the "not worthy of it's own thread" thread

Compared to real Chinese it’s meh. Compared to Chilpotle it’s haute cuisine.

Reactions: WDD
Yeah - kind of cryptic there. I go there sometimes for lunch when I don’t have a lot of time. If I want something a bit better I’ll go sit down at a local Chinese spot.

Panda Express - has drive through, and is staffed by star buck hipsters working their second job.

Local Chinese Restaurant - will make to order Americanized Chinese food and is staffed usually by Asian Americans.

Compared to real Chinese it’s meh. Compared to Chilpotle it’s haute cuisine.
Yeah, it’s tough to suck as badly as Chipotle. Panda Express is OK if you’re desperate and they’re the only thing open.

A retractable gear switch, complete with lights...
Considered installing something similar in an experimental I intended to build. Forms good muscle memory for an eventual transition to retract. Same reason why some pilots use the GUMPS check in a fixed gear, or say "gear down and bolted".

I have no idea why chipotle gets so much love from my generation. Its between good and garbage.

First time I've noticed an altimeter like this.
Does this thing have its major increments in thousands of feet (1-15) rather than hundreds?
If so - curious what kind of use-case this would normally be for?
1707493435081.png

I’ve tried Chipotle twice, both have been garbage. There won’t be a third.
One of my guys brought in lunch from Chipotle. In London. It was, as you might expect, inedible. I've no idea why one would go the effort to find a Chipotle when there were several perfectly fine little delis and lunch places within a two minute walk from the office.

First time I've noticed an altimeter like this.
Does this thing have its major increments in thousands of feet (1-15) rather than hundreds?
If so - curious what kind of use-case this would normally be for?
View attachment 125220
Older airplanes had single hand altimeters calibrated in thousands of feet. That's the reason one of the requirements for ifr aircraft is a "sensitive" altimeter with a 100's hand and a kollsman window.

NASM-NASM2014-04800.jpg

Yours looks like a modern replacement, judging by the "made in China" text. Maybe made for the vfr only experimental market.

I'm hesitant to buy a Makita impact driver from Amazon because it might be a return or a clone, even though I've had no trouble with purchasing other tools from Amazon. But more importantly, I sometimes buy vitamins from Amazon and don't even think about it.

I'm questioning the sanity of some of my risk based decisions. Nothing new, really. And no, I don't really need another impact driver.

I'm hesitant to buy a Makita impact driver from Amazon because it might be a return or a clone, even though I've had no trouble with purchasing other tools from Amazon. But more importantly, I sometimes buy vitamins from Amazon and don't even think about it.

I'm questioning the sanity of some of my risk based decisions. Nothing new, really. And no, I don't really need another impact driver.
I've bought all my Makita stuff (something like 15 tools and about the same number of batteries) from Amazon without issue, and of course you need another impact driver. What will you do if you break one? I ran mine over with the forklift about a year ago, and I had to drive screws with a drill that day. Yuck. So I bought two drivers. From Amazon.

I just gazed out the window... to see light snow just starting to accumulate on the grass.

First the forecast was 4" to 8"

Then ohmygawd bombogenesis and 9" to 13"

Then 2" to 4"

Now the forecast is less than 1/2"

As much as weather forecasting has improved in the past 25+ years, today was a complete swing and miss in the Boston area...

Eight + inches of snow, here (KPOU). Too lazy to get a yardstick and get an accurate measure.
I'm sure the poor folk hangers won't be dug out before Thursday.

Yesterday, I had my first mechanical breakdown in a car that I owned. I had a pretty good run but all good things must come to an end. The water pump and possibly more of the cooling system in my 2019 Yukon decided it had had enough of the -25F and self-destructed. We were able to limp to a gas station and get a ride the last 50 miles home. My shoulders are sore just from watching the video on how to replace the water pump in my car so, even if that ends up being the only problem and even if I didn't hate bleeding cooling systems, I would be taking this one to a professional. Anyone want to bet on the over-under between this repair and my next annual inspection?
I realize I'm way late to this comment, but hopefully you had them go ahead and get rid of the active fuel management (new cam, new non-AFM lifters) while you had it in the shop.

Eight + inches of snow, here (KPOU). Too lazy to get a yardstick and get an accurate measure.
Winter weeds are popping up through the dormant sod. Got to get the lawn people out this week to treat the yard.

it's a GO, I reckon..........

Occasional severe turbulence below 10,000 feet. Due to strong low level winds. SIGMET ends 21 minutes before flight estimated to reach area.

I do not have Jury Duty tomorrow.
When they interview for jury duty I give them my version of the Judge Roy Bean approach, "Weez gonna have us a fair trial followed by a first class hanging!" :biggrin:

I kid of course ...

Maybe 70 miles north of you, and no snow here at all...might get 1/2" by morning, IF it starts snowing. Which is good, because I need the power to stay on so I can order that impact driver.

No hurricanes or tornados here.

The wife told me that we needed to get an airplane the other day. I decided to lock that in as her final answer.

I realize I'm way late to this comment, but hopefully you had them go ahead and get rid of the active fuel management (new cam, new non-AFM lifters) while you had it in the shop.
What's the effect of that active fuel management? Would a dealership service department be allowed to do it?

What's the effect of that active fuel management? Would a dealership service department be allowed to do it?
AFM (DoD for Dodge) is cylinder deactivation. Shuts down 4-cylinders of a V8 when at low load to improve fuel economy. Unfortunately just about every iteration of the tech results in increased oil consumption and lifter failure. It is particularly bad in the GM LS-series engines and has resulted in some collapsed lifters and valvetrain damage. I believe there are some lawsuits with both the 5.3L and 6.2L variants (both of which are available in the Tahoe/Yukon depending on trim level) failing under 100K. I have heard of dealerships swapping the parts at owner request, but can't verify that. Moving to the non-AFM parts (found in Corvettes and other sport applications) seems to eliminate the issues.

Last edited:
Hadn't thought of it before. Am thinking of it now. Thanks so much.

Hadn't thought of it before. Am thinking of it now. Thanks so much.
Depending what work you are having done, it could just be cost of parts of they were pulling heads or anything after the overheat. I had two LS 5.3L engines (one GMC, one Pontiac) that drank 2qts of oil every 5K miles. The GMC actually fouled the catalytic converters because it burned so much oil. All that in under 120K miles on both of them.

I am in a few Yukon/Tahoe/Suburban Facebook groups and they talk about deleting AFM constantly. They also talk about 6.2L failures (Denali/Escalade/Tahoe RST) like they happen all the time, but I feel like it's more urban legend than truth.

The home drome that my place of business shares a fence with is finally getting around to completing said fence. I asked a local A&P if he knew why the sudden change. He said that the city (which owns the airport) recently had to buy a part 91 operator a new King Air because they hit a deer on the runway and the fence was incomplete.

Whatever works, I guess.

Back