Thinking about a Bus/RV

Discussion in 'Hangar Talk' started by Ted, Jul 17, 2020.

1. Ted

Ted The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted

Display name:
    iFlyNothing
    I’d had that thought. It would split the block in half, but I’d had the thought.

If I blow up the 12A in the RX7 I’m thinking a Renesis engine is a better solution. 100 lbs lighter and 100 HP more.

2. Ted

Display name:
    iFlyNothing
    I'd planned on putting the new turbo on the bus today, only to find that Cat had left out a few parts that I needed, so that was short lived. But I did get the new turbo clocked to the correct position so that the compressor, turbine, and oil inlet/outlet are all facing the proper directions.

Then I went to go add the water pressure tank/accumulator I'd bought since I'd gotten foiled in putting the exhaust manifold and turbo on, only to find that I had bought the wrong size fitting. Grr.

So then I decided to attach the fuel cooler that I'm adding (this was originally the oil cooler I'd put on the RX-7 that was undersized and the hoses blew, but it will do just fine in a low pressure return application). I attached that to the brackets for the transmission coolers, and so now I just need a couple of couplings and some hose and clamps to hook that up.

I then did another couple of tweaks. I replaced the thermostats (190F stock) with 180F stats. The reason for this is to try to get more coolant flowing through the radiator before the electric fans start to kick on. In a normal front radiator setup, there's a lot of excess airflow just going down the road. With a rear radiator bus there's not as much of that, and the fans end up having to force some amount through. Since these thermostats take something on the order of 10-20F to open fully (I've heard different numbers), that results in full coolant flow at a lower temperature. Essentially, a normal front radiator setup has full airflow and then adds coolant flow. Mine is more the reverse - get full coolant flow, and then add the air.

I also added the Amsoil Dominator Coolant Additive that @jesse was insistent will lower my coolant temperatures. So far it's working - the engine was showing 60F coolant temp! Oh, wait, it hasn't run since November. ;)

3. Ted

Display name:
    iFlyNothing
    I put a video together of the turbo and exhaust removal: