Thinking about fixing my barn or building a hangar

Just find a decommissioned Halon system and be sure to not be in the garage when it activates. :)

Serious question, can those still be purchased?

I'm not necessarily looking for fire suppression so much as detection. Of course without some good way of suppression then I just watch my barn burn.

Don't forget a pellet gun for the birds that will live in there.

Yeah, I probably want to use something smaller than a 22LR...

Serious question, can those still be purchased?

I'm not necessarily looking for fire suppression so much as detection. Of course without some good way of suppression then I just watch my barn burn.
Seriously doubt you could find one. Pretty sure that Halon systems were banned, so you couldn't find any to recharge a system with anyway. They are effective though!

Yeah, I probably want to use something smaller than a 22LR...
Rat shot in a .22 works. At least my dad told me he shot rats off the rafters of his parents garage without messing up the roof.

Rat shot in a .22 works. At least my dad told me he shot rats off the rafters of his parents garage without messing up the roof.

Yeah, lots of tiny ball bearings all over a smooth concrete floor, nothing can go wrong there lol.

Apparently I like Big Asses and I cannot lie, hence why I bought 3 Big Ass Fans.

Funny thing is they're not all that big. The two are 5' diameter, and the one put up is 7' diameter. When you consider what you normally associate with Big Ass Fans in the 10-20' diameter range, these are downright normal by comparison. They do look cool and industrial. I can't remember why I got them in black as opposed to aluminum - that might've just been the only color option. The blades are very lightweight, I can't wait to see them run.

BAFs are a huge hit in the warehouses I've been to that had them. They move some serious air with very low speeds. One of the DCs I worked, we put three of them over a dock area that was about 900' long. We could only turn them on about half speed because they would blow papers off the supervisor's desk and any stray paper on the ground. The LTOs really like it in August in Atlanta.

BAFs are a huge hit in the warehouses I've been to that had them. They move some serious air with very low speeds. One of the DCs I worked, we put three of them over a dock area that was about 900' long. We could only turn them on about half speed because they would blow papers off the supervisor's desk and any stray paper on the ground. The LTOs really like it in August in Atlanta.

I’m a big fan of ceiling fans in general. BAF has the market cornered on the high quality, efficient, modern designed fans. So you do get what you pay for, but you pay a lot. I think given the space and the HVAC I’ll be really glad I made the investment, any by buying them it when I did (took 6 months of negotiating) I saved a good chunk vs retail so I felt I got a good deal.

Once I turn them on I expect I’ll turn them off about a year after I’m dead.

They're finishing up the epoxy flooring today:

2021-03-26.jpg

This floor coating is THICK (or is the proper spelling today "thicc"? I'm confused)

I'm really happy with how it's coming out. This is the industrial product.

Then that ONE bug lands in it and it's ruined for all time!

They warned me both when I chose to go without flakes and again todya that there would be flaws, and they'd show up more. I said I knew that going in. It's clear that they're doing a way better job than I could, and the "flaws" will be such that they won't really matter. It's a shop. It was going to add another 6% or so to the cost to add flakes, I don't really like the look of the flakes, and they would make it harder to find bolts.

I'm happy with how it's coming out. Next week, vehicles can move in.

Chainfall for lifting things to the mezzanine for storage?

Its missing a sketchy calendar of women (or men, I dont judge) and a desk full of parts that will never ever be used. Its too neat right now..

Its missing a sketchy calendar of women (or men, I dont judge) bearing tool makers logo, smudged with greasy fingerprints and a desk full of parts that will never ever be used. And a few dozen incomplete projects under varying levels of dust. Its too neat right now..

FTFY.

His calendar would probably me a "Men of Caterpillar" edition. :)

Hey now, I don’t judge on calendar preferences, but any scantily clad calendars (or shirts or posters) most definitely would be featuring women. :)

Hey now, I don’t judge on calendar preferences, but any scantily clad calendars (or shirts or posters) most definitely would be featuring women. :)

I just figured you might make an exception if they were posed with some really clean Cat 3406 or 3408, lol.

I just figured you might make an exception if they were posed with some really clean Cat 3406 or 3408, lol.

In that care I’d just want the engine in there.

Looks really nice.

How often will the floor cleaning crew come by?

As often as you want ;)

We’re planning on checking Craigslist regularly to find a used auto scrubber.

There’s got to be one for Laurie.

Last edited:
You consider a drain in the floor?

I considered it, but I decided against it in the end. Although a drain would've been useful, in the end I'm not planning on having water in there. I didn't want to add extra complexity to the concrete work and the permit/inspection/approval process.

This shop has no plumbing currently and I doubt I will ever add it. I knew I didn't care about having a bathroom in it (mostly just extra square footage that would've been taken up and one more toilet to clean) and while there are lots of uses for water, I didn't think any of them weren't something that couldn't be handled by a hose which was much easier to get from the outside.

One thing I do need to get, though, is a push-behind scrubber.

There’s got to be one for Lori.

I don't care what Lori wants.

Laurie, on the other hand, gets whatever she wants. ;)

I considered it, but I decided against it in the end. Although a drain would've been useful, in the end I'm not planning on having water in there. I didn't want to add extra complexity to the concrete work and the permit/inspection/approval process.

This shop has no plumbing currently and I doubt I will ever add it. I knew I didn't care about having a bathroom in it (mostly just extra square footage that would've been taken up and one more toilet to clean) and while there are lots of uses for water, I didn't think any of them weren't something that couldn't be handled by a hose which was much easier to get from the outside.

One thing I do need to get, though, is a push-behind scrubber.

I don't care what Lori wants.

Laurie, on the other hand, gets whatever she wants. ;)
Sorry about the spelling. It’s early here and I couldn’t remember.

Reactions: Ted
This left me with the mental image of a bare slab with a garage door standing at one end after a tornado...

The diameter of the bolts sheared off when the Tornado takes off with your pre-fab steel building goes into the math used by the damage assessment folks to decide on the damage category (EF3, EF4 etc.).

2021-03-26.jpg

This floor coating is THICK (or is the proper spelling today "thicc"? I'm confused)

I gather you are not going to work on the Dozer in there :) .

Reactions: Ted

2021-03-26.jpg

I never would have thought of a spiral staircase for a barn loft but seeing it now it makes a lot of sense.

Back