The "staying legal list"

timwinters

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
LTD
I think I've seen this topic here before but can't find it anywhere...

Admittedly, the older I get the harder it is to keep track of stuff and I *may have* recently let a date slip by without catching it. As a result, I made this list, put it on a label, and stuck it to the back of my logbook for easy reference. Am I missing anything? (SEL, IA)

...................................Last...............Due

Annual Inspection (12): _____________ _____________

XPDR/Alt/Static (24):.. _____________ _____________

VOR (30 days):.......... _____________ _____________

Medical (24):..... ......._____________ _____________

BFR (24):........ ........ _____________ _____________

IPC (6/12):...... . ...... _____________ _____________

And don't be talkin' no smack about the term BFR...that's WTF it is for me! ;)

Also, IPC generically means instrument currency.

Also, also, I have this as a .pdf formatted for Avery 5164 labels (6 / sheet), if anyone wants a copy I'd be glad to send it. Better yet, it's attached.

Attachments

• personal & aircraft currency checklist.pdf
    44.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Currency and night currency for carrying passengers. Foreflight tracks this for me.

Anything that gets checked at annual (ELT test, batteries, etc...) I don't bother with.
But the dates of concern: My BFR/Medical, Margy's BFR/Medical, the Annual, and the xpndr/ifr certs I put right on the first page of our checklist.

The GPS and VOR radios tell me when they are due at power up.

I use MyFlightBook for all of my personal currency things. It has a handy screen that I can pull up and find out if I am missing anything for day passengers, night passengers, tailwheel passengers, IFR, my medical, and my flight review. It also tells me about my annual, ELT, and VOR checks. I programmed an iPhone reminder for my GPS database. That way, even if I am nowhere near my plane or my logbook when the database expires, I won't get to the airport for a trip and suddenly find that I forgot to update it.

The one thing you did not put on your list that you should is an oil change, every 50 hours or however often you change it.

If you are going to track your personal currency on the back cover of your logbook, you'll need more space to keep track of your recent landings and it will quickly become unwieldy. Here's how I would handle that if I primarily used a paper logbook: Look at your two most recent logbook pages before you fly with passengers. If you can't tell from those two pages whether you are current or not for the type of flight you are planning, then assume you aren't and go do some stop-and-go's before loading everyone else up.

You have 3 VOR's? When would you not check all 3 of them?

I read that as knowing that he would check the VOR(s) more often than the other things.

ELT and any ADs that don't fall on the annual.
The ELT doesn't have to be done at the annual, just annually but most people (including me) have it done at the annual. The batteries are just duracels, and likewise if they're within 12 months of dying, I put new ones in at annual.

My plane doesn't have any ADs that repeat more often than annually.

The ELT doesn't have to be done at the annual, just annually but most people (including me) have it done at the annual. The batteries are just duracels, and likewise if they're within 12 months of dying, I put new ones in at annual.

I haven't had a "modern" ELT, but my batteries were good for a year from manufacture date. When they were replaced at the Annual, the expired a month before the next one.

People that do the “13 month annual” like we usually do... put it in at the end of a month, get it back signed off in the next month, just how it usually works out at the shop... have to watch out for true 12 month hard ADs and such.

As far as the OPs list goes, I don’t like mixing the plot list and the airplane list. I keep two. My legality and the airplane’s flightworthiness aren’t mixed on the same checklist / list of times and hours. Just a personal preference.

Currency and night currency for carrying passengers.
I thought about that but in the first case I'm never out of currency. In the second, I'm never current. So, for me at least, it's a no-brainer. Others, though, may well have a valid need.

I read that as knowing that he would check the VOR(s) more often than the other things.
Correct answer.

Exact same scenario for me but that's good info for folks who have ADs that are based on hours.

And like someone said, the GPS tells me if it's current or not so I didn't see a reason to put it on the list. Of course, I have to actually look at it when I fire up. ;)

The one thing you did not put on your list that you should is an oil change, every 50 hours or however often you change it.

True, if it wasn't on the oil change sticker on the windscreen. For those who don't know, O'Reilly (and likely all other parts houses) give away free static oil change stickers. I get a dozen or so at a time...use them on all my farm eqiupment also. I also write the date and hours on the filter when I change the oil and that's inspected during pre-flight.

A lot of good input especially for others who may have different circumstances.

My spreadsheet has:
  • annual
  • elt
  • xponder
  • altimeter, pitot static
  • vor
  • oil changes
  • insurance renewal
  • 430w navdata
  • basicmed course
  • basicmed physical
  • night currency
  • ifr currency
  • BFR

Out of curiosity what does the transponder check entail? If ATC recognizes you at the right altitude and position is that a check? Asking for a friend.

Out of curiosity what does the transponder check entail? If ATC recognizes you at the right altitude and position is that a check? Asking for a friend.
A certified repair station checks pressure altitude along with altimeter and transponder (mode C) altitude. It's in the FARs.

Back