They knew who I am

You can actually hide your address so no one sees it.
Yeah but then when somebody takes a screenshot of the FAA registration page of an aircraft there wouldn’t be an address and then some idiot would have nothing to complain about.

Price of flying in controlled airspace in 2020. Don't like it much myself, I suppose I can always pull the breaker if it bothers me that much. Has its advantages though.

Needed to get my currently NORDO airplane back into my home airport (which is a Delta) the other night. Called the tower, told them the score, and asked them to watch for me inbound. If they couldn't raise me they'd know I was NORDO and could break out the light gun. Turned out to be a non event (actually, my first night flight in years and the first to my now home airport, but I digress). With the ADSB they knew who I was. Without I'd just be another target at squawking VFR.

Not a problem in the Cub :D
Seriously, I have the same concerns about privacy and government "interference". Labeling it "safety" doesn't make it any better.
That's the same excuse they used for Homeland Security and the TSA.

If you have a toll pay transponder on your car, 'they' have a pretty good idea where you are. Oh, if you have a mobile phone, 'they' have a pretty good idea where you are.

Would I rather not be tracked? Yes.

Do I have bigger things to worry about? Yes...

But that's just me.

If you have a toll pay transponder on your car, 'they' have a pretty good idea where you are. Oh, if you have a mobile phone, 'they' have a pretty good idea where you are.

But that's just me.

Then why the need to put a spy device in my airplane? Just monitor my cell phone.

Then why the need to put a spy device in my airplane? Just monitor my cell phone.

Your cell phone isn’t permanently installed, TSOd, with a certified WAAS position source...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because they thought it might be a good idea to bring air traffic management into the current century?

Clearly it bothers you and that's fine. For me, I've picked different battles to fight...

Says it takes up to a month to process, did you wait that long?
As Steingar has realized, and others will be realizing, the FAA block lists only apply to sites receiving FAA data or voluntarily agreeing to do the blocking. There are several ADS-B aggregation sites which collect data from private ADS-B receivers and do no blocking at all.

Ok, I can see some people might be bothered with that. I was thinking about the times I have been in BF Alaska and thinking if I have to make an unplanned off airport landing it would have been nice if someone knew where to start looking for the remains.

Unlikely. Look at Alaska coverages at different altitudes. The footprint is still pretty small. https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/programs/adsb/ICM/

Because they thought it might be a good idea to bring air traffic management into the current century?

Yes, ATC is moving into the current century! That's why we are required to install ADSB and keep last century's transponders!

I just don't have panel space to be adding more stuff unless I also take stuff out. But no can do, it's all required. Wonder if I can screw it onto the top of my panel below where the compass hangs down? Then I would need to build an enclosure for it, and guaranteed that would tick off every inspector who saw me taxi by . . .

Yes, ATC is moving into the current century! That's why we are required to install ADSB and keep last century's transponders!

I just don't have panel space to be adding more stuff unless I also take stuff out. But no can do, it's all required. Wonder if I can screw it onto the top of my panel below where the compass hangs down? Then I would need to build an enclosure for it, and guaranteed that would tick off every inspector who saw me taxi by . . .

There is a ADS-B Out solution that sits in the socket for your rear nav light. I suspect it will be TSO'd most likely later this year. There have also been ADS-B Out solutions that don't require anything in your panel at all since the beginning.

I dont really care if I am tracked or not just thought that it will not do it while squawking 1200

It depends. Any dual-band or 1090ES installation will always be broadcasting your position and ID. A 978 (UAT) only installation, with the right hardware, can have an "anonymous mode" that is activated when you squawk 1200.

You change the hard wired ID in a 1080es transponder?

Nothing is "hard wired."

I flew out of Central FL two weeks ago, picked up Flight Following, All they asked for was position and tail #. A few sec later, that called radar contact, PA32 state destination and requested Alt. Never told them PA32/G or anything. Later I was called out for traffic and they called a Lance to the other guy. Every one of my flights now show up, even just piddling around, 1200, not talking to anyone. GTX345 installed 2 years ago. Big brother is watching!

They could get that by looking up your tail number in the registration database too. Not that they'd have technology to automatically do that, WE'RE supposed to be the ones paying for the technology. ;)

Some of us actually knew this was the deal and didn’t fall for anything...

So how are you complying with the 2020 mandate?

Most people are blissfully unaware as well how many license plate readers are out there too for instance...

That's for sure. I got nailed for an expired registration 'cuz of one of those! The cop was not in a position to be able to see my sticker, but boy, she came right for me a minute later. And this was in a very small municipality.

Doesn't ADS-B have an anonymous mode?

Again, only if you have a 978-only ADS-B Out solution (which is pretty much restricted to US airspace below FL180). 1090 and dual-band can't do it.

You can have your tail number blocked so that it won't be broadcast out on the interwebs:

That's only true of sites that get their data from the FAA. Your airplane is broadcasting completely in the clear, all the time, and it's quite easy to build an ADS-B listening/tracking device with under $50 in hardware.

I think FlightAware tends to play by the rules because they get an FAA feed as well as an impressive crowdsourced ADS-B network. Others, like FlightRadar24, may not bother playing by the rules. I don't want to call them out because I'm not sure if they do or not, but at least one of the big names (I think either FlightRadar24 or Plane Finder) doesn't match their ADS-B against the ASDI list, so you'll show up there even if your plane is "blocked".

... the current century?
You mean the one that furthers government intrusion and loss of privacy/personal security for little benefit to yourself and with an onerous financial burden to "comply"?

That's only true of sites that get their data from the FAA. Your airplane is broadcasting completely in the clear, all the time, and it's quite easy to build an ADS-B listening/tracking device with under $50 in hardware.
This, my flights still show up on a lot of this stuff. There is even a sliver lining to even this very dark cloud. Mrs. Steingar can see my flights and knows when I've safely landed, giving her some piece of mind. I cannot deny that my little avocation is dangerous. I like whatever relief from worry (or perhaps advance notice of a good excuse for a party) I can give my spouse.

Doesn't ADS-B have an anonymous mode?

Yes.

But it will depend on whether or not your vendor supports it. Quoting from AOPA:

FAR 91.227 specifically allows operators with TSO-C154c-compliant 978UAT ADS-B Out equipment to temporarily transmit a self-assigned (randomized) 24-bit address, and no call sign. This option is not available for aircraft with 1090ES ADS-B Out equipment. Beginning January 1, 2020, the UAT anonymous 24-bit address feature may only be used in ADS-B-mandated airspace when the pilot has not filed a flight plan and is not requesting ATC services. The ADS-B call sign—for general aviation pilots, typically the aircraft’s N number—may be omitted only when using the anonymous 24-bit address.

FlightRadar24 and FlightAware will not display blocked tail numbers. In fact, they have a process you can use to selectively unblock your own plane or your own fleet. Plane Finder is mute on the subject.

You mean the one that furthers government intrusion and loss of privacy/personal security for little benefit to yourself and with an onerous financial burden to "comply"?

That's not at all how I see it, but I've made my point already. If that's your cross to bear, then so be it.

But that's just me.
Not exactly - you can control both those exposures: may have to start publishing auto GOS tracking info on senators and congressmen to make the point.

They’re hard coded...

Nope, you can change your tail number (together with mode s code that is generated from it) in the transponder installer's menu along with other parameters. That's how avionics shops do it when installing in your airplane.

I dont really care if I am tracked or not just thought that it will not do it while squawking 1200

Anyone with ADS-B receiver can see you when you are flying within line of sight.

Flightaware operates a network of ADB-B receivers across the country (flightradar24 does the same worldwide). They used to get information only from ATC and ATC usually doesn't track you if you are not talking to them, but they (Flightaware) use ADS-B data now, so they can track you all the time if you are equipped.

last week I went on local flying , just a joy ride around the area with practice approach at Dubois. I did not contact ATC and was squawking 1200 all the time. Out of curiosity today I checked my tail number on Flight aware and there it was , my entire flight track with all the information about altitude and speed etc. So looks like if you have ADS=B you will be continuously tracked even if you dont want to.
And such was the case with simple mode S as well.

So looks like if you have ADS=B you will be continuously tracked even if you dont want to.

So, when they decide to charge a "User Fee" for flying in their airspace, they "the gov'mint" well know when your wheels break ground and when the wheels squeak when you land. Then once a quarter you will receive your invoice in the mail.

So, when they decide to charge a "User Fee" for flying in their airspace, they "the gov'mint" well know when your wheels break ground and when the wheels squeak when you land. Then once a quarter you will receive your invoice in the mail.

It's not like they couldn't do it with Mode S transponder. It also transmits your unique mode S code that corresponds to your tail number.

wouldn't it be 'they knew who I was' ? I mean, my English be good, but it may also be bad, I dunno.

wouldn't it be 'they knew who I was' ? I mean, my English be good, but it may also be bad, I dunno.

I wish I could write well. And spell check just passes the wrong word if spelled correctly. Maybe I'll post my Rules to Write Good in the Friday Joke Day thread.

Back