the "not worthy of it's own thread" thread

Wow. I don’t pop into this thread often. That’s a great story. If one’s handy, share a pic, svp
What took you to KFFA today?

My long solo XC in Jan ‘92 was from Horace Williams (sadly, historic airport closed by NIMBY transplants-they should stay in C.A.R.Y. ;) to KFFA and over oacraoke.
Unfortunately no pictures from today. We were in town visiting family and popped in for a walk and to check out the new visitors center.

I remember when Horace Williams closed. It was dumb. That airport provided a lot of benefit to the community.

Ok, sitting here paying bills and thinking of an easy way to make money.

McKinley County, where I live, has, or used to have a crime stopper program that would pay a person 50 bucks to turn in a drunk driver. The payment comes after the conviction of.

So. If I turn myself in do I get the 50 bucks.??

Might be worthy of its own thread:
Why are there so many adverts with lies?
A P210 with tip tanks that is supposedly FIKI certified while the flint website sais clearly that with the tanks installed the certification isn't valid anymore.

I had to get my annual bloodwork done the other day. You know the deal, fast all day then go get it done all while your stomach is going nuts! Why don’t these places have taco trucks parked right outside the door? Pretty much everyone walking out is hungry! Seem like a great business idea.

Might be worthy of its own thread:
Why are there so many adverts with lies?
A P210 with tip tanks that is supposedly FIKI certified while the flint website sais clearly that with the tanks installed the certification isn't valid anymore.
Perception is reality. Also probably no takesies backsies.

BREAK BREAK

When wishing folks a happy new year... do you wish it today? Or tomorrow? Since, the new year is tomorrow technically

Perception is reality. Also probably no takesies backsies.

BREAK BREAK

When wishing folks a happy new year... do you wish it today? Or tomorrow? Since, the new year is tomorrow technically
Frohes neues und guten Rutsch.

It's like saying Mahlzeit all day as a greeting at work even when it isn't lunchtime.

I had to get my annual bloodwork done the other day. You know the deal, fast all day then go get it done all while your stomach is going nuts! Why don’t these places have taco trucks parked right outside the door? Pretty much everyone walking out is hungry! Seem like a great business idea.
My favorite was when my wife was working as a phlebotomist. She would have the doctors office send the order over to where she worked. I woke up in the morning, hung my arm over the side of the bed, she drew a couple tubes of blood, then took them with her to work. I got up and had my coffee and breakfast.

I called ATC and asked for 'expedited service.' They declared an emergency for me. They weren't wrong. I'll get around to posting a thread, I reckon. Plane is not further broken from my power-off landing. Pax are fine so that's good. Will get the update hopefully tomorrow AM on the root cause of the problem.

Glad you're OK! Pretty sure a power off landing that you didn't plan in advance is worthy of a thread... And maybe a cookie, or a piece of pie or something as well.

I called ATC and asked for 'expedited service.' They declared an emergency for me. They weren't wrong. I'll get around to posting a thread, I reckon. Plane is not further broken from my power-off landing. Pax are fine so that's good. Will get the update hopefully tomorrow AM on the root cause of the problem.

eh??

Happy that you are here to post about it.

Cheesecake.

And beer.
Sounds like you could use an 8-hour break from being PIC. But maybe something stronger that goes better with cheesecake? Looking forward to hearing the rest of the story about your good landing.

Glad you all are ok! How about I buy you a beer next time!

I am off to shovel snow off the back sidewalk. Only 88 feet to the garage.

If I am not back in 3 hours will someone call 911 for me.??

EDIT: Cancel the paramedics, I survived...

Last edited:
I am off the shovel snow off the back sidewalk. Only 88 feet to the garage.

If I am not back in 3 hours will someone call 911 for me.??

EDIT: Cancel the paramedics, I survived...
Obit: Strangely enough, he always filed a flight plan when snow shoveling, but never when flying an aircraft.

I bought a new coffee maker with a thermal carafe. It's awesome, however the law of unintended consequences has reared it's ugly head, and now I get to spend my mornings playing "where did I leave the coffee pot"....

I need the android equivalent of an airtag.

I bought a new coffee maker with a thermal carafe. It's awesome, however the law of unintended consequences has reared it's ugly head, and now I get to spend my mornings playing "where did I leave the coffee pot"....

I need the android equivalent of an airtag.
Or get an AirTag. There’s an app for that.

Or get an AirTag. There’s an app for that.
I was not aware of that. One of the seed companies gave me an airtag one time. I wonder if it's still around here somewhere. That seems a little ironic, doesn't it?

I haven’t flown all year and I’m pretty bummed about it
Same. Hopefully heading south out of here tomorrow before the storm though.

Today I opened up the mailbox and see a big orange envelope from the FAA. I just did my PPL checkride in October, and got my certificate card last month, so naturally, I'm wondering what did I screw up. Some errant entry in my medical records from a doctor three decades ago? My name got crossed up with some serial killer? It can't be anything I did, I looked over my medical records before going to my AME, I'm clean otherwise, and I haven't had an incident in an airplane. So do I open it now and maybe ruin my Sunday? Or do I wait and wonder? So I open it now and it's just the FAA Safety Briefing magazine. Thanks a lot FAA, could you please make your routine correspondence less menacing looking?

It snowed today. First time firing up the snow blower this year, and just barely worth it with about 6" or so. Happy to have it, but it's become a once a year thing, rather than a once every two weeks in winter thing, and that's in upstate NY. Have a feeling they don't make as many of these as they used to be.

Today I opened up the mailbox and see a big orange envelope from the FAA. I just did my PPL checkride in October, and got my certificate card last month, so naturally, I'm wondering what did I screw up. Some errant entry in my medical records from a doctor three decades ago? My name got crossed up with some serial killer? It can't be anything I did, I looked over my medical records before going to my AME, I'm clean otherwise, and I haven't had an incident in an airplane. So do I open it now and maybe ruin my Sunday? Or do I wait and wonder? So I open it now and it's just the FAA Safety Briefing magazine. Thanks a lot FAA, could you please make your routine correspondence less menacing looking?
My fantasy: The FAA is just using envelopes that were seized by the Secret Service, FBI, Postmaster General, and SEC from an aftermarket car warranty company after it pleaded guilty to mail fraud.

It snowed today. First time firing up the snow blower this year, and just barely worth it with about 6" or so. Happy to have it, but it's become a once a year thing, rather than a once every two weeks in winter thing, and that's in upstate NY. Have a feeling they don't make as many of these as they used to be.
I just finished shoveling snow for the second time 3 days, 4 times this year.

Forget the paramedics, someone send me a snow blower...

Several years ago, the GF pointed out that a snow blower was a lot less expensive than a heart attack.

But are they allowed to sell them in NM? I'm pretty sure you guys can own machine guns, but I'm not sure about snow blowers.

I like CST because it's easy to calculate UTC-6 and remember when the new TAFs come out.
Depending on what month it is (Daylight Savings and what not)

Depending on what month it is (Daylight Savings and what not)
That's what I meant....cst as opposed cdt

In other news, this was fun.
IMG_20240108_144247678_HDR.jpg

Forecast for LA and MS missed badly. I made some poor decisions. We're fine and the plane is fine. It was far more exciting than I like my flying to be. Turns out it's hard to dodge storms when they're moving north as fast as you're moving south. In the future, when that little voice says "you should just land here and not push your luck"... I'm listening.

That's what I meant....cst as opposed cdt

In other news, this was fun.
View attachment 124178

Forecast for LA and MS missed badly. I made some poor decisions. We're fine and the plane is fine. It was far more exciting than I like my flying to be. Turns out it's hard to dodge storms when they're moving north as fast as you're moving south. In the future, when that little voice says "you should just land here and not push your luck"... I'm listening.
I’ve had winds like that, but not that low. Yowza!

Back