They knew who I am

blueskyMD

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bigfoot297
last week I went on local flying , just a joy ride around the area with practice approach at Dubois. I did not contact ATC and was squawking 1200 all the time. Out of curiosity today I checked my tail number on Flight aware and there it was , my entire flight track with all the information about altitude and speed etc. So looks like if you have ADS=B you will be continuously tracked even if you dont want to.

Why would a person not want to be tracked in semi busy airspace.??

Why would a person not want to be tracked in semi busy airspace.??

Something about the deep state and big brother. Or just privacy. I do wish they had encrypted it all, but generally the FAA does have a need to know imho. And encryption makes the primary purpose less reliable...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So looks like if you have ADS=B you will be continuously tracked even if you dont want to.
You're saying this as though its a surprise. Wasn't that the whole idea behind ADS-B?

I dont really care if I am tracked or not just thought that it will not do it while squawking 1200

Something about the deep state and big brother. Or just privacy. I do wish they had encrypted it all, but generally the FAA does have a need to know imho. And encryption makes the primary purpose less reliable...

Ok, I can see some people might be bothered with that. I was thinking about the times I have been in BF Alaska and thinking if I have to make an unplanned off airport landing it would have been nice if someone knew where to start looking for the remains.

Good thing I use my partner’s discrete code when I fly the plane so B.B. can KMA.

Good thing I use my partner’s discrete code when I fly the plane so B.B. can KMA.

You change the hard wired ID in a 1080es transponder?

last week I went on local flying , just a joy ride around the area with practice approach at Dubois. I did not contact ATC and was squawking 1200 all the time. Out of curiosity today I checked my tail number on Flight aware and there it was , my entire flight track with all the information about altitude and speed etc. So looks like if you have ADS=B you will be continuously tracked even if you dont want to.

Yep....

I flew out of Central FL two weeks ago, picked up Flight Following, All they asked for was position and tail #. A few sec later, that called radar contact, PA32 state destination and requested Alt. Never told them PA32/G or anything. Later I was called out for traffic and they called a Lance to the other guy. Every one of my flights now show up, even just piddling around, 1200, not talking to anyone. GTX345 installed 2 years ago. Big brother is watching!

I dont really care if I am tracked or not just thought that it will not do it while squawking 1200

Radar tracks your transponder, but with your Never-Turn-It-Off ADSB Out device, it broadcasts all the time and identifies you all the time. Surely this is not still a surprise to everyone? That's the reason (besides the stupid-high cost due to certification requirements) that the FAA gives you traffic, weather, etc., in return--you fell for the carrot, too distracted to see the stick.

Radar tracks your transponder, but with your Never-Turn-It-Off ADSB Out device, it broadcasts all the time and identifies you all the time. Surely this is not still a surprise to everyone? That's the reason (besides the stupid-high cost due to certification requirements) that the FAA gives you traffic, weather, etc., in return--you fell for the carrot, too distracted to see the stick.

Some of us actually knew this was the deal and didn’t fall for anything...

You change the hard wired ID in a 1080es transponder?

Sometime I change it in flight. You might notice you were flying in Colorado yesterday, a nice leisurely flight around Longmont and Carter Lake and then back to Metro.

You can change the flight id, but not the equipment id

FYI

Mode-S/ADS-B identifies the aircraft uniquely among all in the world, in a similar fashion as a MAC number for an Ethernet card or the International Mobile Equipment Identity (IMEI) of a GSM phone.[citation needed] However, the FAA is allowing UAT-equipped aircraft to utilize a random self-assigned temporary ICAO address in conjunction with the use of beacon code 1200. 1090 ES equipped aircraft using ADS-B will not have this option.[57]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_dependent_surveillance_–_broadcast

Lolz!

What did you think it was for, it ain’t for your “saftey”

Meh - anyone with a cell phone or computer can look up your tail number on the FAA registration site and get your full address among other things.

Most people are blissfully unaware as well how many license plate readers are out there too for instance...

Meh - anyone with a cell phone or computer can look up your tail number on the FAA registration site and get your full address among other things.

You registered your plane to your name and home address??

Before I knew about an LLC. I look up a lot of N numbers I see on radar that violate the airspace.

You can change the flight id, but not the equipment id

I do what I want and if I want to fly under your hex code I will. Mostly I don't care. Just like with LPRs if you ain't doing nothing then I won't do a license-plate search on you.

I do what I want and if I want to fly under your hex code I will. Mostly I don't care. Just like with LPRs if you ain't doing nothing then I won't do a license-plate search on you.

They’re hard coded...

Technically they don’t know where you are, just your airplane.

Unfortunately I’m the only one that flys my plane.

If some poor sap had a female friend out of town and his wife tracked his plane he might have some spalaining to do.

I guess you could always turn it off and go vfr within the mandate.

You can request it from the faa or log in to the website, there is a box to check that says hide address or similar.
My address is hidden:)

Unfortunately I’m the only one that flys my plane.

If some poor sap had a female friend out of town and his wife tracked his plane he might have some spalaining to do.

I guess you could always turn it off and go vfr within the mandate.

If you have installed ADSB Out, you are not supposed to turn it off, airspace be durned. Them's just the rules . . . .

Hint; the "S" in ADS-B doesn't stand for "Safety"

Hint; the "S" in ADS-B doesn't stand for "Safety"

hes-right-you-know.jpg

Back