This is why we can't have nice things.

Would you be OK with relaxing all of our laws to meet that same standard?
Our country's standards are what they are. If a foreign airline meets the standards, I have no problems with them flying here. If you're talking about the internal standards of US airlines, they also need to meet those standards to fly here.

Is that true? I thought the NAI flights that are registered through the Irish subsidiary is going to actually route through Ireland?

Looking at this again, I may have been seeing Norwegian's Norway based flights, rather than NAI's flights. It's hard to tell from their reservation site.

Looking at this again, I may have been seeing Norwegian's Norway based flights, rather than NAI's flights. It's hard to tell from their reservation site.
I think the thing that's giving some people heartburn is that they have registered their subsidiary in Ireland so they can fly from Ireland to the US. But people don't worry about AerLingus (or a number of non-Irish, non-US airlines )doing the same. If they had been smarter they might have taken the word "Norwegian" out of the subsidiary's name...

Screen Shot 2017-01-27 at 10.39.24.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-27 at 10.39.24.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-27 at 10.39.24.png
    71.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
The quick searches I did: Norway is not EU, Ireland is. Norway can negotiate routes between Norway and US, and between Norway and Europe, but not between US and Europe. Ireland is EU and does have the ability to use routes between US and Europe. Ireland also has different labor, union, and tax laws, which means lower cost.

Part of the safety argument is that if this airline expands routes (like the US/Europe routes), they will be hiring more flight crews, from the pools that come from the fast-track zero-to-hero schools.

Part of the financial argument is that those fresh out of school pilots are hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt and willing to work for pennies. These are the crews that would be hired by the low-cost carrier types.

I've been following this thread out of curiosity. Note: I don't really have any intimate knowledge of this issue other than this thread.

So the issue is "flag of convenience" for a Norway based airline to operate with more lax Irish tax and labor laws. Ok. I understand the problem. Here is a wrinkle. Let's say this is banned. Norwegian Air Shuttle finds an Irish based investor and creates a 49(NAI)-51%(Irish venture firm) partnership airline in Ireland to do the same thing. What's the difference and what's won?

I am not even a little bit surprised that ALPA has objections. I'm looking at a bigger picture than includes the consumer. Here is an article that explains the issue pretty well.

http://www.businessinsider.com/norwegian-air-international-nai-us-2016-5

The objections are coming from the airlines, not the consumer. They are arguing for their position, not yours. No one has said that it won't work to lower costs. The argument is that the lower costs will come at a price and allows an unfair advantage to those who purposefully register their companies in a place that minimizes their burden.

Our country's standards are what they are. If a foreign airline meets the standards, I have no problems with them flying here. If you're talking about the internal standards of US airlines, they also need to meet those standards to fly here.

Are you ok with American pilots meeting the same requirements Djibouti imposes on its ATP candidates? What standards are imposed to operate here vs those that are required to be licensed and registered here?

The objections are coming from the airlines, not the consumer. They are arguing for their position, not yours.
No kidding. I realize that.

Are you ok with American pilots meeting the same requirements Djibouti imposes on its ATP candidates? What standards are imposed to operate here vs those that are required to be licensed and registered here?
When US pilots fly overseas, they need to meet not only the standards of this country, but also the standards of the country they are flying to. I have heard of pilots flying 135 over age 65 in this country who can't fly to various other countries because those countries have an age limit. If the US recognizes the certificates of pilots from Djibouti (I have no idea if they do, or what the standards are) then I have no problem with them flying here.

No kidding. I realize that.

When US pilots fly overseas, they need to meet not only the standards of this country, but also the standards of the country they are flying to. I have heard of pilots flying 135 over age 65 in this country who can't fly to various other countries because those countries have an age limit. If the US recognizes the certificates of pilots from Djibouti (I have no idea if they do, or what the standards are) then I have no problem with them flying here.
It's seems pretty easy to understand, but maybe there's a disconnect I am missing. I don't know the specifics but I am assuming that there is a difference between rules we require for foreign pilots to operate here, and those that establish the standard for being licensed and trained here. If that is the case, then this business model will exploit that difference and incentivize companies to target the lowest and the least burdensome training and licensing. That means that those who adhere to the stricter standards for training and licensing will be punished. As happened in the maritime industry, they will have to register elsewhere to remain competitive.

The difference that I do not think you are seeing is that the entire industry will gravitate toward the lowest common denominator. All that being said, the primary argument is not safety. The primary argument from the ALPA is the destructive effect it will have on our airline industry.

It's seems pretty easy to understand, but maybe there's a disconnect I am missing. I don't know the specifics but I am assuming that there is a difference between rules we require for foreign pilots to operate here, and those that establish the standard for being licensed and trained here. If that is the case, then this business model will exploit that difference and incentivize companies to target the lowest and the least burdensome training and licensing. That means that those who adhere to the stricter standards for training and licensing will be punished. As happened in the maritime industry, they will have to register elsewhere to remain competitive.
The way I understand it, foreign pilots who fly into this country need to meet certain standards. They may not be exactly the same as the US standard for US pilots, but there are requirements. Their certificates need to be recognized by US authorities. The same rules apply in a reciprocal way to US pilots flying in other countries.

The difference that I do not think you are seeing is that the entire industry will gravitate toward the lowest common denominator. All that being said, the primary argument is not safety. The primary argument from the ALPA is the destructive effect it will have on our airline industry.
I understand ALPA's argument. But what's good for ALPA isn't necessarily good for the consumer. It's like the people who wish for the days before deregulation. Yes, the flying experience was better and pilots got paid more in relative terms (I think, I'm not sure about that), but it was also much more expensive.

The way I understand it, foreign pilots who fly into this country need to meet certain standards. They may not be exactly the same as the US standard for US pilots, but there are requirements. Their certificates need to be recognized by US authorities. The same rules apply in a reciprocal way to US pilots flying in other countries.

I understand ALPA's argument. But what's good for ALPA isn't necessarily good for the consumer. It's like the people who wish for the days before deregulation. Yes, the flying experience was better and pilots got paid more in relative terms (I think, I'm not sure about that), but it was also much more expensive.
So do you think that the same government that imposes standards on its people and industry should allow for those standards to be bypassed in the interest of lower cost for the consumer?

So do you think that the same government that imposes standards on its people and industry should allow for those standards to be bypassed in the interest of lower cost for the consumer?
The standards are not being bypassed. We have standards for pilots flying into this country. You cannot present a license from [othercountry] and expect to fly here if [othercountry] only requires 5 hours of instruction, for example. This is part of what ICAO regulates. Another example; if you fly within a country where English is not a requirement you don't need to take the test and have "English Proficient" on your certificate, but you do to fly here.

The standards are not being bypassed. We have standards for pilots flying into this country. You cannot present a license from [othercountry] and expect to fly here if [othercountry] only requires 5 hours of instruction, for example. This is part of what ICAO regulates. Another example; if you fly within a country where English is not a requirement you don't need to take the test and have "English Proficient" on your certificate, but you do to fly here.
You admitted that the standards to fly into the US are not the same as those to be trained and licensed here. If there are global standards for all licensing and labor, then the ALPA is wrong and so was your above statement. If so, this is simply a tax and wage issue and the overwhelming majority of the information out there is false.

Use your English proficiency for example. Let's say an African pilot comes here to be certified as "English Proficient". Are the requirements the exact same here to receive the endorsement as they are in Djibouti?

We're also making the mistake of thinking that this is just about the pilots. The airline industry is comprised of much more than those who just fly the airplane.

Last edited:
You admitted that the standards to fly into the US are not the same as those to be trained and licensed here. If there are global standards for all licensing and labor, then the ALPA is wrong and so was your above statement. If so, this is simply a tax and wage issue and the overwhelming majority of the information out there is false.
Different countries can decide on their own standards, as they should. But to fly to other countries they need to meet certain other standards set for foreign pilots. The US standards are not the strictest, BTW. I have been in class with pilots who fly under JAA rules. Their standards are stricter than ours, at least they are to get a type rating.

Use your English proficiency for example. Let's say an African pilot comes here to be certified as "English Proficient". Are the requirements the exact same here to receive the endorsement as they are in Djibouti?
If you are a US licensed pilot, you didn't need to take a test at all. But if you come from a non English-speaking country you do. I have no idea what they speak in Djibouti or why you are using it as an example other than that it has a cool name.

Different countries can decide on their own standards, as they should. But to fly to other countries they need to meet certain other standards set for foreign pilots. The US standards are not the strictest, BTW. I have been in class with pilots who fly under JAA rules. Their standards are stricter than ours, at least they are to get a type rating.

If you are a US licensed pilot, you didn't need to take a test at all. But if you come from a non English-speaking country you do. I have no idea what they speak in Djibouti or why you are using it as an example other than that it has a cool name.

OK, I'll finish up with this. And yes, I just like saying G booty. Sorry that was dictated but I think I will leave it for @mscard88's sake. :)

So you admit that licensing and training standards are different. Some countries are stricter than others. The whole point is that those that are the least stringent will also be cheaper and instead of being isolated to their small realm of influence, will now become the standard for much of the industry. Why should the US govt allow for an unfair competitive advantage that will drive away a significant portion of the economy? Maritime being a case in point. Your position is that it is better for the consumer because they can save a couple hundred on tickets.

Qatar Airways flies into the US under their own flag, so one thing doesn't really have anything to do with the other.
Sure it does, now every country will have access to their work rules. That's the point.

I could say the same about you. ;)

I understand ALPA's and the industry's position but I am looking at it from the consumer angle.
I'm raising the white flag. I will consider my inability to persuade you as a personal failure. I gave it my best effort.:dunno::(

In the case of NAI, Ireland and Norway are both EASA members so they have the same regulatory standards.

I'm not sure how EASA and FAA differ when it comes to part 121 operations, aircraft, maintenance, and crews.

I would not expect the United MEC to have any other view.
I would not expect a consumer looking for cheap tickets to have any other view than yours.;)

Last edited:
And yes, I just like saying G booty. Sorry that was dictated but I think I will leave it for @mscard88's sake. :)

Oh no you won't! I left this discussion yesterday. I realized Everskyward was ready to rumble! :D

A friend just called awhile ago, and his son-in-law is headed to 'G booty', Seal Team 8, so I appreciate the thought Coot! ;)

Last edited:
I would not expect a consumer looking for cheap tickets to have any other than yours.;)

The only language these consumers speak is carnage. Here's another gem. Complete clownshow. Those pax got out with their lives by sheer luck. This is what's coming to widebody flying in the US. People have no concept of how many close calls occur abroad with these chuckleheads flying for carnival cruise ship wages. Expand that now to have said demographic encompass the majority of intl capacity in 20 years in and out of the US, and Americans are in for some shocking buyer's remorse. But hey, cheap tickets.

In the case of NAI, Ireland and Norway are both EASA members so they have the same regulatory standards.

I'm not sure how EASA and FAA differ when it comes to part 121 operations, aircraft, maintenance, and crews.

I'm afraid the point flew right over your head. It's not about EASA. It's about IRELAND. Ireland's flag is to aviation oversight as the Bahamas flag is to Maritime oversight: They. Are. Not. Looking.

You follow?

Qatar Airways flies into the US under their own flag, so one thing doesn't really have anything to do with the other.
It's the same issue, just different parts of it. Those lobbying against NAI are also lobbying against the ME3.

That article about Qatar Airways is just one example of how the sometimes extreme differences in regulation can tilt the playing field against US airlines and companies.

The ME3 are Emirates, Etihad Airways, and Qatar Airways.

I'm afraid the point flew right over your head. It's not about EASA. It's about IRELAND. Ireland's flag is to aviation oversight as the Bahamas flag is to Maritime oversight: They. Are. Not. Looking.

You follow?
Yeah, I follow. But my question, or comment, was about EASA. I know you are getting at the Irish authorities and whether or not they do the proper oversight.

But I'm not sure of the differences between EASA and FAA regs. Maybe they are effectively the same?

By the way, here is a list of EASA member countries:

The members of the EU (soon to NOT be the UK):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Member_state_of_the_European_Union#List

plus Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland, and Iceland.

The only language these consumers speak is carnage. Here's another gem. Complete clownshow. Those pax got out with their lives by sheer luck. This is what's coming to widebody flying in the US. People have no concept of how many close calls occur abroad with these chuckleheads flying for carnival cruise ship wages. Expand that now to have said demographic encompass the majority of intl capacity in 20 years in and out of the US, and Americans are in for some shocking buyer's remorse. But hey, cheap tickets.
The US can revoke the permission of a foreign carrier to fly here, just as they can revoke the certificate of a domestic carrier, if they have too many safety issues. So it is not a "flag" issue. It depends on the individual carrier.

The US can revoke the permission of a foreign carrier to fly here, just as they can revoke the certificate of a domestic carrier, if they have too many safety issues. So it is not a "flag" issue. It depends on the individual carrier.

I am wondering what your position on actual cabotage is. Should Aer Lingus or Djibouti Air be allowed to operate between cities within the US? You could use the same arguments that you have been using to answer "Yes" but if you say "No" then I wonder, where do you draw the line and why do you draw it there?

I am wondering what your position on actual cabotage is. Should Aer Lingus or Djibouti Air be allowed to operate between cities within the US? You could use the same arguments that you have been using to answer "Yes" but if you say "No" then I wonder, where do you draw the line and why do you draw it there?
Cabotage laws exist in other countries. If we can't do in their country I don't think they should be able to do it in ours. If there was a reciprocal agreement, I would be open to considering it. I would say that I'm generally in favor of the Open Skies policy described here.

https://www.state.gov/e/eb/tra/ata/

Last edited:
Most American Airlines have their maintenance done in South American country's. This is more worrisome to me than the pilots from Norwegian air who have to have an extensive flying background according to richman air, the company that hires for n.a. It's called globalization with many American company's headquartered in Ireland. Many really poor American pilots out there according to a pal who's been with flight safety for twenty years. He failed several last year. The pilot involved in buffalo in fifty six deaths was none too keen.

Back