those of you that trained in one aircraft and now fly another

muleywannabe

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Cherokee235
Did you find it difficult in transitioning to another aircraft? If you started in a C172 or C152 and went to a piper arrow or something similar and visa versa. I went to a local pilot meeting last night and it was neat to hear stories and advice. Just thought I would hear it here as well for fun. As we all know we will eventually transition at some point to multi and so on.

Transitioning is one of the fun parts of flying. Keeps you sharp.

Went from a 172 to a TB9. Quite a difference system-wise but not a lot different from a stick and rudder perspective.

High to Low wing
Different Radios (not plane specific)
Managing fuel tanks
Individual switches for
Turn coordinator
Alternator (learned that one the hard way)
Manual flaps to electric
usage of carb heat (Continental vs Lycoming)
Pump throttle vs Primer
Slightly higher V Speeds

TB9 Stalls a bit more violently and seems a little more wobbly than the 172 but they are similar enough that the transition is not a big deal. Most differences are on the checklist.

It can be a little tough when you're still on your first few hundred hours as a pilot. It gets much, much easier though. Just remember that pretty much every airplane flies like an airplane, with (generally among GA aircraft) subtle differences in handling, and periodically significant differences in cockpit layout. Get a good CFI familiar with the aircraft to fly along with you till you're comfortable and you should be golden. With a little effort transitioning from Cessnas to Pipers is a breeze.

Did you find it difficult in transitioning to another aircraft?
I guess it took about three hours to make the transition from a C-150 to whatever it was I flew next (172? Cherokee? :dunno:) After that, each transition was easier, and now with 6000 hours of light single engine time, it's pretty much a non-event to learn something new. Frankly, these days, learning one of the integrated avionics systems like the G1000 is the longest pole in that tent.

The only one that takes significant work the first complex transition, especially if you're jumping in straight from a trainer. I found myself forgetting cowl flaps for a bit, and occasionally forgetting to cycle the prop at preflight. But after a few hours, that was down. I never did forget the gear, though making a descent work without setting off the gear warning or making large throttle adjustments took some work.

But 172 to PA28? That took an hour. Several little differences, and the sight picture is somewhat different, but they really fly pretty much the same. You do have to remember to switch tanks and use the boost pump, but that's not too hard if you follow your checklist (tank switch goes on the cruise checklist).

I had 130hrs in a 172.. Then I bought a Cherokee 140 this past October. Never even sat in one before.. Everyone said it would be a non issue but I decided to take along another more experienced pilot (had time in Cherokees) and give it a go. They were right, after about 1.5hrs it was like the 172 except the pump and tanks. The next flight I took a CFi and he put it through its courses. And so did I and I now have about 25hrs in it.
You will be fine.

Did you find it difficult in transitioning to another aircraft?

Not too difficult. Started in a 172, transitioning to a PA-28 was straightforward. Learning the 182 involved getting a high perf endorsement and learning to use the CS prop and cowl flaps. Moving to the Mooney involved getting a complex endorsement, learning the gear system, and learning how to fly and land a slick airplane. Also, on landing you must be on your airspeed number on short final.

Really not hard at all. I imagine moving to a twin is the big step up, moving amoung singles isn't that hard.

Everything flies the same. And by everything I mean categories, not airframes. Helicopters, airplanes, parachutes all the same. Learn where the on/off switches are free your mind and fly. Easy.

The only one that takes significant work the first complex transition, especially if you're jumping in straight from a trainer.
Beg to differ. Change, say, from an F-4 to an F-111, and that's a big transition taking months -- a lot more from my first complex transition (Cherokee to T-34B, which only took a few hours). Likewise, transitioning from a simple twin like a Seminole to a turbocharged pressurized twin like a C-421 will take a week or so.

Everything flies the same. And by everything I mean categories, not airframes. Helicopters, airplanes, parachutes all the same. Learn where the on/off switches are free your mind and fly. Easy.

I wouldn't go that far. Example: one airplane I fly you're supposed to chop the power to idle at 50' AGL during landings, another, if you did that, you'd reconfigure the aircraft to a wheel-above-wing landing gear configuration.

Another example would be transitioning from, say, a C152 to a Cirrus. On the C152 you can pretty much hold it a foot off the ground till you run out of elevator and still make a decent landing. Do that in a Cirrus and you'll probably be looking at some awfully 'spensive tail repairs.

Last edited:
I transitioned from the C-150 to the 172 on my 1st Solo. I showed up and the C-150 was down for maintenance. So we took the 172, I did about 5 takes offs and landings and my instructor signed me off for solo and I did 3 more takes offs and landings. Now I was soloed and still not signed off in the C-150. We took care of that on the next lesson.

Brian

Let's see. Started in a Cessna 120 - at some point as a student I got signed off to fly a Cherokee but that was the only time I flew it. From the 120, the old man got a Beech Sport, getting used to those flap things was tough, the 120 was a lot easier to fly but I did OK in the Beech. There were some other odd and end aircraft that I flew a little here and there too.

As a retread I did my flight review in a Cessna 150 then jumped into my LSA taildragger (with a few more hours of dual). Not that big a deal. Now I don't have those flaps to mess me up anymore either. :)

You get used to whatever you are flying.

Learning different planes is easy, learning new avionics suites takes longer.

Did you find it difficult in transitioning to another aircraft? If you started in a C172 or C152 and went to a piper arrow or something similar and visa versa. I went to a local pilot meeting last night and it was neat to hear stories and advice. Just thought I would hear it here as well for fun. As we all know we will eventually transition at some point to multi and so on.
I transitioned from a C152 to a Lancair with about 100 total hours and only about 5 hours within the previous 15 years. I am convinced I would have crashed on first flight without good transition training.

This. When I did my PPL, i trained in a 172 with steam gauges. 3 days beofre th checkride the plane broke so I had two days to learn in a 172 with G1000. It was pretty uneventful because I was VFR but I probably couldn't have transitioned as easy if I were doing IFR. Most recently I did my complex transition in prep for my Commercial ASEL. The first flight I was behind the plane but after a few flights I am fine. I should have my complex endrosement in a few more hours!

I transitioned from single engine, to multi, and then to turboprops, to turbojets and I have nothing but a positive outlook on it all. Keeps you sharp, the steeper the learning curve the better, and to be quite honest, it's addicting in ways. Enjoy learning new things and flying different aircraft!!

I did 10 hrs in a C150, then jumped to a C172 Hawk XP with constant speed prop. Didn't add that much complexity. Each of the 70-some types of flown since have been incremental. The fundamentals never change. Just the individual nuances.

I transitioned from my Cherokee 140 trainer to a Cherokee 140 with a Garmin 430 lol. I laugh, but I was a nervous wreck getting in a new plane. It was nothing at all. Then I 'transitioned' to an Archer, and again, I was a nervous wreck....and also no issue at all, 1 hour.
Looking forward to HP, complex, etc...

I transitioned from single engine, to multi, and then to turboprops, to turbojets and I have nothing but a positive outlook on it all. Keeps you sharp, the steeper the learning curve the better, and to be quite honest, it's addicting in ways. Enjoy learning new things and flying different aircraft!!

Same here. :thumbsup:

Probably the steepest learning curve was the Airbus and FBW and it's associated systems. On the helicopter side the Eurocopter was a steeper learning curve than others as well.

On the Airbus I'm approaching 1000 hours on type and still learning, but it's fun.

It's worth noting that many of the LSA accidents, especially landing/takeoff, were caused by high-time pilots who thought they knew it all. Many insurance policies expect 5 or 10 hours of transition dual time for this reason.

Frankly, these days, learning one of the integrated avionics systems like the G1000 is the longest pole in that tent.

I agree. It was easier (and more fun) transitioning to a Super Decathlon and learning basic aerobatics than it was trying to learn how to operate a G1000 in a C-182. Life is complicated enough already without the G1000 :).

At first, yes. But once you learn that aircraft certification makes most airplanes perform in a similar fashion it becomes easier. Almost all fixed pitch propeller airplanes can be flown on approach with a reduction of power abeam your touchdown point to 1500-1700 RPM, one notch of flaps after power reduction, second notch on base, final flaps on final. Some airplanes only have two flap settings, some have no flaps. Speed? 70 knots on final no flaps, about 65 with full flaps. Give or take.
Constant speed prop? Same but instead of 1500-1700 RPM, 15-17". Give or take. Same speeds.
Landing gear? Now maybe a little more to the equation. Most airplanes you can slow with flaps, then gear. There are exceptions such as Mooneys that have low flap speeds (about 110 knots for flaps).
Get into stalls... well, some behave better than others.
As some have pointed out systems can be the big difference and killer. Different autopilots, glass verses steam, different fuel systems, etc.

Began my transition today into a Cessna T182T pilot from the Cherokee 140/180 platform. Plus, after a 34 year hiatus. Wow!

My instructor said he could tell I was flying the Skylane like a Cherokee, so I must still have "it".

Next, I'll work to see just what he was talking about, and figure out how to exorsise these Piper demons.

It's worth noting that many of the LSA accidents, especially landing/takeoff, were caused by high-time pilots who thought they knew it all. Many insurance policies expect 5 or 10 hours of transition dual time for this reason.

I found that transitioning from PA-28 to Remos GX and FD CTLS was a complete non-issue and I just cannot fathom how people flying basic singles manage to have a problem with it, even crash. Coming down from a 757, I can understand a problem. But GX and CTLS fly pretty much like the 150, only better: controls are more responsive, there's a good authority at low speeds, loss of speed at the back of the power curve is actually less severe than in 150 with 40 degrees flaps. I think my only issue with them was that cowls are oddly shaped and featureless, so I had to use an internal reference to avoid landing sideways (in CTLS it's the plane right between the rudder pedals). I am sure it's a problem of complacency, not skill.

Transitioning into Carlson was a big deal for me, I even had a landing accident before I became used to its handling. But a plastic-fantastic LSA? I don't think it's problematic. Should take a minimal amount of respect for the airplane and 2 or 3 landings with a CFI at the most.

Frankly, these days, learning one of the integrated avionics systems like the G1000 is the longest pole in that tent.

Amen to that.
You can figure out what the flight characteristics of an aircraft by flying some PTS maneuvers. Figuring out the electronics can make you tear your hair out.

I found that transitioning from PA-28 to Remos GX and FD CTLS was a complete non-issue and I just cannot fathom how people flying basic singles manage to have a problem with it, even crash. Coming down from a 757, I can understand a problem. But GX and CTLS fly pretty much like the 150, only better: controls are more responsive, there's a good authority at low speeds, loss of speed at the back of the power curve is actually less severe than in 150 with 40 degrees flaps. I think my only issue with them was that cowls are oddly shaped and featureless, so I had to use an internal reference to avoid landing sideways (in CTLS it's the plane right between the rudder pedals). I am sure it's a problem of complacency, not skill.

Transitioning into Carlson was a big deal for me, I even had a landing accident before I became used to its handling. But a plastic-fantastic LSA? I don't think it's problematic. Should take a minimal amount of respect for the airplane and 2 or 3 landings with a CFI at the most.
Because there is a sadly high number of terrible pilots out there among the ranks who shouldnt be flying. Any average pilot should be able to make such a transition just like you did-no sweat.

My first 50-ish hours of my primary training were in a 152. Due to me being about 200# and the DPE being significantly over that, we decided to switch to a 172 prior to the checkride.

The first couple lessons I had some trouble landing due to the sight picture. Once I got that down, it was no problem and I fly it 99% of the time now, so much that I find myself off slightly with the 152 on the landing. I'm still a pretty new pilot though, so I'm sure the more experienced ones make the transitions look easy.

Did all but 4.1 hours of my PP training in a 172. Flew a 182 for the first time (with my CFI) the day before my PP check ride. The following year I got my first time in the Arrow for my club's annual equivalent of the FAA's flight review. CFI thought that the review was a great time to fly something new.

What are the differences?

172 -> 182

182 is bigger, heaver on the controls and has some extra controls to learn (prop, cowl flaps). Best glide is 5 knots faster than the 172. Burns more gas. But, it sure is more comfortable.

172 or 182 -> Arrow

GEAR!!! Remember to lower the landing gear before you land. Downwind, midfield, drop the gear and check for 3 green lights. Turn base, 3 green. Turn final. 3 green. Short final, 3 green. Gear up landings are embarrassing. Of course, the flaps are in a different place. Like the 182, there's a prop control. Oh, and that old Arrow's ASI is in MPH, not Knots.

Club required 5 hours dual before solo in the 182 if you didn't have time in one before. Got that later and the high perf endorsement to go with it. The Arrow requires 10 hours dual and 100 hours TT before solo. Got that later and the complex endorsement.

Oh, and the avionics are different in each plane. Biggest problem? If I've been flying one a lot and hop into another I will invariably use the wrong tail number on the radio when I first call ground for taxi clearance. :D

Transitioning is one of the fun parts of flying. Keeps you sharp.

Yes to both. Even though different avionics can take a while to get used to, that's still part of the challenge, and part of the fun.

Kind of like transitioning from any other car to a Saab and spending ten minutes trying to figure out where the key goes. Once you get past that, it's still a car.

Last edited:
After you go through a few single engine aircraft moving to new singles becomes a non- event. I started in a C152 and C172 for my PPL and instrument ticket, then joined a flying club that had Cherokee 140, 180, Warrior, C172, C182, Arrow, and two beautiful T-34B's. Got checked out on all of those and would pick the airplane depending on my mission, but for pure fun the T-34 was great and the club rate was too good to pass up. Finally got tired of the club restrictions and purchased a Mooney from a friend. They all have their little idiosyncrasies but really not a big deal, nothing that a couple of hours with a good instructor knowledgeable of the breed can't fix. I urge you to go try as many as you can. You'll learn a lot, make you a better stick man and it will help you later on if you ever decide to buy something.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back