last edited:
Problem is their proposal will be to tax just group A.

Then after the dust settles, add a tax to group B.

Before you know it, everyone is getting screwed.

Such as:

For now only people that fly in class A, B, or C need ADS-B out. Then eventually they will add class D & E.

Where is a copy of the proposal? Does it explain who group A and B are?

I can legally fly everywhere I go without talking to a soul if I wanted to.

Who need's 'em?

Go broke for all I care.

So you don't see where this is going?

You want the US to slowly turn into Europe aviation wise?

Exactly. This just isn't about ATC going private. Which for those of us who fly IFR or COM we do need them, this is the first step to charging GA for every little thing. People here don't realize the state of GA outside the states. Europe is the most healthy and it looks nothing like GA in the states. Gliders are everywhere because that's about all they can afford. The ramps have very few SE piston planes on them. Just too expensive to operate with all the little fees here and there. That and the fact 100 LL is crazy expensive.

I enjoy the conversation, but hope you guys are signing that link too :)

There are many that want to see us go that way. The U.S. used to be the country everyone wanted to come to and/or imitate. Over the past several years, our leadership has been trying to get us conformed with Europe in just about everything. I for one, don't think Europe is worth imitating and definitely don't think they have all the answers. I am writing my congressman and making a donation to the AOPA PAC. Whether you fly in controlled airspace now or not, this will not be a good thing for you. Please stop, think and wake up!

There are many that want to see us go that way. The U.S. used to be the country everyone wanted to come to and/or imitate. Over the past several years, our leadership has been trying to get us conformed with Europe in just about everything. I for one, don't think Europe is worth imitating and definitely don't think they have all the answers. I am writing my congressman and making a donation to the AOPA PAC. Whether you fly in controlled airspace now or not, this will not be a good thing for you. Please stop, think and wake up!

That.

Also consider NBAA, they seem to be getting more done compared to AOPA nowadays

I enjoy the conversation, but hope you guys are signing that link too :)

I signed it (or something similar to it) a few months ago and just last week received an email from California's senior US senator:

Dianne Feinstein said:
Dear Mr. ******:

Thank you for writing to express your concerns about proposals to privatize the Federal Aviation Administration's (FAA) Air Traffic Control System. I appreciate hearing your views as an FAA employee, and I sincerely apologize for the delay in my response, which was in part the result of ongoing legislative developments.

I believe that the existence of the FAA is critical to ensuring a safe and efficient aerospace system in our country, and I strongly support its mission. In my view, it is unacceptable to continue funding FAA through stop-gap measures, particularly when safety critical employees, such as air traffic controllers, are required to work without pay in the event of a government shutdown or lapse in authorization.

Congress is expected to take up a long-term FAA authorization bill before the current authorization expires in March 2016. I understand you are concerned by reports that the House of Representatives is considering proposals to privatize air traffic control, in negotiation with airlines and air traffic controller unions. However, the legislation has not been drafted or publically released yet.

Please know that I have carefully noted your opposition to any privatization of FAA's operations, and will be mindful of your letter when the Senate considers authorization legislation in the future.

Again, thank you for your letter. I hope you will continue to contact me regarding issues of importance to you. Should you have any further questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact my Washington, D.C., office at (202) 224-3841. Best regards.

Sincerely yours,

Dianne Feinstein
United States Senator

[emphasis mine; typos hers]

Hey guys,

As we all know aviation in the US is one of the thing we can still say we are number one in the world in. Sadly some folks in congress are looking to privatize ATC and bring about user fees, charging us per flight, not only would this encourage folks to not talk to ATC, it would also be a major hit to what we do, and hurt people who put food on the table with aviation.

PLEASE fill this out and let your local congress critter know you don't want want to screw with our existing and working system. Protect GA folks!

https://www.nbaa.org/advocacy/contact/?ISSUE=nbaa0086

What is the actual "threat"?

The page you link to seems to be just a mailing list collector, to get information from you.

It does not specifically mention what "threat" is. If you click around enough, you eventually get to an old article about some Republican from Pennsylvania that was going to maybe do something in the future.

Is there a bill?

What is the "contact" for the congressman?

Great, give out my personal information to be included into numerous databases and to be sold to endless mailing list. :rolleyes2:

No thanks. :nonod: :nono:

What is the actual "threat"?

The page you link to seems to be just a mailing list collector, to get information from you.

It does not specifically mention what "threat" is. If you click around enough, you eventually get to an old article about some Republican from Pennsylvania that was going to maybe do something in the future.

Is there a bill?

What is the "contact" for the congressman?

It asks for the information to make a letter and email it to your states reps. This is what it sends.

I'm an Owner at XXXXXX, located in XXXX, and I am sending this letter to request that you oppose any attempt by Congress to privatize the air traffic control system and fund it with user fees on general aviation.

Attempts are being made to require all users of our aviation system to pay user fees and strip Congress of its traditional oversight role for funding and governance of the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), by turning that authority over to a self-interested "board," to determine when companies using business aviation can fly, how much it will cost to do so, and what type of payment - including user fees - will be demanded of operators.

Privatized systems in foreign countries are funded with user fees that require a new bureaucracy of billing agents, collectors and auditors. They impose a huge administrative burden on those who have to pay the fees to operate in what is effectively a monopoly system. We do not need to create some new "Sky-R-S" to collect aviation fees in the United States. General aviation in the U.S. has always contributed to the aviation system through fuel taxes that are easily collected and efficiently administered, and should continue to do so.

Further, the skies over the U.S. are a national asset, and the general aviation community is committed to ensuring that the future funding and subsequent design of the national air transportation system will benefit all Americans.

There are only 500 or so cities in the United States that have scheduled airline service. But there are over 5,000 small towns in the U.S. with airports that provide access to general aviation, including business aviation. Access to airports, and to the nation's airspace, creates jobs, generates economic activity, and helps make America's aviation system work for all Americans. In fact, general aviation supports more than a million jobs and generates more than $200 billion in economic activity each year.

Privatizing our air traffic control system could jeopardize these jobs and economic activity by threatening access for general aviation to airports and airspace.

Protect Americans' freedom to safely fly without excessive fees and protect jobs and economic activity by saying no user fees and privatizing our air traffic control system.

Dear XXX,

Thank you for supporting the business aviation community with your message opposing a privatized air traffic control system funded with user fees to the members of Congress representing XXXX It is important that the people in our industry remind policymakers in Washington that all of general aviation, including people and companies that rely on a business aircraft, have long opposed user fees and that fuel taxes are the best way for general aviation to pay for use of the aviation system.

If you have any questions or need more information, I invite you to contact NBAA's offices at any time, at (202) 783-9000. We will be glad to assist you.

Your message was delivered to:
- Rep. XXXX
- Sen. XXXX
- Sen. XXXX

Again, thanks, XXXX, for your support.

Sincerely,

Ed Bolen
NBAA President and CEO

I signed it (or something similar to it) a few months ago and just last week received an email from California's senior US senator:

[emphasis mine; typos hers]

I see the publically, what's the other?

I'm going to make this comment bold, sorry guys, you really need to see this...

https://www.faa.gov/about/budget/aatf/

Go to that website and you can see exactly how the FAA is funded. Click on the Airport and Airway Reports link, pick any fiscal year and then any month. I picked April 2015 which shows the balance sheet for 10/01/14 to 04/30/15. You can clearly see that over 1.2 BILLON dollars was generated from taxes during that time period on aviation fuel alone.

James, you are acting like the government provides ATC for free. The privatization of parts of aviation would likely lead to cutbacks on unnecessary taxes but I would have to take a look at the proposed bill to verify. My main point is that the government is not doing us any favors, they are collecting their dues just as any private entity would to keep the system running.

And to Dianne Feinstein, it would be illegal to force someone to work without pay. Her argument is invalid.

Paint em black, tear out the com equipment, fly on.

I thought major airports already had landing fees?

Yes, they do, but you have the option of not landing at a major airport most of the time. User fees on top of fuel taxes will be charged on every communication with a controller, fee for filing a flight plan, fees for the distance traveled using IFR or flight following. It's a push by the airlines to reduce their costs, those poor ignorant bastards think that adding fees will reduce fuel taxes!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yes, they do, but you have the option of not landing at a major airport most of the time. User fees on top of fuel taxes will be charged on every communication with a controller, fee for filing a flight plan, fees for the distance traveled using IFR or flight following. It's a push by the airlines to reduce their costs, those poor ignorant bastards think that adding fees will reduce fuel taxes!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

And talk about biting the hand that feeds you.... More taxes=more expensive=less GA pilots=less new airline pilots.

This will make all those little strips without towers really busy as people vacate this bigger airports. This could have a positive effect on small field and a bad effect on owners. Hangar rent at these small fields could go out of sight worse then they are already.

Good for small FBO and bad for owners. Maybe its time to buy a small airstrip with lots of hangars. In my area small fields are full now. We have a few people a month calling for hangar space here at my field. Or maybe its cheap hangars are hard to find.

The privatization of parts of aviation would likely lead to cutbacks on unnecessary taxes...
:rofl::rofl:

My main point is that the government is not doing us any favors, they are collecting their dues just as any private entity would to keep the system running.
"Private entities" collect their dues in a price-competitive market place. If you don't have a choice who you talk to or file your flight plan with, it isn't "private" it's still government. Government without need of a majority vote on budget items.

dtuuri

:rofl::rofl:

"Private entities" collect their dues in a price-competitive market place. If you don't have a choice who you talk to or file your flight plan with, it isn't "private" it's still government. Government without need of a majority vote on budget items.

dtuuri

This!

I was just reading this past months Flying and they had an editors article in there on this subject. It would be more akin to your utilities provider because it would be a monopoly.

Oh, dear- they're coming for our guns!!! (Ooops. That never happened, did it?) Hey, they're gonna limit how many shells I can fire before I have to swap magazines. (Magazines always had a limit. None of them had an infinite capacity.) They're gonna force us to have health care... And so forth. "They" are us, of and by the people. Vote. Communicate with your local, state and federal reps. Let them know that politics is a service, not a career.

Back