Thinking about fixing my barn or building a hangar

I never would have thought of a spiral staircase for a barn loft but seeing it now it makes a lot of sense.

I was somewhat struggling with how I wanted to handle a staircase for the shop. I didn't like the idea of a normal staircase because it takes up a lot of square footage. The spiral staircase gives me a lot more room on both sides which also means more length for the RV, etc. Plus it looks cool, which is another positive when you figure this is a shop that I want to enjoy.

I'm really happy with the end result. I'm also not convinced it cost much different vs. if I'd just had a staircase built out of wood.

You have lots more space in the garage now.

I'll fix that problem soon.

I see tracks! ;)

Dammit Ted!!! You got the floor dirty! LOL

Yeah, I know. And then I went and made it worse by parking my truck inside too!

2021-03-31.jpg

Just looking at how much space the truck takes up, I think it's probably fairly unlikely it will live in the shop a whole lot. It does take up a lot of space and once the RV is in on the other side, I'm not sure how much maneuvering space there will be. My expectation is the truck will mostly only be in the shop for maintenance or when we're on the road. Otherwise, it can live under the overhangs and still be a lot more protected than it was before.

You need a mirror ball and open skate night on Fridays.

Put the band upstairs.

The kids are thoroughly disappointed that their days of roller skating in the shop have come to an end. But with things moving into the shop, they can roller skate on the driveway again.

The kids are thoroughly disappointed that their days of roller skating in the shop have come to an end. But with things moving into the shop, they can roller skate on the driveway again.
Nothing says "childhood" like picking embedded gravel out of a knee and elbow after crashing while trying to skate on it.

Surprised you have not yet constructed a cable-lift hoist platform to bring "stuff" up and down to/from the mezzanine.

Surprised you have not yet constructed a cable-lift hoist platform to bring "stuff" up and down to/from the mezzanine.

He has relegated that duty to the front-end loader on his tractor. A simple block/tackle might be a bit more convenient for the smaller stuff though.

Reactions: Ted

321782f7fb4591a7ecf0c95b7f4f7f25.jpg

As @SoonerAviator noted, the front end loader does a really good job of that for now.

Really, the higher priority is an autoscrubber. I've never bought one before, and of course they aren't cheap. I'm thinking I'm willing to spend roughly $1k on a new one. I also have absolutely no idea what a good one is or looks like. Any suggestions from anyone on that?

Really, the higher priority is an autoscrubber. I've never bought one before, and of course they aren't cheap. I'm thinking I'm willing to spend roughly $1k on a new one. I also have absolutely no idea what a good one is or looks like. Any suggestions from anyone on that?

I only have minor experience with the larger ride-on ones in a manufacturing environment where we were keeping isles clean from machine lubricant/coolant. They seem to work pretty well, but I guess it just depends on how much you think you'll really use it. By that, I mean are you just dealing with dust/dirt that a leaf blower or pressure washer would make quick work of, or do you really want to "mop" the floor once a month? I feel like it may be a cheaper option just to rent one a few times per year (if available) rather than purchase one outright and have to maintain it.

I only have minor experience with the larger ride-on ones in a manufacturing environment where we were keeping isles clean from machine lubricant/coolant. They seem to work pretty well, but I guess it just depends on how much you think you'll really use it. By that, I mean are you just dealing with dust/dirt that a leaf blower or pressure washer would make quick work of, or do you really want to "mop" the floor once a month? I feel like it may be a cheaper option just to rent one a few times per year (if available) rather than purchase one outright and have to maintain it.

What I'm looking at is the regular oil spills/drips that are likely to occur, and trying to keep up with cleaning up those better. I've never used one so I could be completely misunderstanding the realities, but what I really like is I simply push it over the area and it cleans/scrubs/dries as I walk, so unlike a pressure washer or leaf blower I don't have to worry about water/mess getting all over and then having to do something with it.

While we were out on vacation there was not as much work done on the shop as I'd like, but some was done. The new lights were put in (other than the mezzanine lighting, we still have to decide what we're going to do for those). My HVAC guy got Covid and has been feeling pretty rotten with it, so nothing there, but they had finished up inside and just need to put the outdoor units in.

Today I started hanging up some of the wall paraphernalia, and moved in two of Laurie's toys (the Triumph and the XKR):

upload_2021-4-22_18-2-36.png

I need to figure out placement of the lifts, other tools, storage, RV... etc. etc. But it's coming along.

A few more flags up in the shop:

upload_2021-6-22_11-18-56.png

Back