This is why we can't have nice things.

The Caribbean (or I'm guessing the parts of the Caribbean they fly from) isn't part of the US so it isn't like they are flying *within* the US.

Strictly it's not cabotage but in a geographic sense, it is. How many U.S. airlines are allowed to fly from, say, London to Frankfurt. I mean...they're different countries...

Which is why I said they aren't obligated to provide you with any, unless you hold a position of authority or influence that I'm not privy to.

Aren't they trying to influence both the lawmakers and public opinion to their case? If you want me to agree with you...you sure the hell are obligated to provide me the facts to back up your position...or is just throwing a tantrum like a two year old sufficient enough information for critical debate?

Doesn't the last quote above apply to you as well? You have judged them as whiners and complainers without sufficient evidence being provided. Quite the opposite actually. Are you a contributor to the rampancy of fake news?

How is asking for the opposing view's case to be factually presented without using just gross emotional based generalizations contributing to fake news? You have a warped thought process my friend.

Last edited:
Not sure how they are more of a threat than the many other foreign airlines that fly to the US.

But there is clearly a legal difference between flying between two countries and flying passengers within a country.

Many of our major airlines have agreements with those country's airlines of "seat sharing", forget the exact term it's called. And it is a threat too as it reduces the need for a particular US airline having some long haul flights, especially Delta.

I'm sure there is a legal difference, but whether there is or nor not, they'll try to find a way around it or lobby for a for change.

The Caribbean (or I'm guessing the parts of the Caribbean they fly from) isn't part of the US so it isn't like they are flying *within* the US.
It would be like US carriers going over to Europe and demanding routes from Europe to let's say Asia or Africa. Also the whole Delta and United operations in Asia goes back to the agreement that the US and Japan had in the 1950s.

is just throwing a tantrum like a two year old sufficient enough information for critical debate?
Your hyperbole isn't adding to your point. I've simply pointed out that the facts are there. Regardless of your high view of public opinion, this battle isn't being fought there. This wasn't subjected to a vote or a ballot, it was simply signed. Their appeal isn't to you.

How is asking for the opposing view's case to be factually presented without using just gross emotional based generalizations contributing to fake news? You have a warped thought process my friend.

I have stated that by your own words, you weren't in a position to judge whether those facts have been presented, yet you labeled and judged anyway. You have done what you accused them of doing, and I pointed it out. It isn't warped thought, it is consistent thought. However inconvenient that may be for you.:)

Last edited:
It would be like US carriers going over to Europe and demanding routes from Europe to let's say Asia or Africa.
I don't see that anyone is demanding anything.

But in looking at their site I now know how some people I know got a cheap flight from Oakland to Norway....

Their appeal isn't to you.

They why was it posted here?

All I wanted was supporting facts which were not laid out in the article to the FIRST line in this thread which is a substantial claim:

US pilots ask Trump to block Obama admin ruling they say would kill thousands of jobs

You are entertaining you goofball.

Last edited:
They why was it posted here?

All I wanted was supporting facts which were not laid out in the article to the FIRST line in this thread which is a substantial claim:

US pilots ask Trump to block Obama admin ruling they say would kill thousands of jobs

You are entertaining you goofball.

OK, I'll let it go. I am a stickler for logical consistency and I had some time to kill. ✌️

Lolz, take it you don't work in the industry.

You obviously don't know what the lifetime average pay is for a pro pilot, and no I'm not talking about what he makes way senior into his career, I mean all the "dues" this industry has going from 250hrs to finally that "above average income" thousands upon thousand of flight hours later.

And as far as "average" jobs, most folks eyes roll back in their heads before I'm even really that far into explaining the responsibility, knowledge, training, cost to get a CPL, recurrent training, medical standards, rules and regs, etc in my line of work. Yeah we maybe end up above "average", yeah that guy with 20 years working as a pro pilot makes more than the manager of a Hot Topic in the mall, you're damn straight he does.

And the industry will survive, you expect that amazon prime to get there overnight, you want to get from Seattle to Florida in a afternoon, or are you going to drive with your loud wife and annoying kids for 3 days staying in the crappiest of "road trip" motels? want to survive that MI you experienced 4 hours drive away from a trauma center, yeah brother aviation ain't going anywhere.

People still demand all these things yet we don't have a huge influx of new CPL students,even with the ATP mandate and that's partially due to the...cost of admission and I'm not just talking $$, of course as a government/military worker you are in a bit of a bubble, funny thing is from where I'm standing I'd be more worried about all your post service lifetime "benefits", than my outlook as an ATP.

You don't need to lecture me about the industry, all my subordinates and a few superiors, all people I call friends, are airline guys. I don't need a corporate oligarch to physically steal my airline pension for me to be able to speak intelligently about the g-d industry. You're barking up the wrong tree brother. I don't know why you got out of my post that I think airline pilots are overpaid. You must have confused me for some of the globalist cheerleaders on here.

To reiterate, I'm supportive of your position, I'm not advocating to the contrary. I was merely making the observation that on a personal level I'm not confident the industry will be able to hold the line, though I hope they do. So please forego the visceral tendency to condescend to me because I don't wear an airline ID on my uniform. For the record, I'm a lifetime Air Force RESERVIST, which means I'm not some regAF "insulated" guy with no concept of what "life on the outside" is like. I was already at CFII before I flew my first military hour. I'm fully aware of what civilian aviation entails, don't throw daggers at me just because I have options other than 121.

First off, I'm in IT, welcome to my world.

Secondly, from what I can find out about this airline, is that their business model is to fly narrowbody airliners between less served city pairs, not to go head to head with the major carriers. Allegiant and Spirit haven't exactly brought Delta and American to their knees, what makes this any different?

Strictly it's not cabotage but in a geographic sense, it is. How many U.S. airlines are allowed to fly from, say, London to Frankfurt. I mean...they're different countries...

If you pull up that city pair on Kayak, you'll find a couple of dozen carriers, almost all of which aren't located in either the UK or Germany, including some US flag carriers. The US flag carriers pricing is wildly uncompetitive, as that's not their market.

United used to do it. And as I understand it, that isn't cabbatage. It is a fifth freedom right that is allowed.

I had never heard the term "cabotage" until this thread.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/19/122.165
I am pretty aware of cabotage rules as they apply to flying in Canada and Mexico since it is something we need to be aware of when flying point to point within these countries. I'm sure other countries (obviously including the US) have cabotage rules but these are the only two I have personally dealt with in that regard.

https://www.nbaa.org/ops/intl/nam/20110815-cabotage.php

If you pull up that city pair on Kayak, you'll find a couple of dozen carriers, almost all of which aren't located in either the UK or Germany, including some US flag carriers. The US flag carriers pricing is wildly uncompetitive, as that's not their market.

Which US carrier? I don't see any...are you sure they're not codeshare flights?

United used to do it. And as I understand it, that isn't cabbatage. It is a fifth freedom right that is allowed.

It's not cabotage because they're different countries, although both in the EU. I was making an analogy, which might have been a poor one. I

That.

So how are those cheap tickets working out for you??

I'll happily pay a little more to not deal with these people, cheap tickets = cheap seats and low cost pax
This has been on a steady rise since ticket costs have gone down.. my dad has been telling me more and more stories about altercations on flights he's on. I'm not pro-trump, but I'm open minded and willing to give him a chance to lead. I hope he stops this from happening, I could be affected by this in the future.

Which US carrier? I don't see any...are you sure they're not codeshare flights?

It's not cabotage because they're different countries, although both in the EU. I was making an analogy, which might have been a poor one. I

If you look at the airline listing on the side, both Delta and United are listed, with crazy high prices. I don't know if they'd actually issue a ticket for that flight as it doesn't seem that's a market either of those carriers are interested in. But there are lots of other carriers not based in either the UK or Germany that offer that flight. I looked up Air France's offerings for that same flight and they are very competitive, price wise.

I don't get what all the fuss is about. This is a Norwegian company operating out of an EU nation with a European crew flying international routes. It's not like they are asking to fly US domestic routes, and it's certainly not like Delta and United are asking for H1B visa for their pilots because they "can't find" qualified people.

If you look at the airline listing on the side, both Delta and United are listed, with crazy high prices. I don't know if they'd actually issue a ticket for that flight as it doesn't seem that's a market either of those carriers are interested in. But there are lots of other carriers not based in either the UK or Germany that offer that flight. I looked up Air France's offerings for that same flight and they are very competitive, price wise.

I don't get what all the fuss is about. This is a Norwegian company operating out of an EU nation with a European crew flying international routes. It's not like they are asking to fly US domestic routes, and it's certainly not like Delta and United are asking for H1B visa for their pilots because they "can't find" qualified people.
The fuss is about the rules and laws that they would be able to circumvent. Their regulations will be determined by their country of registration, not ours. That allows them to bypass much of what drives cost up for our airlines.

The fuss is about the rules and laws that they would be able to circumvent. Their regulations will be determined by their country of registration, not ours. That allows them to bypass much of what drives cost up for our airlines.
How are they potentially different than the many foreign airlines that already fly from other countries to the US?

The fuss is they don't play by our rules and get to undercut our pilots.

The fuss is they don't play by our rules and get to undercut our pilots.
And other foreign airlines don't? They need to obey our rules to the same extent as we require other foreign airlines to do so. What they pay their pilots is their business.

How are they potentially different than the many foreign airlines that already fly from other countries to the US?
It's a Norwegian Airline subsidiary that has HQ in Ireland that operates flights originating in the US. No other carrier does this. For example, British Airways is England's carrier. Their flights start in England (where their flag is) and end in another country. That is perfectly fine. NAI, specifically set up their subsidiary in Ireland in order to bypass stricter aviation laws in Norway. They have flights originating in the US (flag is Norway) and bypass all of our laws. I can't reiterate enough how bad this is for pilots.

Sounds like you've talking with your dad Jordane. :D

It's a Norwegian Airline subsidiary that has HQ in Ireland that operates flights originating in the US. No other carrier does this. For example, British Airways is England's carrier. Their flights start in England (where their flag is) and end in another country. That is perfectly fine. NAI, specifically set up their subsidiary in Ireland in order to bypass stricter aviation laws in Norway. They have flights originating in the US (flag is Norway) and bypass all of our laws. I can't reiterate enough how bad this is for pilots.
Many airlines have flights originating in the US. They are not flying point to point within the US. As far as rules go, they need to abide by the same ones as other foreign carriers abide by so I don't see any extra safety problems.

Just reading up on the ALPA magazines on these longer flights!

That rag! After I retired ALPA offered some ridiculous membership or something for some equally ridiculous cost. Uh no thanks, I paid enough in dues for 24 years, should have been complimentary. :rolleyes:

Many airlines have flights originating in the US. They are not flying point to point within the US. As far as rules go, they need to abide by the same ones as other foreign carriers abide by so I don't see any extra safety problems.
Yes but they came from their flag. Like I said before, British does JFK-LHR which is their flag. Alitalia does JFK-FCO which is their flag. Norwegian starts and ends flights not in their flag. Do you see what I'm saying. They are not doing what these other airlines are doing.They are operating flights from the US to destinations that ARE NOT OF THEIR FLAG. Again British, Lufthansa, Alitalia, etc all have flights in the US that GO TO THEIR FLAG.

United is a codeshare flight operated by Lufthansa. The Air France route from London to Frankfurt is actually London to *Paris* to Frankfurt.

Last edited:
How much reading have you done on this? How well do you understand flags of convenience?

Yes but they came from their flag. Like I said before, British does JFK-LHR which is their flag. Alitalia does JFK-FCO which is their flag. Norwegian starts and ends flights not in their flag. Do you see what I'm saying. They are not doing what these other airlines are doing.
I don't see why it matters that that one end of the flight is not in Norway.

How much reading have you done on this? How well do you understand flags of convenience?
I understand cabotage, which this is not, and I also understand that some airlines, and ships, may register in a different country for business reasons. Heck, I fly an airplane that is owned by a foreign company but is registered to a US trust.

I don't see why it matters that that one end of the flight is not in Norway.
It almost seems as if you are being purposely obtuse. Spend three minutes reading about flags of convenience and what happened to the maritime industry. The point, as has been said many times here is that they avoid our labor laws and tax laws and compete directly in our market.

It almost seems as if you are being purposely obtuse. Spend three minutes reading about flags of convenience and what happened to the maritime industry. The point, as has been said many times here is that they avoid our labor laws and tax laws and compete directly in our market.
I answered in the post above yours. I know that in both the aviation and maritime industry that companies sometimes register ships and airplanes under other flags for business reasons. I also understand the union opposition in this case. But I'm looking at it from a larger perspective. I don't see how that one operation is more harmful than others to the general public.

You don't see how allowing companies to go shopping for the most relaxed labor laws could have an impact on the industry or safety?

And apart from that, it seems as if you don't think our leadership should try to protect the financial interest of invested US companies.

I answered in the post above yours. I know that in both the aviation and maritime industry that companies sometimes register ships and airplanes under other flags for business reasons. I also understand the union opposition in this case. But I'm looking at it from a larger perspective. I don't see how that one operation is more harmful than others to the general public.
Because NAI is basically the only carrier doing this.

You don't see how allowing companies to go shopping for the most relaxed labor laws could have an impact on the industry or safety?
Not as long as they meet the standards we have set to fly into the US.

And apart from that, it seems as if you don't think our leadership should try to protect the financial interest of invested US companies.

From what I can tell, the only difference here is that Norwegian is opening a subsidiary in Ireland, because Ireland has more favorable labor and tax laws than does Norway. The different thing about this is that most of their flights make a stop in Norway instead of Ireland. Considering that we have both Norwegian and Irish airlines already flying to the US, I still don't see what the big whoop is about.

The different thing about this is that most of their flights make a stop in Norway instead of Ireland.

Is that true? I thought the NAI flights that are registered through the Irish subsidiary is going to actually route through Ireland?

From what I can tell, the only difference here is that Norwegian is opening a subsidiary in Ireland, because Ireland has more favorable labor and tax laws than does Norway. The different thing about this is that most of their flights make a stop in Norway instead of Ireland. Considering that we have both Norwegian and Irish airlines already flying to the US, I still don't see what the big whoop is about.
Not sure how I've become the spokesman defending deny NAI, I'm not an airline guy. But the problem is with the business model on which it is based. It provides an incentive for companies to register in countries with the lowest tax rate and labor standards. It penalizes the companies whose flag is in the US.

Back