Thinking about a Bus/RV

Discussion in 'Hangar Talk' started by Ted, Jul 17, 2020.

1. Spring Ford

Spring Ford Line Up and Wait

Display name:
    SpringFord
    30,000 miles; 750 hrs at 40mph
    19 weeks at a full time job (40h a week). 9 1/2 weeks a year.

Holy watersports!

Ted likes this.
  2. Ted

Ted The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted

Display name:
    iFlyNothing
    In the first year we owned it we spent roughly 11 calendar weeks on the road, with a lot of driving hours and miles. I suspect that your estimated average speed of 40 is probably about right. Average our highway driving (65-75) with the mountain roads and local driving. It’s not fast.

It’s been great. But I think going forward we’ll see some more weekend trips (like race/motorcycle weekends) and adding longer trips in to hit places we haven’t out west. Plus we have eastern states to make.

3. Ghery

Ghery Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    Ghery Pettit
    Sounds like my great grandfather's approach to building a house. If 1 2x4 would do, use 2. Overbuilt, but they lasted a long time.

MauleSkinner likes this.
  4. Ted

Ted The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted

Display name:
    iFlyNothing
    We just got back from our latest RV trip. This one took us up north to northern Minnesota (Voyageur's National Park) and Wisconsin (the Apostle Islands). We had a good time at both places and would recommend visiting. Best of all, while it was in the mid 90s back home, it was in the mid 70s up there.

The RV performed great. I didn't get as much of an opportunity to test the solar as I expected as we had mostly nights with electric hookups. However on the few nights where we did run on batteries and solar the next morning, everything did very well. On our last trip we had to run the generator 4 hours or so a day to give the batteries enough charge to maybe make me coffee in the morning. This time we had no problems making my coffee, using the microwave to cook breakfast, etc., and that was even with watching an evening movie, keeping the vent fans on, etc. I'm pretty happy with that performance. My cooling fans for the solar controller are working as intended as well. Basically, everything is looking good there. I do still need to do something with batteries, but I have to decide on what and when. I think the answer is lithium, but not today. I need to do some more research.

The engine definitely is happier with the new tune. I had 3 good fill-ups with good data, and they were 8.5-9 MPG, with the generator running most of it, towing the Rover, and some stop-and-go thrown in with all of them. That's good consistency and also better than I would've expected previously. I didn't have any legs with strong headwinds or conditions that would've given some particularly bad mileage, but it was surprisingly good and consistent all around.

I can say I'm happy with my coolant temps and the cooling system now. The pusher fans I added to the intercooler do a good job. Not perfect, of course, but they do make a noticeable improvement in airflow and help with cooling and performance. It's most noticeable if I turn them on and then get on the highway or otherwise have some sort of hard acceleration.

Before I left on the trip I'd checked the turbo wastegate, which appeared to be frozen - specifically I think the actuator arm is probably seized onto the wastegate arm.. After contemplating its behavior, intake air temperatures, things of that sort, I think what I want to do first is try to free it up, and then see what the new boost, IAT, and EGT behaviors are. From there, I can decide what (if any) changes I want to make to the turbo. I do think there are improvements to be made, but if it's not working correctly now, then it's not a good comparison.

Back to the drawing board...

TCABM and Matthew like this.